Early 2000's SG - Opinions? Value?

Lester

Reaction score
This is for sale near me for what could be short money.

Thoughts? I don't know squat about these. Set neck? What would you pay for one and still consider it a good deal?

1615059434009.png

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
An early 2000s guitar like that could need work. Play it first, check those fret ends and yeah, I'd offer about $100. Could be a fun guitar to fix up as a great beater.

Lester

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm figuring on doing the frets. Looking to try out an SG vs. my Les Paul... and I'm into buffing up cheap guitars these days. Just wondering if it's worth the time.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Weren't they set neck back then? Or was that much earlier?
That's the Special model and it has always been the entry model with a bolt-on neck. They are good guitars and the easiest SG to play. As the neck in set about 1½" deeper into the body than any other SG, it makes it more compact and doesn't have an ounce of neck dive.

I never held one, but I remember some saying that the neck is a bit fatter than on the G400, which is a good thing.

If the price is good, I say get itm you won't regret it.

Lester

Reaction score
AH, I see. That's actually probably the opposite of what I want. I'm looking for an SG to minimum thickness at the heel to body and maximum neck-out-of-body experience. I have shorter fingers and that's the reason I'm looking at SG's. a thinner neck is my preference too.

Looks like it ticks all the wrong boxes for me.

Last edited:

dspelman

Reaction score
Take a look at an early 70's L6S. Single cutaway, nice neck, same skinny body as an SG (but wider), no neck dive, almost no neck heel at all, beveled body sides, mids cut control in addition to the standard treble cut, six-way pickup selector (no, it's not a Varitone). I'm not a fan of the later versions (three-way pickup selector), which are pretty ordinary and lack the mids cut pot.

Lester

Reaction score
Take a look at an early 70's L6S. Single cutaway, nice neck, same skinny body as an SG (but wider), no neck dive, almost no neck heel at all, beveled body sides, mids cut control in addition to the standard treble cut, six-way pickup selector (no, it's not a Varitone). I'm not a fan of the later versions (three-way pickup selector), which are pretty ordinary and lack the mids cut pot.
Looks interesting but probably exceeds the budget right now. If I run into one I'll check it out though.

Latest Threads