electrical woes...again

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
as previously advertised, my weakest area in building is wiring.....more precisely trouble shooting. having just wired an lp style wiring job with all new components, i am getting a hum or buzz i can't locate. there is a telltale hum in the amp before plugging in a guitar, but when i plug in two i have had a while, the hum goes virtually completely away, as per norm. however, this new creature maintains it's hum. to the best of my ability, i checked grounds and all appear to be proper as indicated by my meter....jack, switch leads, pup leads, and caps, pots and bridge. again....i am ignorant of theory and the hows and why's of all this, but when i check each pole on the pups, some give a grounded reading and others don't. also, when i ground out the cap lead going to the tone pot, the hum goes dead, but so do the pups. any help would be appreciated. i have no one here i can take it too at this point. thanks

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
as previously advertised, my weakest area in building is wiring.....more precisely trouble shooting. having just wired an lp style wiring job with all new components, i am getting a hum or buzz i can't locate. there is a telltale hum in the amp before plugging in a guitar, but when i plug in two i have had a while, the hum goes virtually completely away, as per norm. however, this new creature maintains it's hum. to the best of my ability, i checked grounds and all appear to be proper as indicated by my meter....jack, switch leads, pup leads, and caps, pots and bridge. again....i am ignorant of theory and the hows and why's of all this, but when i check each pole on the pups, some give a grounded reading and others don't. also, when i ground out the cap lead going to the tone pot, the hum goes dead, but so do the pups. any help would be appreciated. i have no one here i can take it too at this point. thanks
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures.

They are worth a thousand of those things we use all the time...

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeh i know.....i've been having trouble loading pics. i'll see what i can do. thx

mistermikev

Reaction score
well in lieu of getting pics... double check your output jack and ensure you've got the ground going to ground. further... you make check continuity between your bridge piece and the ground on the jack... ie ensure your wire that grounds to your saddle is working correctly. from there you might compare the shielding from either guitar and whether it is connected to ground. just some ideas.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does the ground hum increase when you touch metal parts? humbucker covers? bridge, tailpiece, output jack?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how about when you switch pickups with the toggle switch?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how about when you switch pickups with the toggle switch?
i think you're on to something. when in the neck only position it amplifies, but buzzes. when the switch is moved to center or bridge, both pickups are dead...no buzz, but pups don't work

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
is sit possible to have grounded the wrong lugs on the pots? i always question myself when looking at diagrams if i'm looking at them backwards.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
50s. i may have seen it. i don't have the center lugs on the tone grounded. perhaps that's it....????

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
From the Wiring Library over at Tonefreaks subforum.
It's so valuable that I bump it regularly to keep it on top.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
okay....i soldered the two lugs to ground and it virtually eleminated hum, however now it hums when i touch the bridge or strings.

Latest Threads