Elitist with no logo

Tanqueray

Reaction score
So I found an Elitist, a faded SG model, that looks legit in every way except it doesn't have the flower decal on the back of the headstock that I've seen on every other Elitist I've handled. Any idea on what's up with that? Did some not come with the decal? It's a 2005 model iirc.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score

I don't think they stamped the serial# like it's on your pic :hmm:

and the logo covered with laquer was a sure sign of a legit Elitist

Tanqueray

Reaction score
Yeah it seems kinda suspect. I have owned a few of these including an SG and they all had the little elitist logo on the back. Pity because it looks great otherwise.

jason_mazzy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Weird. everything seems correct. the case is the right size and style. I would check the pickups. if they are original then you know.

LaoDan

Reaction score
LQ-Series had stamped serials. looks legit to me...

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
LQ series has open book headstock and I don't believe they did faded finishes in LQ. They also have "Made in Japan" printed under the serial number.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
could have been removed
It could have been removed but the finish doesn't look like it's been altered. This is a weird one for sure.

I'm not suggesting that this is an LQ series, only noting that EPIs from the era / factory had stamped serial numbers. i.e.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showpost.php?p=829960&postcount=7

cheers :)
You did say...
So I'm a bit confused.

LaoDan

Reaction score
It could have been removed but the finish doesn't look like it's been altered. This is a weird one for sure.

You did say...

So I'm confused.
... edit, I was kind of responding to post #4 in this thread, should have quoted

AK Epi Player

Reaction score

I don't think they stamped the serial# like it's on your pic :hmm:

and the logo covered with laquer was a sure sign of a legit Elitist

But in the pics it is the same guitar that the OP posted.

By looking at the above pictures, I think it has been stripped of the POLY coat, and re-done in a much thinner finish. That would explain the lack of the "Elitist" logo on the back of the Headstock, and the "non stock" appearance of the open grain look that the neck and headstock now have. Looks like a thin-coated Gibson "Studio" Lacquer, rather than the deep, glossy finish it would have left the factory with.

Perhaps?.... :hmm:

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
By looking at the above pictures, I think it has been stripped of the POLY coat, and re-done in a much thinner finish. That would explain the lack of the "Elitist" logo on the back of the Headstock, and the "non stock" appearance of the open grain look that the neck and headstock now have. Looks like a thin-coated Gibson "Studio" Lacquer, rather than the deep, glossy finish it would have left the factory with.

Perhaps?.... :hmm:
They did do a faded/worn cherry Elitist SG. You could strip one down but it would be a pain in the ass as they were finished in poly and you wouldn't get the pores cleaned out like that.

AK Epi Player

Reaction score
Never knew they did a SG in a finish like that. (learn somethin' every day!).

But, that doesn't account for the missing logo. And, it looks like the pores on this one are all full of white-ish crap, which helped lead me to my hypothesis. :dunno:

And now, we return to "Mystery Guitar Theater" :D

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Never knew they did a SG in a finish like that. (learn somethin' every day!).

But, that doesn't account for the missing logo. And, it looks like the pores on this one are all full of white-ish crap, which helped lead me to my hypothesis. :dunno:

And now, we return to "Mystery Guitar Theater" :D
A mystery it is. :)

Tanqueray

Reaction score
The seller got back to me, but he didn't know anything about the missing decal. He thought it strange as well. Who knows what's up with it. I went and spent my money on something else, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore. :)

Latest Threads