EDS 1275 - mid 70's Restoration - Aug 2019 - Final update !!!

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We'll install a new harness as the old one looks ratty having been oversprayed with laquer (brilliant job) and is likely 300k pots anyway.
Don't bet on it. Because the double necks were custom made, Gibson set aside the parts from normal factory production.

As a result, you often see much older components used. That is why people often try to say 70's double necks are actually 60's...one piece necks....small headstocks.

Fun thread. Looking forward to the outcome. :cheers:

Dazza

Reaction score
Don't bet on it. Because the double necks were custom made, Gibson set aside the parts from normal factory production.

As a result, you often see much older components used. That is why people often try to say 70's double necks are actually 60's...one piece necks....small headstocks.

Fun thread. Looking forward to the outcome. :cheers:
I'm becoming more aware of the inconsistencies with the earlier ones until the standardised 1980's models. I find pictures of them with 3 different knob types and 2 or 3 screw truss rod covers. Pages' has the two different Gibson logo's on his necks.

After so many years I'm looking forward to the outcome too !
Daz

Dazza

Reaction score
So a couple of coats on this week and things are progressing wonderfully from that horrid blue guitar I bought in April 2003.
I'm getting very excited to actually have it in hand again in the new year.

Daz

thumbnail_B3AAE9CF-C1D6-43C7-A87F-1B9C1BA2BA44.jpg
2C8AC2DB-683C-4268-9104-1501870D56EF.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
Great thread....That looks like a Kalamazoo late 75 or 76 type build. The impressed serial numbers lasted a while past the Nashville use of the decal for the #, and 9 as the first digit also amounts to this sort of period.

Dazza

Reaction score
And I'm digging this up yet again. How long can I keep this going ? It's just about done I'm happy to say. The guitar is on it's way to me 16 years and 1 month since I dropped it off.

I've asked it be sent once it's wired up, then I can do the clean up and set up. I just want to play some part in the guitars' resurrection. Plus I have a lot more free time than my luthier mate does.

Daz

Last edited:

Dazza

Reaction score
The Final update in this thread.

Still a few unmatched screws that'll get sorted out asap.
Reproduction pickguards from Pickguardplanet - the originals have heavy scoring and look terrible.
Borrowed Speedknobs from my LP Custom, I'll get more. Better look than reflectors.
Luthier mate did light ageing to match up with dings, scratches and dents which gives it a more lived in feel. He ran out of time to do nitro cracks tho. That'll happen anyway.

The continued assortment of non spectacular pictures :

Just a few days to get to know the guitar and then showtime. Yep, that's exactly what you think it is. Playing the solo in 'that song'.

Tone-wise it's fab. The original period T Tops sounds exactly like the live example from TSRTS, as well they should. Both necks on, neck pickup rolled back - clear, bell like sparkle for the intro. Move to the 12 string without switch/pot changes and it chimes / rings out. 6 string bridge is 7.7K and wonderfully aggressive. Bridge and middle is pure Jimmy twang. Followed up with Over The Hills utilizing both necks and again neck pickup for 'clean' tones. It's a joy to play despite being fairly bloody awkward, off-balance and cumbersome hehe.

A happy result to a long thread.
Cheers all

Daz

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
What a story. Bet you wish you had it fixed up sooner. I've always wanted one of these double necks, but they're not the most practical of guitars. Maybe some day.

Well done on restoring this one.

Heppe

Reaction score
Super cool thread!!

The guitar turned out really nice