EL84 amps suck,too thin sounding and cant keep up when gigging

Standard 64

Reaction score
Why is it I read that from amp builders on the amp building forums?And the reason builders ARE building them is mainly for the demand of them(gotta make a buck) by bedroom players.

LPV

Reaction score
Wow, somebody better tell Dan Boul this "news" quick so he can get his amps off of all the world tours and out of the recording studios. Maybe you should play more and read less. Merry Xmas.

JMV

Reaction score
You must have played some shitty el84 amps. The good ones have no problem keeping up in a gig.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Why is it I read that from amp builders on the amp building forums?And the reason builders ARE building them is mainly for the demand of them(gotta make a buck) by bedroom players.
I think those builders you read about do not know shit. Any decent amp builder will tell you wonders about EL84 circuits.

Next thread please.......:thumb:

jimmyohio75

Reaction score
I thought the same thing until I landed a new Dual Terror. That thing friggin rocks and can easily hang during gigs!!! EL84 goodness (although I am still an EL34 guy at heart).

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Well, of course you cant gig with a class 5, or a Valve Jr, or any of the bottom of the line massproduced amps. But like a DR.Z Maz 18, or a Marshall 1974X, or Vox AC 30/15, or any of the many killer boutique EL84 amps have PLENTY of balls.

onioner

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of EL84 amps I don't like. I've heard a lot of 6v6 amps I don't like. Seems a case of baby with the bathwater.

I do think that perhaps that of amps w/ EL84s, the percentage that sucks (or, isn't great, if you prefer) is greater than other tubes, but that's not the EL84's fault.

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
My experience is with Spitfire builds.
Too easy to let EL84's get into a mushy zone when designing.
Sensitive tubes.

But when done right?
They do sound great...as mentioned Dr. Z has some great examples.

My personal experience with Vox has been very limited, and not very good.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZKIyAS8Fzk]Godzilla - Hollow Hills (Cover) - YouTube[/ame]

Bite me.

Latest Threads