Ebony fingerboard on LP Studio

Freddyb

Reaction score
This might seem like a really stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway.
My 95 les paul studio has an ebony fretboard. It seems to be pretty unusual, as I think I've come across only one other with the typically black fretboard in all these years. Are they rare/uncommon? Does anyone know? :confused:
Do they sound any better/worse than other studios with different wood?

I know I ask a lot of questions but I have a lot of time on my hands.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not rare. They offer it on certain models. The natural ash was offered with it. The white with gold hardware had an option for it. The goth has ebony. I think a few premium plus models might have ebony. Its the way I like them!

It's not rare but less common.

scozz

Reaction score
Greetings Freddy,,,,,Is your Studio Alpine White? Over the past 10 years or so, (not really sure) and I believe still today, white Studios came with ebony boards. There are quite a few out there. But, if your Studio is another color with an ebony board, that would be a different story. A ebony fingerboard would provide a brighter attack and imo, a much better feel. It is more dense, and harder than rosewood. Usually ebony is reserved for higher end guitars.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used to (sigh) have an Alpine White studio (mid 90's) w/ an Ebony board. They're still using ebony on the Alpine/Classic White Studios, Custom Shop LP Customs, and a few other models. As mentioned above, if its a White Studio - thats standard. If its red or black or something else, that'd be unique!

The Ebony sure does look great in contrast w/ the white body and neck, huh?

loneguitar

Reaction score
Hi Freddie, I have a wine/red '95 Studio with an ebony fretboard, just one of the lucky ones, I suppose they use whatever is available at the time.

LongBeach

Reaction score
I wish my Classic & Standard had ebony fretboards. bummer!:(

Come on freddy, dont leave us hanging:rofl: what color/finish is it?

moonchild

Reaction score
Several Studios had ebony fretboards in the early 90's. I've found really great studios from that period over the years.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal with ebony boards on LP Studios:

ALL White studios get Ebony Boards. Why? Because Rosewood bleeds into the White paint.

Other Studios can have Ebony boards but it's not a spec...here's why..If we run a few hundred Studios with ebony boards, and there is a large amount of Wine Red Studio's on backorder....then some of the ebony board studios will be painted wine red.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Its always so nice getting the real scoop from Inside Guy... :D

Freddyb

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for the prompt replies... My les paul is .... black!!!
Although I'm the same guy with the guitar on which the paint is peeling off to reveal white underneath. So maybe it was originally alpine white and then was resprayed or something (view my other thread "Les Paul paint quality average?"). I bought this thing new in 1993. So yes, it's all black with a black fingerboard. Is that rare/good/bad/suckful?
Cheers everyone... Keen to hear your opinions!!!

Freddyb

Reaction score
If its red or black or something else, that'd be unique!

The Ebony sure does look great in contrast w/ the white body and neck, huh?
I reckon mine looks pretty cool, all black... But every other black studio I've seen has a different fretboard. I have the only black one I've ever seen with an ebony fretboard. :hmm:

mix

Reaction score
My 91' has ebony fretboard and I've seen many early 90s studios on ebay with ebony boards.

3dmac

Reaction score
True.
Early to mid 90's are ebony.
As is my Black w/gold Hdw/

Freddyb

Reaction score
So... Not rare then I guess?? Do they still make them with ebony fingerboards then? I mean aside from the alpine whites...?

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My post above goes for the Ebony Studio's as well....and yes it still happens, but not as often as it used to.

Robster

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I love an ebony fretboard. I have them on my LP Custom, 1965 strat, and Ibanez S1520FB. It just seems like the sound is brighter and more succinct than any of my rosewood or maple boards. It's my favorite fb wood, by far.

Rob

mix

Reaction score
Man, I love an ebony fretboard. I have them on my LP Custom, 1965 strat, and Ibanez S1520FB. It just seems like the sound is brighter and more succinct than any of my rosewood or maple boards. It's my favorite fb wood, by far.

Rob
The strat came with ebony board from the factory or did you change the whole neck?

integra evan

Reaction score
Yeah my 95 wine red w/gold hardware studio has an ebony fretboard. Goes nicely with the red.

Freddyb

Reaction score
The guitar sounds swee, amazing sustain. Gary Moore would be proud! Just a shame it's aging so bloody badly. That's the only thing I'd really complain about: the paint. And I still don't really know what's up, despite the very helpful comments I got on the other thread about paint quality.
I'm not sure if it's the ebony that gives it so much sustain, but man, this old girl can sure rock!

Latest Threads