Electronic ear plugs?

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Apart from weekly rehearsal and monthly gigs (avg 3-4 hours), I also shoot recreationally in trap/skeet and rifle. I've never had a good experience using normal ear plugs at band events; no matter what I use there is too much high-end frequency loss to hear accurately how things sound. In-ear monitors are an option, but....

I usually use electronic earmuffs that suppress the high intensity bursts of gunfire at the range, but they're neither practical nor particularly stylish for gigs (hey, looks matter!).

I've thought about something like these:

Has anyone here tried these or something similar for band situations?

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I use passive custom molded plugs that cost about the same as those, and I can't imagine the one in the link are anywhere near as good. I got them with two sets of filters, I think -15dB and -9dB or so. The former are for long sessions, the latter for critical listening of an hour or less, as they have almost no impact on the perceived sound.

This looks like the closest to the model I went with: https://earinc.com/product/chameleon-ears-pro-musician-earplugs/

EDIT: I've used the electronic muffs for shooting as well, the advantage was I could wear them over foamies for maximum protection, then amplify the quiet sounds for easy communication.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^ This ^ -- I had them made at an audiologist. Worth every penny.

I could never use the electronic cans for rifle/shotgun. They prevented obtaining a good cheek weld (for me).

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I could never use the electronic cans for rifle/shotgun. They prevented obtaining a good cheek weld (for me).
The ones I had were deliberately compact for shooting.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I go to the MotoGP races I bring my over-ear hearing protection, and fill my backpack pockets with foamies to hand out to the idiot people that bring kids with no protection at all. I usually hand out over a 100 sets.

Things to bring to the races,

ears
sun screen
hat
sun glasses
cash
bottled water

It's amazing how many people fail to plan.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried a few different types of active ears.
The Axil Ghost Stryke work well for use at the outdoor range, but are not adequate for indoor ranges or if the guy next to you is shooting a magnum wheelgun (even outdoors).
For indoor shooting, I use active cans.

The biggest pain with the in-ear type was that they use hearing aid batteries, which don't last long even when removed when not in use, and they get expensive. I like the idea of the 3M units in the OP being rechargeable.

BUT... for a concert or gig, I find the tone transmitted by the in-ear speaker to be too harsh and brittle. There's also an issue of directionality, with the thing amplifying distracting noises from behind, such as the blower noise from the AC ducts. The cans are better, being forward-facing mics.
I'm sure all of these issues have improved in the last 10 years.
My comments are based on the original Ghost Stryke, not what Axil is selling now.
For active cans, I like Howard Leight.

Last edited:

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No friggin joke.

I'll check out the ear Inc. ones, too. Thanks!
The ears I wear at the track are the same ones I use at the indoor range. Shooting the Rem 7 mag rifle is LOUD.I like my hearing.

Latest Threads