Effects Loop Attenuators

number41dl

Reaction score

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Crate V-Series Tube Amp, 33w 2x12.

It will let you reduce the volume of the clean channel without turning down the clean channel's gain.

As for the overdrive channel... it already has a master volume. Adding a volume knob to the FX loop will provide no further benifit for this channel.

number41dl

Reaction score
It will let you reduce the volume of the clean channel without turning down the clean channel's gain.

As for the overdrive channel... it already has a master volume. Adding a volume knob to the FX loop will provide no further benifit for this channel.

So the effects loop only affects the clean channel?

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
So the effects loop only affects the clean channel?

No. You're dirty channel already has a master volume. Adding another one via the fx loop is redundant. If you're amp is too loud, turn down the master volume.

Jason

Reaction score
Yeah, if your amp already has a master volume that's not going to do you any good... to get any improvement in sound you'll want to be looking at a real attenuator. Weber's are only like 100 bucks or so.

Jason

Reaction score
Just to be totally clear... the dirty channel is basically a master volume? If that's true, I can definitely attest to the fact that cranking that up sounds a world apart from cranking the whole amp... on my C30 at any rate.

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
That thingy in the e-bay picture is not an attenuator.
It's a simple volume box.
It is inexpensive. Helps control volume. You can to make it yourself for about $8.00 or buy one like this on ebay. I built one w/ parts that I got in one trip to my local radio shack.
It will lower preamp volume, but won't cause powertube saturation.
I made one of these to try and tame a Fender HRDX and get overdrive at lower volumes. Pretty usless really.

996ttcab

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. Attenuators can be a horrible tone bleed, even the nice ones. They are very simple devices and you could build one yourself so it is no surprise to find on this cheap. I would guess it is constructed to attenuate, but that is about all it does or it does that without regard to preservation of sound quality. Then again, I am pickier than most and refuse to use either my hot plate of my Weber Mass III.

number41dl

Reaction score
That thingy in the e-bay picture is not an attenuator.
It's a simple volume box.
It is inexpensive. Helps control volume. You can to make it yourself for about $8.00 or buy one like this on ebay. I built one w/ parts that I got in one trip to my local radio shack.
It will lower preamp volume, but won't cause powertube saturation.
I made one of these to try and tame a Fender HRDX and get overdrive at lower volumes. Pretty usless really.

I'm not looking for Power Tube saturation in this case - I love the sound of the clean tone, the big reason for wanting an additional control over volume is because right now, I can't play this amp in my house at a volume level above 1. The goal is to allow me to use my separate lead and clean volumes with more flexibility, since the amp is so loud that I have two choices for playing at home - way too loud (at or near 1), or barely audible (0.5 and beneath).

I'll probably end up going with a true attenuator, I just wanted to know if the effects loop variety made any sense, since its pretty cheap. One of the guys on eBay is pretty honest with his version, seen here:

Volume Tamer - Attenuator for Tube Guitar Amp Amplifier - (eBay.ca item 300268206190 end time 01-Nov-08 18:39:21 EDT)

996ttcab

Reaction score
I have a never used Weber Mass III with a rack mount plate that I will sell. I bought two, one for my rack and one to be portable and never installed the one in my rack as it is full now.

Latest Threads