Dust collection

cain61

Reaction score
I have my shop in the attic of my home. I'm wondering what everyone does for dust abatement/collection. I generally attach a Ridgid vacuum cleaner to whatever tool I'm using and wear an N95 respirator. I've recently read some horror stories about micro particulates, and the need for a HEPA vacuum cleaner. I spent many years working in a sawmill, which is also a concern for me. How do you all deal with the problem?

Thanks,

Cain

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Go to Grizzly.com and search their dust collector category. I have one of their 1 HP wall hanging dust collectors and it does an excellent job.

pshupe

Reaction score
I have a 1.5 hp Laguna C-Flux dust collector with HEPA filter. It was quite pricey, a real PITA to put together, and customer support was borderline horrible. I think for a regular hobby shop the HEPA dust collectors are overkill and overpriced. In your situation I would probably recommend a regular dust collector and just get an air cleaner. Ceiling mounted is most common but you can just sit them on the workbench and turn on when working and/ or put on a timer. They are also been around for a very long time and therefore lots of competition and the price is much more reasonable.

If you wear an N95 mask all the time I'm sure you are fine. I haven't heard about "micro" particles that are getting through an N95 mask. I'd have to call BS on that. Average wood dust is quite large like 10 microns. Even the finest wood dust observed, which is "scarcely" observed is larger than 1 micron. Probably why a lot of HEPA filters advertise 1 micron filtration. The N95 masks are good for 0.1 - 0.3 microns.

Regards Peter.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I agree. HEPA filtration for a woodshop is just absolute nonsense and the only beneficiary of it is the guy who pockets the profit from the sale. Even the dust from sanding out with 3000 grit paper is big enough to be caught in a regular paper filter.

I can't speak for Laguna customer service, but Grizzly customer service is exemplary. They are very helpful and know their product ranges inside and out. And you might even be lucky enough to live within reasonable driving distance of one of Grizzly's retail locations.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
I learned very quickly how inadequate my shop vac was for dust collection, as it would clog up within 10 minutes of using it on my thickness sander. I got a dust collector for the big stuff. I still use the vac, but i also got the highest-rated HEP filter AND invested in dust collection bags, so that the dust doesn't actually hit the filter and it's a hell of a lot easier to clean it out.

On a side note, how accessible is your attic?? How do you get equipment up there??

pshupe

Reaction score
I can't speak for Laguna customer service, but Grizzly customer service is exemplary. They are very helpful and know their product ranges inside and out. And you might even be lucky enough to live within reasonable driving distance of one of Grizzly's retail locations.

I am in Canada and Grizzly is problematic to get up here. I have wished for years it was easier. I have most of my large machines now but if I was to look at something else I would definitely try and get Grizzly. The owner is a guitar guy as well. Lots of tools and stuff for guitars.

I learned very quickly how inadequate my shop vac was for dust collection, as it would clog up within 10 minutes of using it on my thickness sander. I got a dust collector for the big stuff. I still use the vac, but i also got the highest-rated HEP filter AND invested in dust collection bags, so that the dust doesn't actually hit the filter and it's a hell of a lot easier to clean it out.

I do not think that HEPA is complete nonsense but for the money it would be better to get a good air cleaner rather than HEPA on your dust collector. Although I do like the cyclone addition so that most of the dust / chips go into an easy to remove bin. There are lots of DIY solutions for that as well. I'm all for new tools and throwing money at them but if budget is an issue then the air cleaner route would be a better place to invest. My buddy has HEPA everything and you can barely tell he cuts any wood in his shop. Mine is an absolute mess most of the time. I'm hoping to be somewhere inbetween in my new shop.

Cheers Peter.

Thrill

Reaction score
I just use a shop vac with filter bags and connections to all my machines. Works well enough to get 90% or so of the dust. Still there gets to be some fine dust in the air that the shop vac misses. This weekend Im gonna build up an air filter box with a few MERV13 filters I bought and a 1300cfm fan that I got from work. My shop is pretty small so it should work well enough to filter out most of what the shop vac misses.

cain61

Reaction score

On a side note, how accessible is your attic?? How do you get equipment up there??
Up a very narrow set of stairs. I use the DeWalt table saw that Lt Dave and several others use. I have a new planer and jet drum sander that have yet to be utilized. Thanks for the advice.

cain61

Reaction score
I just use a shop vac with filter bags and connections to all my machines. Works well enough to get 90% or so of the dust. Still there gets to be some fine dust in the air that the shop vac misses. This weekend Im gonna build up an air filter box with a few MERV13 filters I bought and a 1300cfm fan that I got from work. My shop is pretty small so it should work well enough to filter out most of what the shop vac misses.
I like that idea. I may try something like that as my shop is small as well..

cain61

Reaction score
I am in Canada and Grizzly is problematic to get up here. I have wished for years it was easier. I have most of my large machines now but if I was to look at something else I would definitely try and get Grizzly. The owner is a guitar guy as well. Lots of tools and stuff for guitars.

I do not think that HEPA is complete nonsense but for the money it would be better to get a good air cleaner rather than HEPA on your dust collector. Although I do like the cyclone addition so that most of the dust / chips go into an easy to remove bin. There are lots of DIY solutions for that as well. I'm all for new tools and throwing money at them but if budget is an issue then the air cleaner route would be a better place to invest. My buddy has HEPA everything and you can barely tell he cuts any wood in his shop. Mine is an absolute mess most of the time. I'm hoping to be somewhere inbetween in my new shop.

Cheers Peter.
Thanks, Peter. That is very good advice. I'm quite jealous of your shop, by the way.

cain61

Reaction score
I agree. HEPA filtration for a woodshop is just absolute nonsense and the only beneficiary of it is the guy who pockets the profit from the sale. Even the dust from sanding out with 3000 grit paper is big enough to be caught in a regular paper filter.

Thanks, man. I ap0preciate the advice and love your work.

cain61

Reaction score
I have a 1.5 hp Laguna C-Flux dust collector with HEPA filter. It was quite pricey, a real PITA to put together, and customer support was borderline horrible. I think for a regular hobby shop the HEPA dust collectors are overkill and overpriced. In your situation I would probably recommend a regular dust collector and just get an air cleaner. Ceiling mounted is most common but you can just sit them on the workbench and turn on when working and/ or put on a timer. They are also been around for a very long time and therefore lots of competition and the price is much more reasonable.

If you wear an N95 mask all the time I'm sure you are fine. I haven't heard about "micro" particles that are getting through an N95 mask. I'd have to call BS on that. Average wood dust is quite large like 10 microns. Even the finest wood dust observed, which is "scarcely" observed is larger than 1 micron. Probably why a lot of HEPA filters advertise 1 micron filtration. The N95 masks are good for 0.1 - 0.3 microns.

Regards Peter.
Excellent observations, man.

emoney

Reaction score
Shop vac style dust collection. However, the biggest improvement I've recently made is I've moved my entire shop from the out building it was in to my garage and put every tool, other than the drill press, on wheels. It's a little bit of a pain, but I now roll out everything I'm planning to use for that particular time outside the garage. I figure I've sucked in enough toxic dust for one person, lol.

cain61

Reaction score
Shop vac style dust collection. However, the biggest improvement I've recently made is I've moved my entire shop from the out building it was in to my garage and put every tool, other than the drill press, on wheels. It's a little bit of a pain, but I now roll out everything I'm planning to use for that particular time outside the garage. I figure I've sucked in enough toxic dust for one person, lol.
I wish I had an outbuilding that wasn't full of gardening, lawn care and automotive care gear. I envy you! lol

Thrill

Reaction score
I like that idea. I may try something like that as my shop is small as well..

Heres the video I saw that inspired the idea to make one. Mine will be a little different, mostly Ill only use 4 filters instead of 8 as my fan is half as powerful, and Im gonna try putting some different features on it and make it mostly air tight, but the idea is basically the same.

anthagio

Reaction score

Heres the video I saw that inspired the idea to make one. Mine will be a little different, mostly Ill only use 4 filters instead of 8 as my fan is half as powerful, and Im gonna try putting some different features on it and make it mostly air tight, but the idea is basically the same.

Actually with less powerful fan you need more filters in parallel to reduce pressure drop. In the video, 8 filters are used but arranged to increase cross sectional area. Note thatI am not talking about adding filters in series (cascaded) for better filtering which increase pressure drop and a weak fan does not work well

Latest Threads