Edwards by Navigator Les Paul Custom – wood?

tzurby

Reaction score
I just bought this Edwards by Navigator Les Paul Custom.

The guitar has a very good sustain, is relatively light (3,65 Kg, 8.04 Lbs) and sounds very good. The pickups are very strong (10,8k). It sounds pretty much as this one. The tone is quite a bit brighter compared to a (1974 pancake) Les Paul. The Les Paul growl is missing. It is very clear.

The tone remains basically the same even with other pickups. (I installed some T-tops I had lying around.)

I wonder what kind of wood is the body. The top and the rest is made from the same wood. The body wood is much lighter than the neck wood – which is most probably mahogany.

IMG_2658.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

Also, any ideas what year the guitar is from?

There are no numbers whatsoever on this guitar.

tonebone shows pictures of the same headstock and says “Earliest 90's”.

Nearly the same Edwards by Navigator (though with toggle switch on the lower bout) is advertised here.

According to the card the model is “ELP-95C BK”, and it was sold in 1998.

Is this a nitro finish? I cleaned the guitar with Virtuoso guitar cleaner, and it cleaned very nicely. The shine was there instantly. My 1974 Gibson with poly finish was much harder to clean.

red_bull seems to have (had) the same guitar.

He later sold it. Thought it is chambered. But I think it is light wood.

Same guitar here.

Greco

Reaction score
Can't tell by image exactly. Does the wood look reddish brown? Not all mahogany looks the same and it also depends where it is sourced from. How does it feel inside the routing? Is it smooth? There are ways to tell.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Mahogany can be super light sometimes. The top and back look really similar in color. Could be it's all mahogany?

Part of what makes it so tough to get a conventional Les Paul much under 8lbs is maple is pretty much always heavy.

Greco

Reaction score
Does it feel heavy? Have you weighed it? An all Mahogany guitar will be lighter than a mahogany with a maple top.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, mahogany can be lighter in color and the mahogany Edwards uses seems to be something Asian and rather unique to their guitars.

@o0mobius0o has quite a few Edwards from various time periods and he may know.

BadMongo

Reaction score
I know some companies have used basswood for bodies, but that's greener - if it's not light mahogany, it might be agathis. Lighter color but still reddish, used as a substitute a lot, finer grained than mahogany, super soft. I've read some places that they've used alder for some bodies as well, but it doesn't look like alder to me.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I have an Epi LP with very similar wood but it's apparently 'Asian Mahogany' or "Meranti". But I would expect more from a Navigator.....?

Caretaker

Reaction score
I`d be more concerned that you have a 1974 Gibson with poly finish!!!!

tzurby

Reaction score
I`d be more concerned that you have a 1974 Gibson with poly finish!!!!
My fault. I always thought the Norlin Gibsons were poly. I just checked, and the general consensus is that Gibson always used nitro. Gibson themselves says: It has always been nitro.
However, the finish on my 1974 Les Paul looks and feels quite different than, say, on my 1961 ES-330. Some people think that the clearcoat on Norlins might be poly.
But I don't want to go into that right now. This would be another discussion.

LP1865

Reaction score
Yes, mahogany can be lighter in color and the mahogany Edwards uses seems to be something Asian and rather unique to their guitars.
Sapele Mahogany is what its called

tzurby

Reaction score
Sapele Mahogany is what its called
I am pretty sure, this is it. The colour is rather whitish, and what I see in this video looks pretty much like the wood I see in the pickup cavity.
Look also on this pictures which shows an enlarged hole for the toggle switch.
IMG_2662.JPG

This might be a good tone wood. Taylor uses it. But it gives a rather different flavor to this Les Paul type of guitar.

One sees (or hears) how important wood is for tone. I have a 1964 Epiphone Olympic, woodwise its is pretty much an SG. As the neck to body joint was way to weak due to some idiot had milled the body for a neck pickup cavity, an expert luthier put in some very old wood (don't know what) for me to fix the neck to the body. The guitar has very good sustain. But it does not sound like an SG at all. I do not like it...

LP1865

Reaction score
Are you sure Edwards uses Sapele? It really doesn't look like it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've read it a few times and it's filled with speculation. The OP on it says it's not Sapele.

I don't think anyone knows for certain.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Check the pots for date codes. I had a white one from 1989 with no volute and not by Navigator. I was definitely not mahogany. I'm going with basswood.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Sorry my mistake. OP states it's Indonesian Mahogany
He did, but again, I don't know that he knew that for certain either. ESP hasn't ever been willing to share that info either as far as I know. They just list it as "mahogany".

Those Edwards by Navigator though did seem to have some different specs. It might be basswood as @o0mobius0o thinks. I cut down a basswood tree in my yard late summer and it does resemble that, the whitish wood.

Latest Threads