Edwards by Navigator vs Edwards by ESP

Eagle X

Reaction score
This is not a question about "Edwards vs Navigator". It's "by Navigator vs by ESP".

As far as I know ESP established a factory in China in 1992. And the production (woodwork and finish) of Edwards moved to China before final assembly in Japan, if I'm correct.

There are "Edwards by ESP" before and after 1992. But most "Edwards by Navigator" I can find online are made between 80s and very early 90s.

Thus can I safely guess that "Edwards by Navigator" are all made in Japan? If my guess is wrong, that's the difference between Edwards by Navigator and Edwards by ESP?

Thank you.

Last edited:

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
There are two schools of thought about this subject and they don't usually play nice with each other.

You were warned lol.

zeneffect

Reaction score
In 1997 ESP moved its Edwards line of production to the Hogwarts school of wizardry where all bodies and necks are roughed by hand using only stone tools. Only the finest wizards are chosen based on their pain tolerence and moisture content derived from the fluid mass expelled via tears and sweat. Loss of limb and bleeding don't count towards this metric as (generally) one of those diaper gnome things cleans up quickly enough as to not change the average and workers are easily replaced. Once the bodies and necks are hewn, the children are sent back to their hovels and fed bits of crumbly cheese while finishing and setup are completed by ESP Japan.

Eagle X

Reaction score
In 1997 ESP moved its Edwards line of production to the Hogwarts school of wizardry where all bodies and necks are roughed by hand using only stone tools. Only the finest wizards are chosen based on their pain tolerence and moisture content derived from the fluid mass expelled via tears and sweat. Loss of limb and bleeding don't count towards this metric as (generally) one of those diaper gnome things cleans up quickly enough as to not change the average and workers are easily replaced. Once the bodies and necks are hewn, the children are sent back to their hovels and fed bits of crumbly cheese while finishing and setup are completed by ESP Japan.

Sounds like a good story about post-1997 Edwards by ESP :lol

How about Edwards by Navigator then?

Last edited:

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
If it says "by Navigator" you're going to pay more just for those words, and the guitar may be lackluster. Some of them have volutes and none have fret edge binding. I had a white one from 1989 with no volute, no FEB, no "by Navigator," had a basswood body, and was lackluster. All others I've had from the 1989 period are excellent and 100% MIJ. The having something to do with being made in China theory bears no relevance to the quality of guitar you're getting with current production, and should be stricken from the record. Current production is impressive and every guitar is just as nice as the one before it. By the way, I'm speaking form the experience of playing these guitars, not from any of the lore surrounding them.

Eagle X

Reaction score
If it says "by Navigator" you're going to pay more just for those words, and the guitar may be lackluster. Some of them have volutes and none have fret edge binding. I had a white one from 1989 with no volute, no FEB, no "by Navigator," had a basswood body, and was lackluster. All others I've had from the 1989 period are excellent and 100% MIJ. The having something to do with being made in China theory bears no relevance to the quality of guitar you're getting with current production, and should be stricken from the record. Current production is impressive and every guitar is just as nice as the one before it. By the way, I'm speaking form the experience of playing these guitars, not from any of the lore surrounding them.

Thank you. I currently own two Edwards by ESP including a 2005 Les Paul and a 2017 Flying V. The 2017 is superb while the 2005 is OK. By saying OK I mean that, I think the build quality is at least same good as (or probably better than) my previously owned Epiphone Zakk Custom. However I'm just not personally attached to it. Perhaps it's because I don't like its SH4/SH1 set. Perhaps it lacks some feeling that is too subjective and I cannot tell. So I was wondering how I feel about Edwards by Navigator.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
I'm assuming the white Edwards was after the 80s ELP Lineup?

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
It was from 1989 so E-LP-80 seems to fit, but it had no nibs, very light rosewood board, and basswood body confirmed. Now I just stay away from the ones I see with that headstock and no nibs. Wasn't a bad guitar, just not the best.

hceh8nbtcdnnjplbacnp.jpg

67rayson

Reaction score
I just bought a White Edwards Custom by Navigator
inside neck pocket reads " 13 99 "
so does that mean its a 1999 model?
if so was it made in China?

Attachments

• 20220203_145623.jpg
    20220203_145623.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220203_145643.jpg
    20220203_145643.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220125_170004.jpg
    20220125_170004.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 5

Mosster47

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is Edwards uses the same wood, but somehow their guitars are 2lbs lighter.

Figure.that.out.

Latest Threads