Reaction score
Yes... very cool. :applause:

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s awesome!

TheWelder

Reaction score
It's cool and well done....but I'm trying to decide if I would recognize who it is immediately without the context of the guitar and VH chain. Does the face look like him? It's close. Still cool, artist clearly has talent.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right on the money. It does sort of look like Malcom Young.

I wasn't convinced it looked like him either. I Did a Google Image search and found the source photo. I'll post a side by side for comparison:

EVH.jpg

EVH Painting.jpg

I think it's the nose that's out of proportion. Obviously I'm nit-picking, but still, if you paint a mural of an icon on the side of the Hollywood GC, you open yourself up to critique. The artist is very talented, and it's infinitely better than anything I could do.

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I was a big VH fan back in the day. To my ear, their stuff hasn't aged as well as some other contemporary pieces. Although "Ice Cream Man" sounds as good today as it ever did. However, I had the opportunity to see them live ('80s-'90s) and EVH was pretty awesome. One time. about halfway through the show he came out (alone), sat down on the edge of the stage with his feet dangling over and started noodling on the guitar. This turned into a transcription of some classical tune (which I recognized but could not identify) which turned into a face-melting guitar solo (I don't recall if it morphed into "Eruption") and eventually the whole band chimed in and they were off to the races. It (Eddie playing by himself) must have been something like 3-5 minutes long, but it was out of this world. I am glad to have had the opportunity to see him play live.

I would put that in the top 5 all time guitar performances I have seen live (in the mix with Albert Lee (best ever), Slash, Clapton, Billy Gibbons, J. Geils*, Joe Perry, Tom Scholz, Billy Duffy, Sammy Hagar (impressive solo act in the late '70s), Ted Nudgent, Pierre Bensusan, etc.).

*Severely underrated blues guitarist

Latest Threads