Elixir strings

jep1210

Reaction score
Anybody use these? I tried them out based on the "sales pitch" by the guitar store guy. Apparently they're infused with some super duper NASA space material that's supposed to make them last longer and sound better. So I got a set of 10-46 gauge same as the D'addario I used previously on my 13 Les Paul Trad.

Verdict? Feels like I strung my guitar with re-bar, ya know, the stuff they reinforce cement with? Bends are "stiffer", and there doesn't seem to any give when the pick strikes the strings. How is it two different brands of strings the exact same gauge feel so different? I'll be going back to D'Addarios.

Not really complaining, I'll just go back to using my ole stand by's, just curious what others think about Elixir strings.

edselman

Reaction score
I use Elixers on my Taylor acoustic and just switched to them for my Stratocaster (10-46 gauge). I love them and haven't noticed a negative difference between them and the Ernie Balls I've been using. I believe that Elixers are coated with a material similar to Teflon. The coating is very thin but it sheads the gunk that normally accumulates on the strings and also provides lubrication. There is much less string noise and they don't require the use of string cleaner and lube.

rvschulz

Reaction score
I used them for one change and never bought them again. I didn't like the feel ...

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Anybody use these? I tried them out based on the "sales pitch" by the guitar store guy. Apparently they're infused with some super duper NASA space material that's supposed to make them last longer and sound better. So I got a set of 10-46 gauge same as the D'addario I used previously on my 13 Les Paul Trad.

Verdict? Feels like I strung my guitar with re-bar, ya know, the stuff they reinforce cement with? Bends are "stiffer", and there doesn't seem to any give when the pick strikes the strings. How is it two different brands of strings the exact same gauge feel so different? I'll be going back to D'Addarios.

Not really complaining, I'll just go back to using my ole stand by's, just curious what others think about Elixir strings.

I used to use them all the time especially on my Acoustics. They are excellent strings.

For some reason (I think a friend was ordering a bulk quantits of other strings) I started using the Gibsons on my acoustics and Fenders on my acoustics which are cheaper and have been just fine for me.

but in general I can only speak positive about the elixrs.
Don

Babylon

Reaction score
Love the nanowebs on Taylor acoustics . . . only.

Farquad

Reaction score
I have them on my Carvin 727, never tried them on a LP. Hated them on my Taylor's.
I will say that i do prefer the elixers over anything Ive tried from DR, but still prefer the feel of nickel.

MiniB

Reaction score
I use them on my acoustic and like quite a bit.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'd rather buy three packs of regular strings and just restring the guitar a few times. I can't stand the feel of Elixers. On an acoustic they also rob the tone of the low end boom and the high-end chime. Pay more to sound flat and have a weird feel under the fingers? No way!

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only use Elixr polywebs for the last year. I seem to have acidic hands cause I can rust out a pair of regular strings very quick. Sometimes within only a week. (Ernie Ball) The coating on these Elixr strings work for me. I've had a couple of guitars stung up with them for 6 months and they still sound fine and aren't rusty.

And no I am not Scott Grove :)

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 'em on my acoustic. Meh. They won't be going on my electrics.

johan.b

Reaction score
I've used nanowebs 10-46 for the last 6-8 years.. stays Bright forever and I only need to change strings when the dont tune/intonate any longer...much better for me than "changing becouse I've had them for a week".
they feel different,and it took a few Days to get used to them, but now I cant stand it when strings start to sound like rubberbands after only a few hours of playing
J

joba

Reaction score
I went through a stage of compulsively trying different string brands and gauges. Settled on using Elixir nano web 11-52 Phosphor Bronze on acoustics ,and Pyramid Nickel Classics Hand Polished 9-42 on electrics.

The Archer

Reaction score
I have used em in the past. They were good.

Didnt notice a tension difference over anything else when I used them.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Different strings for different users. There's no absolute in this.

When trying Elixir, I suggest making sure you get the "Nano" version which bears a
thinner coating than the regular Elixir.
I have put them on one of my Les Paul's because I wanted my friend to use it on a gig
and that's what he uses. I found I could adapt pretty easily.
The best side to them is if you don't use your guitar for a long time, when you pick it up again,
the strings won't be oxidized/dead.

If you use one particular guitar all the time, regular strings would do fine,
unless you sweat a lot and "kill" your strings after a couple of uses.
I had a friend that would "kill" my strings by picking up my guitar just to try it.
Eventually I made sure I would put the go-to guitar away before he came!

nutsauce

Reaction score
I used them for one change and never bought them again. I didn't like the feel ...

This, they just felt weird to me, like they were coated in powder or something. Usually with strings I'm not very picky, but do not like these at all. Seem to be a very polarizing product. Not many folks are middle of the road with them, either love them or hate them.

jep1210

Reaction score
I'll have to see if I have the Nanowebs. If not I may give them a try.

The one thing I DID like about the Elixir strings was, on normal steel strings the G string seemed to stick in/on the nut. While tuning, it would jump way sharp or flat, a little pencil lead helped but was kind of messy. With the Elixir strings tuning was smoother (obviously because of the coating) on the G.

Shad

Reaction score
I used Elixr strings exclusively for years, and I always liked 'em, but I was writing and recording my own music and not really playing out. Extra string life can mean a lot in that situation. Now that I'm playing out again, I've started using different brands of strings for different guitars, depending on the tone I want (it's not a huge difference, but there is some) and I keep Elixr strings on my guitars that I don't play as often.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use them on my acoustics and LOVE them. I kill strings very quickly (sweat and dirt) The Elixrs last 10x longer and sound fantastic.

I have never tried them on an electric.

Z2112

Reaction score
I have used 11's Nanoweb on my old 82 Norman acoustic guitar for years. I don't play her often. Its usually still in tune when I pick her up. I like the tone of the Elixir when the are stretched in and played for a while. I use to use Martin strings. Didn't hold up as well. Big fan of Elixir for acoustic only. I think the little extra money is worth it for me.

I use NY -XL D'adario on my electrics. Awesome strings !!

smurph1

Reaction score
I like em on my acoustic, but on my electrics I use Di Addarios!!

Latest Threads