Duplicate Burny Serial Numbers?

nopea

Reaction score
In my obsession to learn as much as I can about my guitars (it's a problem I have LOL o_O:cool:), I was digging around various posts and other sites about Burny guitars to try and see if I can learn more about mine, as it is not in the catalog so it is bit of a mystery.

I came across a Reverb post where a seller sold an identical guitar as mine and he marked it as being 1992, I thought this was odd as I was pretty sure my guitar would have been from 1999 (Dyna build). After looking at the picture I saw that the serial number stamped in the bridge pickup cavity started with 92, so I figure this is why the seller thought 1992 (although often Japanese manufactures will use a single digit for the year i.e 4 could be 84 or 94). But when I went to compare this to my guitar's serial (also stamped in the same manner) I was shocked to see that it is the exact same number!

I have read several sites that talk about how in the mid to late 90's Burny started using serial numbers again and that most say it was stamped in the bridge pickup, but, perhaps it is a modal number and not a serial number?

The guitar listed on reverb has the latest headstock inlay design (as does mine), and in the catalogs, 1992 was the last time they showed the Burny RLG and RLC modals (till 2002 - Made in China) and those have the lightening bolt inlay (although you can see a LG-75GR in the 92' & 93' Voices catalog). The 1992 catalog is also the earliest where a Burny guitar is available with the new inlay design, but it is not a RLC modal.

So I am not sure what happened with the Burny Revival guitars between 1992 and 2002, if mine was in fact 1999 then perhaps they were still quietly making and selling Burny Revivals (or at least artist modals) during that time, but not shown in the catalogs.

But the strangest thing is that somebody else has a guitar with the same serial, that is odd! Anybody else seen a Burny that you think would date between 1992 ~ 2002?

Last edited:

rayspang

Reaction score
I have one that the pickup cavity serial starts with 95. I always thought it was a dyna built 1995 model?

nopea

Reaction score
I have one that the pickup cavity serial starts with 95. I always thought it was a dyna built 1995 model?
I am still not 100% sure on this. There have been several MIJ guitars over the years that have 1 digit for the year, i.e my MIJ Epiphone SG starts with a 9 - which is for 1999 (same year I bought it), as well my 1984 Fernades Revival RST-50 which starts with a 4 for 1984. However my Cool Z guitars all start with a alphabet character and a 2 digit number for the year (I believe that the alphabet character is way to represent the month i.e A = Jan., B = Feb. etc).

JDZ

Reaction score
But the strangest thing is that somebody else has a guitar with the same serial, that is odd!
Likely a date code rather than a serial number.
Guitars produced on the same day.

nopea

Reaction score
Likely a date code rather than a serial number.
Guitars produced on the same day.
This is what I am thinking, as it would follow the same format as my Fernandes. So I am thinking it was made Sept. 21, 1999. I doubt it is 1989... but then again who knows... but I believe they were still using the bolt inlay then.

nopea

Reaction score
Don't mean to resurrect a dead post... but I thought I would share some info just incase people come looking to date a Burny.

I am thinking that perhaps the seller of the reverb post above is correct and that it is a 1992, this because today I was reading over Gotoh's company profile timeline and it says that they stopped pickup production in 1993 and as my guitar (and the one in reverb post) has Gotoh pickups logic would tell me it would have to been made before 1993.

So now my OCD kicks in about the headstock inlay, the 1992 catalog shows all RLC modals (although the John Sykes modal is not shown) having the lightening bolt inlay (and of course nothing in the catalogs on RLCs after 1992 till 2002) and this is the same catalog where they show any Burny having the artisan style inlay, so perhaps they started using it during the last year of the Burny Revival series (until the brought in back with MIC guitars in 2002).

OCD.... sorry ;):cool:

Latest Threads