Duncan Seth Lover or Antiqities

JimmyJimmy

Reaction score
the only difference are the weaker magnets in Ants, the wind is the same in both and neither are wax potted

Have you listened to them? Wether one is better than other depends on your own requirements, so subjective. But they do sound different.

Eggman

Reaction score
Howdy,

Never played either one, but I don't think you can miss.

JimmyJimmy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Such a tuff choice.

I want the cleanest and sweetest one. I don't play anything dirty so how they perform dirty isn't a concern for me. There's a clip on youtube of a Ant vrs burstbucker pro and the ant clearly won IMO. The clean tone of the ant is enzactly what I'm looking for.

Seymour Duncan Antiquities & Gibson Burstbucker Pros humbuckers demo/comparison - YouTube

Anything would win against bb pro's:D
Ants v Gib 57+ or BKP mule would be more realistic. Comparing an A11 magnet with an A5 sounds smoother. Really ? :naughty:

mmd

Reaction score
i have a seth lover in the bridge position of an ibanez RG560. it sounds really nice when played through a blacface tremolux and 2x10 cab. it sounds, to me, the way a good clean guitar should sound.

a lot of these discussions start turning into voodoo recipes about windings and bobbin materials. it gets confusing. just know this: either pickup you are inquiring about is gonna be well suited for what you want. personally, i like the seth lover better. it responds well to dynamics and sings through a fender amp - and there seems to be little of that humbucker "fizz" on the tone. just a nice, round, full sound when i strum chords.

roknfnrol

Reaction score
I've been thinking about some Antiquities as well. I currently have Tom Short/Mac Ford humbuckers installed. Does anyone out there have experience with both of these pickups?

joebonsai

Reaction score
JohnnyReb, I've had about 8 Sets of Antiquities, so far, ALL sounded different!!! The pair I have in my fav guitar has a very hot sounding bridge pickup!! I just hat one pair of Seth, which I removed very fast because too clen for ME, maybe right for you!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__bSH1zToQ]Antiquity Vintage Guitar Pickups - YouTube[/ame]

and this

Humbuckers and P-90 Replacement Pickups - Seymour Duncan Audio Samples

btw I am a totally Antiquity freak, have them in ALL of my instruments!!!

:hippie:

Bezore

Reaction score
I have one SL and one Antiquity. The Ant was one of the best neck pickups I've ever heard. The SL worked great in the bridge. I have since moved them into my 355 copy, where they work incredibly well. I went with WCR's ultimately, but I rank the Ants at #2 out of the 8 different pickups I tried.

JeffBlue

Banned
Reaction score
On my quest to find a new set of humbuckers for my Les Paul 50's tribute I've narrowed it down to the seth lover or antiquity set from seymour duncan. I want something that will really shine when played through my new Twin Reverb. Squeaky clean and classic.

I realize that the seth lover and antiquity are both seth lover designs. What is the major difference?? Obviously one is aged to look old a weathered. I actually think the aged antiquities would look great with the vintage sunburst on my Lester. But looks don't sing. I don't play any OD stuff ever and clean through a twin is my thing. Duane eddy, Luther perkins ( Johnny cash stuff), some don rich, Hank Sr instrumentals, surf, ect ect. No....I don't need a telecaster. I find my les paul does all this stuff great along with the twin. Just looking for a different set of buckers to really dial in that classic tone.

Both pickups excel and either would not be a mistake. Authentic vintage vibe.:cool:

Latest Threads