Elitist Pick-ups

rlh5599

Reaction score
I recently acquired a pair of Pickups from an Elitist Les Paul, (50SR and 60ST). I don't have 'em yet, what should I expect 'tone-wise' from them? I am replacing the 57's in my Epi LP. I know what PAF's sound like, and what burstbucker and stock epi pickups sound like.
Kind of an impulse deal, just wanted to try a little something different....:cool:

winexprt

Reaction score
I recently acquired a pair of Pickups from an Elitist Les Paul, (50SR and 60ST). I don't have 'em yet, what should I expect 'tone-wise' from them? I am replacing the 57's in my Epi LP. I know what PAF's sound like, and what burstbucker and stock epi pickups sound like.
Kind of an impulse deal, just wanted to try a little something different....:cool:
I really like them.

My only experience with them is they're the stock pickups in my 2002 Epi Elite Custom. I've considered switching them out but the more I played them the more they grew on me.

Tone-wise I'd have to say they're closest (IMO) to '57 Classics. They're very responsive and just have a nice classic "PAF-y" feel to 'em.

But I like the '57 Classics better. Honestly, you're kinda downgrading going from Classics to the 50SR /60ST combo. Just my 2¢.

rlh5599

Reaction score
Oh, the 57's I was referring to was the stock epiphone 57's, not gibson 57's.
Thanks!!

winexprt

Reaction score
Oh, the 57's I was referring to was the stock epiphone 57's, not gibson 57's.
Thanks!!
Oh! Did not know that. Thanks for the clarification. In that case they're an upgrade! :dude: :applause:

SexyGibson

Reaction score
Tone-wise I'd have to say they're closest (IMO) to '57 Classics. They're very responsive and just have a nice classic "PAF-y" feel to 'em.
I completely agree. I have always thought the Elitist pups were very similiar to '57 Classics which, for my taste, are a bit " bright " but rolling back on the tone knob does the trick.

mud guy

Reaction score
The bridge elite pickups are very high output (like 14 ohms) and overdrive my tube amps much easier than anything else I have.

rlh5599

Reaction score
Well I got 'em installed. After I rewired it sometime back with new 500k cts pots and mojo dijon 22's 50's style, I was REAL happy with the difference that made, but after I installed a set of classic 57's in a friends guitar, I realized what I needed. These elitist pups really livened this thing up. Nice and fat in the neck position, and hot and nasty at the bridge....but they calm right done with a flick of the volume control. Very nice.
Now I gotta find some new pups for my Korina Epi SG.....
Thanks to all for the replys!!

g8tr

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
I just put Elitist pups in my '89. Sound was good before, great now. :thumb:

danlee0502

Reaction score
Great sounding pups! I feel like it opens up and sounds a lot better in my LPC where the pots and caps were upgraded. But I'm again switching the caps to PIO and 50's wiring. Can't wait for it to come back from the shop. ^.^

winexprt

Reaction score
Great sounding pups! I feel like it opens up and sounds a lot better in my LPC where the pots and caps were upgraded. But I'm again switching the caps to PIO and 50's wiring. Can't wait for it to come back from the shop. ^.^
I've been thinking about putting PIO caps in my Elite Custom. I think that will really open up the tone compared to the little ceramic Tic-Tacs in there now. But I'm keeping the wiring stock even though I prefer '50's wiring, the stock wiring just seems right in this particular guitar.

Latest Threads