Edwards MIJ question

jerryratpack

Reaction score
I saw an ad regarding a ESP Edwards (Made in Japan) Les Paul John Sykes Model.

I asked if thi is weight relieved because it I listed at 8.25 lbs
The seller said he understands that they use a different species of mohagony which gives it a lighter weight vs Gibson LP ???????

Also I asked the date of the guitar and the seller said he does not know off hand.

But there is a pic of the headstock with serial number ED 1052170

I am going to see if I can find this on my own, but just curious for those that know edwards guitars, if this sounds right so far ?

Going for about 950 us dollars

Edit update. If I am correct, it looks like the the guitar was made in December 17 th 2010 , from someone who has the date guides on the Internet....

So I really want to know if this is a solid body or weight releived and if the asking price is good for this guitar ?

Thanks

freebird2

Reaction score
The question about Edwards being so light in weight has been asked and answered in other posts, but here is the short version - Edwards uses a type of mahogany that is generally quite light. Use the search function for a more detailed answer to your weight question. From what I've read, the variety of mahogany used still produces some very nice sounding guitars. I've never owned nor played one, but there are many positive comments about Edwards on this forum.

JDB

Reaction score
Light as ****. Too light for my tastes.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I assume this Edwards is already in your country.

I have one and it is a really great piece of kit. Worth 950? Well they go for a little less than that brand new but that isn't counting shipping or import fees or the hassle of ordering from Japan as opposed to buying domestically. I would pay 950 shipped for one so long as I wasn't importing it. I think they're worth that money, especially when you compare them to a 1,400 dollar Les Paul Studio from Gibson. Give me binding and ebony for less money any day and every day.

jerryratpack

Reaction score
I guess I will have to try it out. My MAIN GOAL is to get a vintage sound with Long Sustain.
I currently have a very nice 2012 Gibson standard which I really like. It has a great ( non vintage ) sound and fast neck, phase switch, etc, but it does not have the vintage sound and the longer sustain I want. I think its because of the chambering or weight relief (what ever they call it ) .

So my concern is if it is very light, will it sustain... Lately, I am coming to the conclusion, to get what I am looking for , only comes in HEAVY Weight guitars... Maybe I am wrong. I have not been in the hunt as long as most of you .

It scares me that it is that light, but I am basing that on my own experience with limeted guitar brands.

jerryratpack

Reaction score
The question about Edwards being so light in weight has been asked and answered in other posts, but here is the short version - Edwards uses a type of mahogany that is generally quite light. Use the search function for a more detailed answer to your weight question. From what I've read, the variety of mahogany used still produces some very nice sounding guitars. I've never owned nor played one, but there are many positive comments about Edwards on this forum.

Light as ****. Too light for my tastes.

I assume this Edwards is already in your country.

I have one and it is a really great piece of kit. Worth 950? Well they go for a little less than that brand new but that isn't counting shipping or import fees or the hassle of ordering from Japan as opposed to buying domestically. I would pay 950 shipped for one so long as I wasn't importing it. I think they're worth that money, especially when you compare them to a 1,400 dollar Les Paul Studio from Gibson. Give me binding and ebony for less money any day and every day.

Hey Old Ben , It is in the US and I will be picking it up ( about 30 minutes from my house ) If I decide. I made a mistake , the guitar is 850 dollars.

And that is what I needed to know. What level this guitar comes on at when comparing.. So probably a gibson Studio , correct ?

I guess I am looking for the custom shop or reissue specs ...

I am leaning toward the Heritage H150 to try out because I hear from most, the comment that it is on that level.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
You have to keep in mind that this things come with very modern sounding pickups, not PAF replicas. The JS comes with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge position and if you're after vintage tone you'll probably have to swap pickups and maybe redo the wiring.

If you already have a Les Paul Standard I would try working with the electronics in that and swapping the pickups, pots, caps, etc. because I can't see the Edwards sounding any more vintage out of the box. Odds are it's the guts in your 2012 Standard that are making it sound more modern, not the weight relief. Speaking of which, vintage Les Pauls were often light guitars. You don't need weight to get that sustain.

tonebone

Reaction score
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/68797-weight-52-60-lps.html

It's been said that the vintage bursts had great sustain. Can't say, never had one in my hands. Check the weights in the charts that are in the link. I think right around 9lbs is the average. With about .75lb either way.

Get a plain Custom Edwards, or maybe a E-LP-92 or 98. I sold my old Edwards standard to a guy that put burstbuckers in it. Last time I checked, he said he was never going to sell it. It was 8.2lbs as I recall.

Listen to Old Ben. The JS will not sound "vintage."

Edwards are NOT weight relieved. It "may" be Honduran Mahog grown in Indo or the Phillipines. No one knows for sure.

logen99999

Reaction score
like people said Edwards les pauls use very light wood. I love mine, i swapped out the bridge Seymour Duncan JB with a paf replica from one of the builders here. great guitars, sustains for days. I cant see anyone being disappointed with these guitars, it's basically a Standard les paul for a 1000$

950 is a fair price, but you can definitely find them for cheaper. Overall they have goten a lot more expensive over the last year due to more people seeing how great they are, and by the Japanese yen getting stronger.

the black custom models look amazing, and the higher end e-lp 130s are reliced and come with seymour duncan antiquites which are dialed in for that vintage PAF vibe. the e-lp 92s and 98lts models come with a Seymour Duncan JB and 59. and no relicing.

Latest Threads