Ebony fingerboard on LP Studio

Freddyb

Reaction score
That's a sweet set up Coldsteal2... And when were Marshalls not cool? They've been cool for as long as I can remember! :)

Robster

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The strat came with ebony board from the factory or did you change the whole neck?
Nope, It was changed out to a Warmoth 'Radius' years ago. It's factory neck (maple board) got destroyed before I got the guitar - I was told it was an 'angry girlfriend' incident - I didn't ask any further... The only thing original about the gutiar these days is the body. I sold the neckplate for $400 and the original tuners (single-line klusons) for $550 a couple of years ago when the vintage market started going crazy. I figured anyone who would pay that much money for a few hunks of metal deserved to be broke! LOL Anyway, these days, she's sporting a Floyd Rose, some Markster Handwounds, and a nice Trans Blue finish courtesy of ReRanch. Here are some pics:

LOVE the Ebony board!!!

R

mix

Reaction score
It looks gorgeous, really nice body color too :)

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I have to agree that Ebony is my favorite. Looks great, feels great, sounds great!!!

If you think that your guitar somehow got an ebony board by mistake or that it was whatever they had laying around, consider yourself very fortunate. :thumb:

Coldsteal...that's a beauty for sure! I usually don't care for the zebra pups, but that thing looks like it was made for them.

Freddyb

Reaction score
Scooter 2112,

As I said, I've never seen a black studio with an ebony fretboard, in shops or anywhere else. So I was wondering... Looks like Gibson would have a lot of questions to answer regarding my guitar. A lot of people who have looked at it have been completely baffled by the paint thing. And now the ebony fretboard, which seems fairly uncommon on black LPs. That's cool, at least it makes my guitar a little more unique!

camini

Reaction score
I enjoy my '92 wine red studio with ebony fretboard.. have seen many on ebay and stuff.. enjoy yours!

mikesmtx

Reaction score
I've got basically the same questions cause I have a 90' black LP studio with ebony fretboard. It does definitely seem like they are hard to come by. I've had it for about 7-8 years and everywhere I take it I'll always hear someone say "Man I've never seen one of those before". Testing out amps in shops and I've only had like two people that work at the shops know anything about this subject. But most people don't realize that it's anything out of the ordinary until they get up close which is fine by me.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I've got basically the same questions cause I have a 90' black LP studio with ebony fretboard. It does definitely seem like they are hard to come by. I've had it for about 7-8 years and everywhere I take it I'll always hear someone say "Man I've never seen one of those before". Testing out amps in shops and I've only had like two people that work at the shops know anything about this subject. But most people don't realize that it's anything out of the ordinary until they get up close which is fine by me.
Sweet!!!!

Not even the Premium Plus models had the Ebony fretboards!!!

Do you have any pics of this guitar?? I'd love to see one....:fingersx:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
InsideGuy (Gibson employee) explained this a while back. The ebony is used on the white models as the rosewood will actually bleed in to the white finish. If they have a bunch of ebony board guitars built but then have an influx in demand for black Studios, they will just finish those ebony board Studios in black (or red, or whatever the demand is for). So... yours IS pretty rare. Congrats - it looks great!

qwank

Reaction score
i sort of remember when i was looking at studios back in the early 90's that ALL studios had ebony fretboards. i could be wrong though.

The_Sentry

Reaction score

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Wow....that's nice. From a tonality perspective that guitar could probably go against a custom of the same year on a bindfold test. Sweet! :thumb:
Yep. :applause:

That black does look unique, but the more I look at it, I suspect it was white at one time. If you check the black knobs, rings, PG, etc... along with the gold hardware, it looks just like an Alpine White. Any chance that it might say in the pup cavity what color it was intended??

Dice... do you know of any Elitists that have ebony boards??

I just picked up a '95 Alpine White Studio last week that absolutely sounds awesome. I do need to take this one in for a setup, and it was no case queen. It's been fairly well beat on, scratched, faded, and otherwise naturally mojo'd. Even smells like a biker bar. Pictures coming soon.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Scooter - all Elitists have rosewood boards as far as I know.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Scooter - all Elitists have rosewood boards as far as I know.
Damn... I was afraid of that. Just looking for an excuse to pickup another one. Hey... a guy can dream, can't he? :laugh2::laugh2:

Thanks, Dice! :thumb:

Horse

Reaction score
This might seem like a really stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway.
My 95 les paul studio has an ebony fretboard. It seems to be pretty unusual, as I think I've come across only one other with the typically black fretboard in all these years. Are they rare/uncommon? Does anyone know? :confused:
Do they sound any better/worse than other studios with different wood?

I know I ask a lot of questions but I have a lot of time on my hands.
wow, you got a winner then , one you played a sliky smooth ebony board, rosewood is an also ran........

Latest Threads