Echo Park Guitars Building Gibson’s Now

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
Someone commented on that and JB replied stating that Gibson was his first call, and they “didn't have the wood.” Seems weird but who knows.

And Echopark doubling down:

View attachment 402940
LOL! That's like when I was a kid and when forced to apologize, I told my sister "I'm sorry you're stupid"!

Last edited:

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
It looks like to me is what Gibson is doing is saying hey, you can use our shapes in your boutique process. But if you are, you're going to pay us a licensing fee. Thats more what I get out of it.

GearHo

Reaction score
Gibson doesn't have the wood but Echopark does, are you fucking kidding me? All the connections they have, access to everyone on the internet, and they couldn't come up with the right wood for a guy that pushes gear like crazy.

If you cant get the wood for Joe, you cant get it for Gearho either.

Come back Henry we are sorry.

DotStudio

Reaction score
It looks like to me is what Gibson is doing is saying hey, you can use our shapes in your boutique process. But if you are, you're going to pay us a licensing fee. Thats more what I get out of it.
Exactly, it's a smart move imo. The boutique shops are already making the guitars anyways. This way Gibson makes a few bucks on licensing, the shops are operating without fear of legal retaliation, and Gibson shows protection of their IP.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Let's be clear; they're NOT building Gibson guitars. They're just now legally able to build guitars that LOOK like Gibson guitars.

Funnily enough, a lot of big guitar companies (i.e. ESP) have been doing this for years, with no problems?

So, it kind of makes me wonder what Gibson's motives are?

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
So they can start suing everyone who isn't "licensed" and isn't contributing to their bottom line.

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
It's only a fee paid to Gibson to use certain guitar design trademark and avoid litigation... it's NOT A Gibson.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have not read the TGP piece, but are there not several factors that Gibson might be taking into consideration? There are a preponderance of Gibsons made in the past 40 to 50 years; so there is no shortage of supply of the genuine article. The used market like wise. Then too there are the demographics of the guitar playing public. Every Les Paul owner usually owns more than one and those owners are aging. Will the younger age groups really be interested in music and choose guitar as their favorite instrument and will they accumulate as many Lesters as some of us have? Lots of questions about what future economies might look like also.

Their announcement about Echo Park and perhaps future licensed builders might turn out fine. It could be a “defensive” type of decision helping to insure Gibson Brands will be able to make moves should the unthinkable happen......the decline of the electric guitar.

Classicplayer

socialhero

Reaction score
Hmmm.

Only a guitar licensed to use Gibson trademarks including the iconic Les Paul body design as well as other guitar models such as the Explorer, Firebird, SG, Flying V and ES-335 is good enough.

Just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

MSB

Reaction score
Come back Henry we are sorry.
the only time I really wanted to punch him was when i saw that picture of him with the SG with the neck cut that he had backwards trying to break it.

pgodman

Reaction score
Well maybe that will increase the price of our old gibson guitars, but for new I'm not sure I would buy any more.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
those other companies don't have the Historic baggage or the "only a Gibson is good enough" thing working against them.
Martin certainly did. The shrieks of the purists rattled heaven when Martin started its MIM line.

thatmanphil

Reaction score
Yeah well Joe Bonamassa just chewed them out on Instagram for making a replica of one of his guitars

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads