Eddie Van Halen Les Paul

Ayy Itss Daveee

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this on the web...

Anyone have any other pictures of it or know anything about it? Looks like a bad ass custom with a Floyd.

Neanderpaul

Reaction score
Looks like a fake.

For a while, EVH was confiscating any guitar for sale painted like his. He owns a trademark on the pattern.

Then...he put those Charvel Art Series things out that he allegedly painted himself at his home when he was completely burnt out.

Ayy Itss Daveee

Reaction score
Looks like a fake.

For a while, EVH was confiscating any guitar for sale painted like his. He owns a trademark on the pattern.

Then...he put those Charvel Art Series things out that he allegedly painted himself at his home when he was completely burnt out.
It's a fake? I saw it on this website, part of Ed's collection...

Edward Van Halen's Guitars

LesLuvva

Reaction score
I'll hang that on the wall right next to my totally flipping sweet Sammy Hagar sig LP - yeah, sure I will.

LPV

Reaction score
Its not a fake. He started as an LP player but moved to other guitars because of the weight. True - from an EVH interview in guitar world in the eighties. Still has a burst or 2 in his collection, unless he sold 'em for meth.

zslane

Reaction score
There are photos of Eddie playing an alpine white Custom back in the late 70s. I believe it is that guitar that he painted with the red/white/black stripe scheme and added a Floyd Rose to.

80's Rocker

Reaction score
There are photos of Eddie playing an alpine white Custom back in the late 70s. I believe it is that guitar that he painted with the red/white/black stripe scheme and added a Floyd Rose to.
You are correct sir!

He actually recorded many of his tunes on a Les Paul. Panama, Unchained, Runnin' With the Devil to name a few. He liked that Les Paul sound, but he loved the strat feel. So he made his frankenstrat. Then he was interested in a tremelo that stayed in tune when you used it alot. So he found Kramer and they were the only dealers to offer the Floyd Rose and they took his Frankenstrat design, and with the Floyd, the Kramer Baretta was born! :dude:

Dave1968

Reaction score
According to this 80's Rocker is spot on rock fans!!

"Although the Les Paul was never Van Halen's main weapon of choice (he once admitted to ruining a vintage model while attempting to build the ultimate rock axe), the guitar has been featured on select VH recordings since 1978. (Eddie even painted one red and adorned it with his with trademark black and white stripes.)"

Eddie Van Halen remembers Les Paul | MusicRadar.com

Well, what'd ya know.. I ve got to admit you can hear the muscle of a LP on plenty of his tunes. I was only playing some EVH earlier on mine :)

Hey! I wonder if...

Lowdown

Reaction score
You are correct sir!

He actually recorded many of his tunes on a Les Paul. Panama, Unchained, Runnin' With the Devil to name a few. He liked that Les Paul sound, but he loved the strat feel. So he made his frankenstrat. Then he was interested in a tremelo that stayed in tune when you used it alot. So he found Kramer and they were the only dealers to offer the Floyd Rose and they took his Frankenstrat design, and with the Floyd, the Kramer Baretta was born! :dude:
Actually,if memory serves me right,it was in fact a V (58 Korina). I do remember him stating it was the V he used on Panama/Teacher. Not sure what else. The LP could be in there on selected tracks/drop ins/solos etc.
Shit I'd be surprised if he knew his name half the time back then.

And true there are shots with Ed using the white LP back in the '70's pre signing if you search.

Neanderpaul

Reaction score
Its not a fake. He started as an LP player but moved to other guitars because of the weight. True - from an EVH interview in guitar world in the eighties. Still has a burst or 2 in his collection, unless he sold 'em for meth.
That original guitar in the OP is most likely NOT an actual Les Paul. The headstock shape is a bit off.

And I know all about Edward & the Les Paul. And he actually started off with a Silvertone guitar that wasn't his, but Alex's. He has played Les Pauls, but they were never his main guitar. Not once.

He did play an Ibanez Destroyer (Explorer copy) that he sawed up to look almost like a Dean. It is pictured on "Women & Children First."

And the Kramer Baretta was an evolution from the original guitar Edward played when he slapped a maple Pacer neck on to the Fender Body. THAT is his "classic" Frankenstein guitar. The current EVH Art Series and Fenders are actually technically incorrect reproductions due to the lack of that Maple Kramer neck. Kramer then made the Pacer, and then the Baretta and the Ripley Stereo was made for Edward so that he could pan each string. The reason he went with Floyd Rose was that it was the most reliable trem at the time.

Eddie's Barettas were never mass produced for the public. The Baretta came stock with an angled Schaller pickup. Whereas Edward's were straight. Most likely Pacers. And SOME early Barettas.

Ratmaster

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this on the web...

Anyone have any other pictures of it or know anything about it? Looks like a bad ass custom with a Floyd.

Cool Guitar! Check out the Les Paul Axcess w/floyd! It has a variety if tone including vintage Van Halen!

80's Rocker

Reaction score
Actually,if memory serves me right,it was in fact a V (58 Korina). I do remember him stating it was the V he used on Panama/Teacher. Not sure what else. The LP could be in there on selected tracks/drop ins/solos etc.
Shit I'd be surprised if he knew his name half the time back then.

And true there are shots with Ed using the white LP back in the '70's pre signing if you search.

Hmmm, could be. I always did wonder what he used on Hot for Teacher... :hmm:

BoxyBrown22

Reaction score
Hmmm, could be. I always did wonder what he used on Hot for Teacher... :hmm:
A Strat, he used strat's in the studio all the time. We'll never know exactly what he used though, I doubt he even knows anymore.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For many of Van Halen’s early rhythm tracks that didn’t require a tremolo, Edward would often use a PAF-equipped Ibanez Destroyer. In the July 1985 issue of Guitar World, Edward talked about using this guitar on many famous tracks including, "You Really Got Me" and "Jamie’s Cryin’". This guitar was made out of Korina wood and Edward is photographed with it on the "Women and Children First" album.

Finally, Edward also did use various other guitars for recording. Most notable besides the others mentioned previously are a Gibson ES-335, Les Paul, and Les Paul Jr. (with the SG double-horned body style).