edwards LP guitar bridge

Mr French

Reaction score
I have an Edwards JP model and I wanted to experiment with this guitar by changing the bridge. I have an extra ABR-1 with the pat stamp and it does not fit due to the studs being too large. Any idea what bridge will work for these guitars?

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_103133.jpg
    IMG_20220624_103133.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220624_103147.jpg
    IMG_20220624_103147.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Mr French

Reaction score
Faber makes a replacement for the metric bridges.
Is Edwards in metric? I really don't know much about these Japanese guitars except they play fantastic. Also I was hoping to give a brighter sound with the Gibson bridge I have. To me Faber is much warmer but they make great product.

Puck Luck

Reaction score
I actually have an old Gibson patent ABR-1 bridge too and it fits on all my Japanese guitars as far as post sizing goes. On some, the spacing is a little too tight and on some it fits but if I just put the bridge on one post it fits them all as far as that goes. So this is interesting if it's a metric abr-1 stud that doesn't fit.
20220623_225524000_iOS.jpg

frehley76

Reaction score
I actually have an old Gibson patent ABR-1 bridge too and it fits on all my Japanese guitars as far as post sizing goes. On some, the spacing is a little too tight and on some it fits but if I just put the bridge on one post it fits them all as far as that goes. So this is interesting if it's a metric abr-1 stud that doesn't fit.
View attachment 616953
I believe some Gibsons use the 4mm studs. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The Edwards uses 4mm studs. The Gibson bridge is probably 6-32 studs, which are smaller in diameter.

Bridges that fit the MIJ guitars are the Faber ABRM, Faber Tone Lock, Gotohs that use M4 posts and the Hosco bridge at Philadelphia Luthier. There are some Korean made bridges out there too that fit. I've seen those on ebay and in Japan for sale.

I usually use the Faber or the Hosco. I use the Gotoh if I want a Nashville style.

Faber choices:

Oh, and that is the Faber Germany site. If you want to buy it in the US then you might want to use Larry Corsa's Faber USA website.

This is the Hosco:

Philly Luthier also has a metric Gotoh that works, but it has a 16" radius so to make it work correctly on a 12" radius fretboard you should refile the saddles. Not my fav thing to do so I use the Hosco one or a Faber if I want an ABR-1.

And the Gotoh Nashville:

Oh, I think Graphtech also makes bridges that use M4 posts as well.

One note on the Faber Tonelock: Your posts have to be M4 x 0.7. Bacchus guitars and sometimes others use M4 x 0.4. I know my 1977 Burny SG and the Bacchus guitars all used the 0.4 threading and I had to change my posts to use the Faber Tonelock. Changing the posts isn't hard though.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, Graphtech offers 2 models:

Mr French

Reaction score

Mr French

Reaction score
View attachment 616953
I just uploaded the pictures of my stud post. That's the same gibby bridge I have but is slightly small for the post.

Mr French

Reaction score
The Edwards uses 4mm studs. The Gibson bridge is probably 6-32 studs, which are smaller in diameter.

Bridges that fit the MIJ guitars are the Faber ABRM, Faber Tone Lock, Gotohs that use M4 posts and the Hosco bridge at Philadelphia Luthier. There are some Korean made bridges out there too that fit. I've seen those on ebay and in Japan for sale.

I usually use the Faber or the Hosco. I use the Gotoh if I want a Nashville style.

Faber choices:

Oh, and that is the Faber Germany site. If you want to buy it in the US then you might want to use Larry Corsa's Faber USA website.

This is the Hosco:

Philly Luthier also has a metric Gotoh that works, but it has a 16" radius so to make it work correctly on a 12" radius fretboard you should refile the saddles. Not my fav thing to do so I use the Hosco one or a Faber if I want an ABR-1.

And the Gotoh Nashville:

Oh, I think Graphtech also makes bridges that use M4 posts as well.

One note on the Faber Tonelock: Your posts have to be M4 x 0.7. Bacchus guitars and sometimes others use M4 x 0.4. I know my 1977 Burny SG and the Bacchus guitars all used the 0.4 threading and I had to change my posts to use the Faber Tonelock. Changing the posts isn't hard though.
Thank you for the links. I was really hoping that a standard Gibson ABR-1 would fit but it looks like it won't happen for this guitar. The Edwards fits a Gibson no problem but I'm not liking the tone from this bridge and just seems off.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Sometimes you can get a Gibson 6-32 on the M4 posts and sometimes you can't so when I need a new bridge for a MIJ guitar I buy one of the ones I linked.

Latest Threads