Duncan SH1 SH4 with Jimmy Page Wiring

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I recorded some more mp3 sound-clips of the 21 Tone Jimmy Page wiring in "Alice" my SG with some Seymour Duncan pickups I just installed today. I have a Duncan SH1 7.3K in the neck and an SH4 15.9K in the bridge. I am plugged into my epi valvestate jr. 5 watt tube amp and that's run into a Marshall 4 x 12 cabinet.

The Jimmy Page rig has 4 push pulls and does coils splits, out of phase, series and parallel switching. Let me know what you think?

Clean Clips SG with 21 Tone Jimmy Page Wiring Seymour Duncans

Crunch Clips SG with 21 Tone Jimmy Page Wiring Seymour Duncans

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks PJ, glad you liked it ;)

Kølabrennern

Reaction score
Glad to see you're making good use of my old pickups Jonesy, you're certainly making them sound better than I ever managed to :thumb:

In the crunch clip, the middle position with the coils split and its following varieties sound really great to me - quite different!

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks again for sending me those Duncans I really appreciate that, and will put them to good use. Yes I like the "series out of phase setting" when the switch is in the middle, probably one of my favorites. Nice and tight with pronounced mid/highs, great for lead as well. I appreciate your input.

MrRhoads

Reaction score
Really great sounds :D
The clean with split-series and out-of-phase was just killer:D
Definetly a future investment with 4conductor and Jimmy Page wiring

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for checking out the clips. I really like how the series and out phase settings seem to bring out some of the high-mid' frequencies and overtones you miss out on with the stock switching. ;)

Damien

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, it's good to finally hear a breakdown of those sounds on something other than a crappy video from youtube!
Really makes me wish I had 4 conductor pups. Bought the 2 conductor SD 59 before I knew bout wiring tricks. :( (Who does that? Seriously!)

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
You can still do the "out of phase, series and series out of phase" with 2 conductor wiring just cant split coils. Check out the mp3 sound-clips of the stock Gibson 490's in my SG at Tonemojo.com with my MSP wiring if you want to ;)

Raz59

Reaction score
Really great sounds :D
The clean with split-series and out-of-phase was just killer:D
Definitely a future investment with 4conductor and Jimmy Page wiring

+1

When played clean, that middle position can produce some interesting sounds. I especially liked the split-coil & out-of-phase. Thanks for sharing jonesy!

EDIT: And man, split-coils & out-of-phase & series gives this bottom growl that makes me wow in amazement. The chords were great and I would also like to see some solo chops from ya.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
+1

When played clean, that middle position can produce some interesting sounds. I especially liked the split-coil & out-of-phase. Thanks for sharing jonesy!

No problem, thanks for checking out the clips. ;)

I am using a different schematic for this JP rig. Was using the Seymour Duncan version with the caps tied back to the Tone pots. This version I just built and made these sound-clips with is a lot like 50's wiring. No need for volume bleed kits.

On this JP rig the caps are crossed over to the volume pots. When volumes are rolled down all the highs are preserved and Tone does not get muddy. I am going to make some clips demonstrating how nice the volume controls work. Should have them posted in a day or so.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a sound-clip I made of the new 50's style Jimmy Page wiring in Alice using the volume control on the bridge pu to go from clean to full crunch. These news rigs maintain the highs nicely when the volume is rolled down, no need for treble bleed kits.

I am plugged into a 5 watt valve jr. 5 watt tube amp that is turned up about halfway and run into a Marshall 4 x 12 cabinet. The bridge pu is an SH-4 15.9K Humbucker. Listen to the clip and see what you think?

50's style 21 Tone Jimmy Page rig volume control mp3

Latest Threads