Early to mid 90s Gibson Les Paul Special Doublecut

Fatwalnut

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for an early to mid 90s Gibson Les Paul Special Doublecut, which in my experience thus far are a good bit harder to find than the singlecut. I've found a couple for sale and am discussing prices with the sellers, but it occurred to me that while I have a pretty decent idea of singlecut pricing, I have very little base knowledge as to the doublecut pricing.

So, my inquiry is what would be a fair price or price range for an early to mid 90s Les Paul Special Doublecut in say very good to excellent condition?

Thank you!

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would think that the pricing for the two styles would be very similar. But why the emphasis on one from the mid 90s?

Fatwalnut

Reaction score
I would think that the pricing for the two styles would be very similar. But why the emphasis on one from the mid 90s?
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Believe it or not, from my "research" (which mainly involves trawling reverb, ebay, and other places for les paul specials daily), it seems there are significantly more singlecuts for sale than doublecuts (except for 2015s; there are so many 2015 doublecuts for sale). I'd hazard a guess that for every 20 singles I see, I see one or two doubles. Along with that, the doublecuts I see are generally priced higher than their singlecut counterparts.

As for the early to mid 90s, again just from reading around, they seem to be very well made and playing, and generally seem to be highly regarded in terms of LP specials. Moreover, the specials made during that era featured the pearloid gibson logo on the headstock, neck binding (no nibs!), and (almost) period correct tuners. Because of this, for me personally, this makes this particular period of LP specials more desirable.

On top of that, I play a lot of 90s alternative and punk rock, and what better instrument to serve that purpose than a 90s LP Special! :)

Edit: I should have clarified: For every 10-20 singles I see for sale from the 90s, I see maybe 1 or 2 doublecuts from the 90s.

Left Paw

Reaction score
No demand in period (1990-95 based on your description) generally means little demand now. So expect the pricing to be similar to a single cut, but maybe less if you deal.

jstarr823

Reaction score

endial

Reaction score
^^This.

Your numbers alone say they are more rare than a single cut. If a DC is what you want (and this is what I would do), then pay for it!

Fatwalnut

Reaction score
There's one on eBay right now for $1300 or best offer. If I were looking for one of those I'd be all over that guitar. I think you'll be very hard-pressed to find one in excellent condition for under $1200. You have to remember that you're looking for a 20+ year old guitar in excellent condition. You will pay a premium for mint or near mint.

Now go buy the damn thing! Before I do.
That's one of the ones I've been considering and whose seller I've been talking with, it's a pretty fine looking guitar!

Al Walker

Reaction score
There have been a few on Reverb in recent months. Most are player grade for $700 to $1500. I've been jonesin for one, But, my listed guitars aren't movin fast enough to buy one. I took the affordable way and bought a PGK kit. One of my many retirement projects. Happy hunting!

jstarr823

Reaction score
That's one of the ones I've been considering and whose seller I've been talking with, it's a pretty fine looking guitar!
What are you waiting for? A very nice example at a fair price (if you submit a reasonable best offer). I wouldn't wait around. Over 30 people watching that guitar... eventually someone will pull the trigger. Maybe me. I love DC Specials. :D

Fatwalnut

Reaction score
What are you waiting for? A very nice example at a fair price (if you submit a reasonable best offer). I wouldn't wait around. Over 30 people watching that guitar... eventually someone will pull the trigger. Maybe me. I love DC Specials. :D
Trigger has been pulled! :D Thanks for the replies everyone!

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
JStarr, as usual, is spot on...

Buy it before one of us does :naughty:

-Chris

jstarr823

Reaction score
JStarr, as usual, is spot on...

Buy it before one of us does :naughty:

-Chris
Ha! Thanks, Chris. I came very close to buying that today. I got the eBay reminder notification that it was ending soon. I see that the OP made a smart decision and scored that baby. Nice call. Congrats.

endial

Reaction score
There had better be updates for this. Damn, the drama!

dspelman

Reaction score
This is an example of a guitar that I didn't know that I wanted (and, in fact, was pretty sure that I didn't) until I owned one. I've had several small epiphanies like that. In my case, the progression was a little weird. I found an Agile AD-2300 used. Looks like this:

$130 included a set of hand-wound P90's and real MOP inlays, a 14" radius and jumbo frets. It became a favorite. So I found a "real" one, like the OP's. I really liked it...but I'd become hooked on the cheapo's neck shape, radius, bigger frets. And the pickups are outstanding. When the original owner of the Gibbie called me up, weeping with seller's regret, I gave it back at a small profit (he offered!).

These are just nicely balanced, economically shaped, cleanly designed and great sounding little guitars.

Fatwalnut

Reaction score
This is an example of a guitar that I didn't know that I wanted (and, in fact, was pretty sure that I didn't) until I owned one. I've had several small epiphanies like that. In my case, the progression was a little weird. I found an Agile AD-2300 used. Looks like this:

$130 included a set of hand-wound P90's and real MOP inlays, a 14" radius and jumbo frets. It became a favorite. So I found a "real" one, like the OP's. I really liked it...but I'd become hooked on the cheapo's neck shape, radius, bigger frets. And the pickups are outstanding. When the original owner of the Gibbie called me up, weeping with seller's regret, I gave it back at a small profit (he offered!).

These are just nicely balanced, economically shaped, cleanly designed and great sounding little guitars.
That is one sweet looking guitar! I just read up on them online and everyone seems to love how they play and sound, not to mention they come really nicely appointed at a great price. Added to my "wishlist.":D

Thanks for sharing!

Fatwalnut

Reaction score
The guitar has arrived (technically yesterday)! Ordered on Monday, arrived the next day early. I didn't even know that was possible :shock:. And man, what a beaut she is! I'm pretty busy but will post some pictures a bit later.

Thanks again for replies everyone!

LPCustom72

Reaction score
Really nice guitar. I have owned several mid-90s specials and juniors. To answer some of the other posters' questions/comments (1) The 90s was a second golden age for Gibson. Very good build quality and mahogany was still in good supply so most LPs of all types have single piece bodies, not glued-up 2 and 3 piece bodies, which started around 20001-2004. (2) Doublecuts always go for more. They are much preferred. Why? Who knows? Guesses - upper fret access is better and some think they looker cooler. The most expensive specials from the 90s are the yellow doublecuts. They can go for 200-500 more than the others. All a matter of taste.