Dunlop 535Q 18V & Slash Wah - What Inductors Are used, Halo?

Mookakian

Reaction score
I am planning on adding a few inductors to an 18V 535Q when she arrives (sold my 1st, just bought one again.. finally :) )

While looking up what inductors were used in the dunlop wahs I found it near impossible to get to the bottom of what was used in the few models I am interested in.

The two I am looking at are the inductors used in slash wah the 18V 535Q inductor...which I already love. I really don't want to buy a Dunlop Halo Inductor if thats whats in the 18V 535Q... There is a lot of info on the newer 535Q's but the older ones have a metal case over the inductor and no idea what it is. the Slash wah also has a little casing over the inductor.

Can anyone tell me what inductor was used in the 18V 535Q wah and also what is used in the Slash wah?

Gut Shot 18V 535Q

Slash Wah Gut Shot

Attachments

Syrus

Reaction score
Those are def not halo inductors, halo inductors get the name via the metal ring that is in the shape of a halo. Covering it all up with a metal casing will yield a different electromagnetic field in the coil. Plastic covers will yield no shielding, so they don't influence the coil.

The Slash inductor is probably just the new standard dunlop inductor with a sticker. The metal can, dunno. Probably just a fancy metal casing. They tune the circuit more so than the coil. Coil's can be tuned by height, width, windings and gauge.

I have stack of pennies, Eleca Halo, TDK, 1:1 transformer based inductor & inductorless based wah's. Plus, 2 times the new modern wah outfitting - one VOX, one Dunlop. Where the VOX has an input buffer increasing low response. No fasel, because I think they are too thin and too fat sounding.

PLUS

it is worth noting that Dunlop only started using HALO inductor's (Dunlop Part# HI01) at the request of J.B. :jb: sig model wah, so anything prior to that never came with a HALO.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Its def. different than the 9V version, not sure if thats the full guts talking more so ... any idea when the JB wah came out? I thought Dunlop made the Halo because the clyde had microphonic issues...hence a new inductor was created to give the clyde tone with none of the EMI issues.

I am almost tempted to take off the case for research purposes, no one online has this info :hmm:

I messaged Dunlop, hopefully they can give some input, I really want a 3 way inductor switch with the stock 18V/Slash & Vintage quack inductor

But I am a little concerned the first two may be the same inductor :shock: I'll also be throwing a few resistor changes for variable resistors to help dial in what I like :)

inspired by:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsPh2W4a780[/ame]

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
The 2 inductors in the pics above are the same in construction, however, an inductor is built much like a pickup, no 2 are exactly the same. That being said, a 500mh inductor can measure 400-600mh..no real consistency.. No one will hear if an inductor is off by +/-50mh.

With my project, I couldn't detect a real difference between the 2 fasels, going from fasel to halo, yeah, the halo was not as raspy/harsh sounding. I never measured them to see what their values were.

Syrus

Reaction score
Take a look:

Left to right:
Halo - Stack of pennies/dime - Metal Can

See the size difference?

Good HALO inductors are the PAF's of the wah world :laugh2:

I think the modern metal can version is just a visual prop/repro, but you can check if they have grounded it. It will not reject EMI without a goundwire attached to the metal casing.

BTW going on with mH, anything from 250 to 1000~1500 mH will work. In fact, try 2 inductors in series! It works - darkens it up.

My Snarling Dogs Wah has a switch to kick in a second inductor (dunno if series or parallel. I'm betting series 500 up to +- 1K mH)

My suggestion is to run a pair of wires with clips and test various inductors.

I think this is my dream wah tone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0B-M_fxJ4w

Handwired and based upon the grey era VOX wah's. Super throaty and vocal.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Well there you go, I thought a fasel was a kind of inductor...no?

That is one throaty wah (above), that would be perfect for vintage growl, perhaps I can squeeze the guts in the 535Q LOL

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0B-M_fxJ4w[/ame]

Mookakian

Reaction score
Just recieved word from dunlop:

Hey, Tim.

The 18V 535Q never used Halo inductor. Happy modding!

Sincerely,

Amor

Amorsolo Ocampo Jr.
Electronics Technician
Dunlop Manufacturing, Inc.
1-707-745-2722
At least that narrows it down :/ :) Halo is going in the 18V 535Q...switchable :cool2:

Mookakian

Reaction score
I did ask what was used in the 535Q 18V... but Dunlop seem a little hesitant to tell...just that its not a Halo...maybe its alien tech... :cool2:

What... bass players use wah sometimes, I think...:)

Attachments

Mookakian

Reaction score
Oooo, I am told by Dunlop...the 18V 535Q has the "Black Inductor"...

Black, hmm... will be back after I research up, just in case someone is finding all this useful :D

lordraptor1

Reaction score
Those are def not halo inductors, halo inductors get the name via the metal ring that is in the shape of a halo. Covering it all up with a metal casing will yield a different electromagnetic field in the coil. Plastic covers will yield no shielding, so they don't influence the coil.

The Slash inductor is probably just the new standard dunlop inductor with a sticker. The metal can, dunno. Probably just a fancy metal casing. They tune the circuit more so than the coil. Coil's can be tuned by height, width, windings and gauge.

I have stack of pennies, Eleca Halo, TDK, 1:1 transformer based inductor & inductorless based wah's. Plus, 2 times the new modern wah outfitting - one VOX, one Dunlop. Where the VOX has an input buffer increasing low response. No fasel, because I think they are too thin and too fat sounding.

PLUS

it is worth noting that Dunlop only started using HALO inductor's (Dunlop Part# HI01) at the request of J.B. :jb: sig model wah, so anything prior to that never came with a HALO.

your thoughts on the slash inductor are inaccurate. the slash inductor above is for the sw95 ( 18v) wah and is wound differently than the original dunlop inductor. as far as that inductor getting it replaced is near impossible as it is not sold anywhere and when i contacted dunlop they informed me they didnt have a part number for it LOL. with that said however, i have one of the slash inductors in my GCB95 and love it, i also have a second brand new slash inductor that i got (with great luck i might add) to install into a second gcb95 wah to have as a backup but never got aroound to it.

with that said you could try to get teh slash inductor from dunlop but it may take some time to get one if you can get one at all ( i got mine before the sw95 was discontinued). or you could wait and hope one pops up for sale on fleabay or somewhere but i wouldnt expect them to be cheap, last one i saw that sold went for a whopping $75.00 shipped.

again the slash inductor was wound for a slash sound/effect/whatever. the sw95 is a great pedal but dont expect 2 pedals in one with a wah and distortion, sadly the distortion on the pedal only works when the wah effect is turned on ( if the distortion would work both with and without the wah turned on the pedal would be absolutely perfect IMHO.

Syrus

Reaction score
your thoughts on the slash inductor are inaccurate. the slash inductor above is for the sw95 ( 18v) wah and is wound differently than the original dunlop inductor. as far as that inductor getting it replaced is near impossible as it is not sold anywhere and when i contacted dunlop they informed me they didnt have a part number for it LOL. with that said however, i have one of the slash inductors in my GCB95 and love it, i also have a second brand new slash inductor that i got (with great luck i might add) to install into a second gcb95 wah to have as a backup but never got aroound to it.

with that said you could try to get teh slash inductor from dunlop but it may take some time to get one if you can get one at all ( i got mine before the sw95 was discontinued). or you could wait and hope one pops up for sale on fleabay or somewhere but i wouldnt expect them to be cheap, last one i saw that sold went for a whopping $75.00 shipped.

again the slash inductor was wound for a slash sound/effect/whatever. the sw95 is a great pedal but dont expect 2 pedals in one with a wah and distortion, sadly the distortion on the pedal only works when the wah effect is turned on ( if the distortion would work both with and without the wah turned on the pedal would be absolutely perfect IMHO.

OK

Care to share your insights on wounds, inductance, etc?

lordraptor1

Reaction score
I am planning on adding a few inductors to an 18V 535Q when she arrives (sold my 1st, just bought one again.. finally :) )

While looking up what inductors were used in the dunlop wahs I found it near impossible to get to the bottom of what was used in the few models I am interested in.

The two I am looking at are the inductors used in slash wah the 18V 535Q inductor...which I already love. I really don't want to buy a Dunlop Halo Inductor if thats whats in the 18V 535Q... There is a lot of info on the newer 535Q's but the older ones have a metal case over the inductor and no idea what it is. the Slash wah also has a little casing over the inductor.

Can anyone tell me what inductor was used in the 18V 535Q wah and also what is used in the Slash wah?

Gut Shot 18V 535Q

Slash Wah Gut Shot

i know this is a necro but bear with me. this is basically just a heads up for anyone looking for the slash inductor that came in the 18v slash wah.

first off good luck finding just the inductor, i looked forever even going so far as to contact dunlop only to have them tell me they dont have a part number for it. now with that said however i have seen them pop up on extremely rare occasions but are WAY expensive due to the nature of how hard it is to get without just buying the pedal ( which non functioning units cost almost as much as a working one and why buy a working one just for the inductor).

ok so as far as the 18v slash inductor as far as price goes i have seen them but out of the extreme few i have seen only one was brand new unused and the prices of them were ( bear with my memory) $30 to $50 for used ones and $60 to $80 for the new one.

one last thing to note is that when dunlop discontinued the 18v slash wah and replace it with the new slash wash, they opted to go with a plain old fasel inductor for the new model, i personally believe this was for several reasons 1 ( liscensing) and 2 ( lower manufacturing cost), and 3 ( opted for fasel inductors which were in their system unlike the slash one which were not).

the slash inductors are great however and worth picking up if you can find one when it manages to pop up, however dont expect to get it cheap because they are hard to find outside of a "slash" pedal and they have the slash brand logo printed on it which for a die hard slash fan ( you know the ones that will buy used concert ticket stubs, posters, etc.) would make it appealing whether or not they even knew what a wah pedal is.

Mookakian

Reaction score
Cool post... Its been a long time, I decided to run the old 18V version stock, it provided me with the closest wah to what I have manifested in the skull, I wil likely run an EQ after her to fine tune and switch both Wah/EQ on at the ES8, yet to try this out as I still haven't set up the ES8 :D

Im not sure if its the circuit or the inductor but there is real magic in these older 18V versions IMHO, I am hesitant to say so in case mine dies and i cant find anymore :shock: Im already having switch issues (I replaced it and the pot but still the wah cuts in/out a bit at the end of the sweep as the rocker touches the switch, im still stumped as to why a new switch has the same results... so Ill take the switch out and use the ES8 to activate the wah when I need her, should be great for cocked wah settings too).

Till i can buy a new one, my pocket is empty so no time soon :D

Coxon2323

Reaction score
I wonder how the 18v black inductors fare when comparing with the 9v red fasel?

5F6-A

Reaction score
I like the halo in my Roger Mayer wah

Latest Threads