Early '70s tailpiece: aluminum or zinc?

indeedido

Reaction score
Do the early '70s Les Paul Customs (specifically '71/'72) have aluminum or zinc tailpieces? I've narrowed my search down for one and I'm trying to determine originality of parts. :)

indeedido

Reaction score
I was thinking so, wasn't sure. One I'm onto is aluminum too. Thanks!

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Usual rule of thumb is that the lightweight went bye bye with the ABR-1.
Nashville will have heavy, but I bet there examples of both, Nashville with light, ABR with heavy, there always are exceptions!

ARandall

Reaction score
Sometime in 75 was when the Al t/p stocks ran out in Kalamazoo. Nashville would have been shipped the Zinc right from the get-go.

lakehaus

Reaction score
My '74 LPC came with a lightweight stop bar... problem is, it has threaded holes a la wrap around (no inset screws). I acquired it 42 years after production, and I don't know all of its stories. But, there you go.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Mine is a 75 according to pot codes.....but has all the 70-74 build features including the Al t/p.

69 Goldtop

Reaction score
I like the heavier ones on.
If anyone has a chance ,swap out the lighter one.
Maybe a tone report.:applause:

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My current '71 LP Deluxe has an aluminum tailpiece.

When I bought my earlier '73, however, it had a non-original something or another tailpiece. I'm not sure what it was, but it certainly didn't come from Gibson. As luck would have it, one of the local music stores had a bin full of used parts and I was able to grab a period correct aluminum and a later steel tailpiece.

I tried them both (using the same style/gauge strings) and to my ears the two tailpieces sounded very close to the same. That is to say, neither I nor my bandmates could distinguish any difference.

I will say that the non-original tailpiece that came with the guitar sounded dull and flat when compared to the Gibsons. It didn't have as much sustain and didn't allow the voice of the guitar to come through as well.

Latest Threads