EDS 1275 vs Les Paul Custom

politenessman

Reaction score
custom. one of my 2 dream guitars. that and evh usa custom sunburst.

Funkwire

Reaction score
LPC. I had the Epi version of the 1275 and unloaded it. Too heavy and just not practical (although I will admit the visual impact on audiences was significant).

DADGAD

Reaction score
Custom. Very cool. Black or aged white (cream) only. Well, maybe a natural top like Ronson's. That is my next guitar.

matt748

Reaction score
The Eds 1275 is a big lump to haul around. I had one for a while and hardly ever played it just because i couldn't be bothered to play it at home. Sold it in the end as it was gathering dust. Besides other than 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Hotel California' theres nothing else to do but look at it.
Custom for me please!

Electric Funeral

Reaction score
Doublenecks look to me like more trouble than they're worth, and also awkward to play and balance. I'm not a huge fan of 12 strings in general. Having twice the wood, hardware, and weight of a normal guitar to facilitate 12 strings extra strings I'd spend more time tuning than playing seems like a waste. Even if for some reason I was given an EDS, I'd only end up trading it for a Les Paul.

p90fool

Reaction score
I had a 1275 for years, almost never played it. It had a proper flightcase about the size of a stable door.
The 90-pound kid who bought it off me had to stop and rest three times on his 100 yard journey to his car...

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I'm gonna go with the doubleneck, 'cause one, I love me some 12-string, two, I'm getting two guitars for the price of one Internet vote, and three, it's been scientifically proven that a doubleneck adds 13.3 points to your IQ score.

geddyleefan

Reaction score
what has 4 humbuckers, 18 strings and 2 necks ? an EDS 1275 that needs to be in my arsenal

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I had a 1275 for years, almost never played it. It had a proper flightcase about the size of a stable door.
The 90-pound kid who bought it off me had to stop and rest three times on his 100 yard journey to his car...
I can imagine. I sold my explorer as the case was too much of a pain in the ass to haul around all day. The 1275 must be even worse in the Gibson case, let alone a flight case.

I will own one someday, but if I don't have a car at that point, it will be staying at home. My friend's uncle was in a NWOBHM back in the eighties. He showed me a video of one of their old gigs. Two hours long and the skinny 5'6 guitar player played a white doubleneck the entire time. My friend's uncle told me it was the heaviest guitar in the world and that's saying something as he's a bass player. Apparently, the guitar player used to carry the thing around in a thin, custom made gig back. As you can imagine, it had more than it's fair share of dings.

nick1962

Reaction score
If you really needed a double neck you could always hunt down one of the old danelectros from a few years back - much much lighter.

Darth Stang

Reaction score
1275 all the way! never owned one but always wanted one. Why? Simply So I can say I have one of course! I have owned a couple Customs and all they did was convince me that I prefer Standards. Not the hollow Standard of today, but the real thing without chambers..

JM2112

Reaction score
The Eds 1275 is a big lump to haul around. I had one for a while and hardly ever played it just because i couldn't be bothered to play it at home. Sold it in the end as it was gathering dust. Besides other than 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Hotel California' theres nothing else to do but look at it.
Custom for me please!
Don't forget Rainsong as well as Xanadu and Hemispheres... :thumb:

Red Flametop

Reaction score
The EDS-1275 has a certain "cool' factor to it, and is obviously more versatile than a standard single-neck 6-string.

BUT....is this going to be something you have to sling around all night long? Is this something that will see use for more than 1, maybe 2 songs? As a secondary instrument, fine....but as a primary? Get the Custom.

Epi 57 classic

Reaction score
I have a double neck. If you have the money buy both..If not buy the custom and get a low budget one if you want one to have around. For those few songs it will do just fine. sounds good and looks cool. For the rest they are bitch guitars to play. Not practical.

spending that kind of money on a not practical guitar for a few songs to play on stage in my book is stupid, get the Custom. If you have money to spend in spades go for it!!!

geddyleefan

Reaction score
Loved my Gibby white double neck!! Whish I still had it!
In 2003 I formed a progressive rock band in high school called Pyre, at the time I was only 16 and had been playing guitar for about 4 years. I really wanted a Gibson Les Paul Standard but ended up getting a Classic so I had no regrets. Anywho about the same time I was lookin for an LP this old man had a rare black doubleneck SG with a white pearloid pickguard. I think it was a late 80s or early 90s, he was letting it go for about 1600 and I still didn't budge. Thinkin about it now that black doubleneck is probably worth tons of cash lol

siggy14

Reaction score
I dont really agree with your quote, all guitars have a different tone and with amps and pickups it is easy to dial out a brightness or add in etc..

Speaking of amps, which scumbacks do you have? I have a 5150 III 50 watt head and love it through my marshall 78 cab with black backs, the EVH cab is close, but not close enough to my marshall cab, So I have been thinking on getting some scumbacks.

neither , custom is to bright and who needs a double neck ?

Latest Threads