Early 65 SG Special question

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm more of a Les Paul guy but I have a chance to buy what seems to be a nice early 65 SG special.

It's almost mint, with just a few light scratches on the pick guard.
100% all original. No breaks. Not molested in any way.
It has the original case that's like new.
It has the hang tags.
It has the 64 appointments, such as the wide nut and nickel hardware. ( Early 65 ).
Has the 3 screw Maestro.

I can get it for around 4800. Pics below.

Whatcha think? Price about right?

Like I say, I know Les Pauls inside and out, but SG's... I'll defer to those who know.

Thanks!

gibson_front.jpg
gibson_font_detail.jpg
gibson_back_detail.jpg
gibson_head.jpg
gibson_side.jpg

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
The price seems more than fair considering it’s condition. I saw one recently on reverb for $4,100, it was 100% according to the ad, but it looks like someone took a cheese grater to the heel.

So I’d think yours is quite a deal!

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Vic. The hang tags and being virtually unplayed helps add to the mix.

none2low

Reaction score
I'm in no way an expert, but follow the market like yourself. IMO the price is fair. Albeit top of the mark.

If I were in a position to buy I'd probably want to be in around $4200. I've noticed that the market for SG's seems much more variable than it is on the les paul side of things.

The other question to ask yourself - Are you buying it as a collectable, or as a player?

Personally, guitars like this kind of scare me. I love seeing such pristine examples, but knowing that it's so clean and that any new play wear I put on it is going to slowly chip away at it's value makes me nervous.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
See that's the thing, if I bought this I'd be gigging it. And just like with your Special, I'd gig it as well. Would it get bumps and bruises? I'd do everything possible to make that NOT happen... Would it happen? Anything is possible...

But I honestly think I wouldn't freak out if it did happen. I buy guitars as a player and not a collector.

And there's nothing wrong with either, like you were saying, how you feel about purchasing these things is all about your mindset.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
All good points. This would be an investment that I would play once in a while at home only.

To put away safely and forget about for the next 5-10 years.

It's not intended to be a money maker of any consequence, just cool to have a brand new 55 year old guitar to pull out when the boys come over to play!

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Looks very minty.
If that's what you like, I think it's too dollar, but not way over the top.
If you're going to play it, I would buy a less minty one.
I put these in about the same league as non-reverse Firebirds. There is one of those on my local CL for months, asking 4k.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Considering the condition of the case as well, and the hang tags?

I think the price is right.

none2low

Reaction score
Looks like you'll be having another NVGD soon. :applause:

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Still on the fence, and the info I've gotten so far really helps.

Thing is, he has access to a mint 56 Byrdland with Alnico pickups that I'm trying to get more info on, but he's being dodgy with that one. I think he may want it.
Besides, I think I would rather wait and find another 50's Gibby archtop player like the ES 350/Byrdland.

I'm thinking about 4500 would be a good deal on the SG. If not, se la vie!

It helps to bounce these thing off you guys! Helps one see past the GAS!

none2low

Reaction score
If you're not 100% than paying top dollar doesn't make much sense. As clean as it is, the market is fickle and getting what you paid back out of it is not guaranteed.

Have you played the 65? If not, play it and then decide if you can walk away.

On the other hand, if you've already played it and are still doubting things, it sounds like your heart is elsewhere.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I played it through an old Vibroverb, and it sounds killer.

But you have a good point.

That's good money to tie up, when I could get more playing enjoyment out of something else cool later.

Thanks for the nudge!

I wonder if guitar addition is a recognized condition? I want one of those little blue parking tags so I can park closer to the guitar shows! :rofl:

none2low

Reaction score
I wonder if guitar addition is a recognized condition?
Well if it's not, it damn well should be!! I'd say we could start a support group, but something tells me that'd only lead to more GAS. :cool2:

mdubya

Reaction score
One thing to consider; that is THE! Iommi guitar. The condition is amazing. The tones these produce are beyond reproach.

Plug that thing into a Fuzz Face with the volume and fuzz dimed and start with the guitar volumes on zero and start easing the guitar volume up... :wow: o_O

moreles

Reaction score
I'm not hearing a reason to buy it other than the fact you can, and it might appreciate. For many, those are great reasons, and if you agree, go for it. On the other hand, as a guitar player, I'm not particularly fond of the acquire/store aspect of the market. Things that are somehow too valuable to be used for the purpose they were created don't make sense to me, but there are other perspectives, of course. That one is at least clean enough that the value could in fact go up over time, though that's unlikely to be the case for many "collector" guitars. Some current kid who in 10 years is looking for an SG won't need to pay much for one with the same specs. Will he care about "vintage"? Why would he?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, yes, have you played it? As for investment purposes, my REAL 61 SG Standard with side pull in near mint used to have ab”book value” back in ‘07 of about $23K and now seems to have a value of about $15K. The vintage value of SGs seems to move about a bit, so I wouldn’t buy one as an investment. I didn’t. I bought mine new in 1961 for $300, If I ever want to sell (probably never) I don’t think I’ll lose any money! But the amount of the gain will be iffy.

So if you like to play it, and if you have the money to buy it, do it. If you don’t like to play it, don’t.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well as an update to this thread, I did not get the SG Special. I was looking to replace a 61 LP Jr. (SG) that I sold in 93, but something else came up.

It was never intended to be a "Collectable", nor do I recall stating I was a non playing collector that buys guitars and lets them sit in a closet for speculation. I play every guitar I have, and that's the only reason I have them. I play several of them every day.

What I do buy tho is the best example of what I want that I can afford at the time.
The main reason for that is so that when my 2 kids sell off my gear in the not too distant future, they'll get a little more for it, and it'll be easier to move That's the investment strategy I'm guilty of.

In fact I have cards, pics, and descriptions of each guitar in it's case, and current date value, and a family friend that owns two vintage guitar shops all lined up so the kids wont have a crap load of guessing and research to do, and they won't get screwed over. ( As bad).

Guilty of planning ahead too.

Latest Threads