Duncan Seth Lover or Antiqities

JohnnyReb

Reaction score
On my quest to find a new set of humbuckers for my Les Paul 50's tribute I've narrowed it down to the seth lover or antiquity set from seymour duncan. I want something that will really shine when played through my new Twin Reverb. Squeaky clean and classic.

I realize that the seth lover and antiquity are both seth lover designs. What is the major difference?? Obviously one is aged to look old a weathered. I actually think the aged antiquities would look great with the vintage sunburst on my Lester. But looks don't sing. I don't play any OD stuff ever and clean through a twin is my thing. Duane eddy, Luther perkins ( Johnny cash stuff), some don rich, Hank Sr instrumentals, surf, ect ect. No....I don't need a telecaster. I find my les paul does all this stuff great along with the twin. Just looking for a different set of buckers to really dial in that classic tone.

EvLectric

Reaction score
Yeah they hum, but it SURE sounds like a good set of hum sized P90's would be right up your alley!

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
get the Seth Lover because they are basically the same but much better value

theycallmetex

Reaction score
They are NOT the same. They are different winds. The Ants are a little warmer than Seths. I have Antiquities in my 50s Tribute and they are by far the best PAF type pickups I have had (I have had more than I can count). They even beat the boutique pups I have had.

Either set would be an excellent choice.

JimmyJimmy

Reaction score
get the Seth Lover because they are basically the same but much better value

The ants have different winds,not waxed potted and aged magnets. However that doesn't make them better. The magnet is actually weaker. I found an ant for the same price as a seth so got that, but, as above, seths are very nice anyhow. There are also some very odd looking aged covers on some of the ants. I would also consider a Bareknuckle mule.

LBG

Reaction score
Good to know I'm not the only who thought the Ant covers look a little funky

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
Had both in a couple different guitars. Both are very good. Both are similar. But to me the Antiquity just has a little more going on, its just sweet. Both can do a great clean or dirty, but I would give the dirty edge to the Seth and the clean edge to the Ant, especially in the bridge. The Ant is the only bridge pup I've tried that IMO still sounded smooth and round as opposed to darker and trebly as most bridge pups are.

TheJrAce

Reaction score
The ants have different winds,not waxed potted and aged magnets. However that doesn't make them better. The magnet is actually weaker. I found an ant for the same price as a seth so got that, but, as above, seths are very nice anyhow. There are also some very odd looking aged covers on some of the ants. I would also consider a Bareknuckle mule.

Seths are not wax potted.

Dougie

Reaction score
+1 on the Seth Lovers. I actually like the Seths and the Ants, and I use both of them. Seth bridge in my Flying V 98, Seth neck in my Explorer, Ant neck in my LP, but of the two I prefer the clarity of the Seth Lover.

Wraptail

Reaction score
Yeah, to be crystal clear, Seths are not wax potted.

JimmyJimmy

Reaction score
Good to know I'm not the only who thought the Ant covers look a little funky
Some are really good and natural. Some look ott and bizaarre. Think tat carrots tone description is spot on, and, oops, didn't realise seth was also not potted.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the ants have different winds,not waxed potted and aged magnets. However that doesn't make them better. The magnet is actually weaker. I found an ant for the same price as a seth so got that, but, as above, seths are very nice anyhow. There are also some very odd looking aged covers on some of the ants. I would also consider a bareknuckle mule.

the only difference are the weaker magnets in ants

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They are NOT the same. They are different winds. The Ants are a little warmer than Seths. I have Antiquities in my 50s Tribute and they are by far the best PAF type pickups I have had (I have had more than I can count). They even beat the boutique pups I have had.

Either set would be an excellent choice.

the only difference are the weaker magnets in Ants, the wind is the same in both and neither are wax potted

JohnnyReb

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Such a tuff choice.

I want the cleanest and sweetest one. I don't play anything dirty so how they perform dirty isn't a concern for me. There's a clip on youtube of a Ant vrs burstbucker pro and the ant clearly won IMO. The clean tone of the ant is enzactly what I'm looking for.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdT6xyTQkQ]Seymour Duncan Antiquities & Gibson Burstbucker Pros humbuckers demo/comparison - YouTube[/ame]

LtKojak

Reaction score
the only difference are the weaker magnets in Ants, the wind is the same in both and neither are wax potted

Seths and Ants winds are very different, not only the difference in turns, also, in the coil geometry dept. they couldn't be more different, as one is all about smooth, the other is all about articulation, but without a sharp pick attack like the Jazz.

HTH,

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
Ants and Seths are not the same wind, they are different pickups in the same family.

Dougie

Reaction score
JohnnyReb, might want to look at the Fralin Pure PAFs they are real close to the Seths, and I loved the set I tried out. Very musical, chimey, jangly, lots of harmonics, overall a really good set of vingtage sounding pickups. Extremely sensitive to pick/finger nuances, and super articulate.

Edit: The more I think about this, the more it needs to be said. I use the Seth Lover because it's unpotted, it has 42ga plain enamel wire, and alnico II for a magnet. It's pretty much an early PAF copy, like what you would expect a '57 or '58 PAF pickup to sound like. It's a gritty edgy tone, with texture and a grainy punchy Keith Richard sorta woofiness when you dig in on multiple strings and slide into partial chords and stuff. I dig that and that's one of the favorite tones I get out of my guitars with the Seth Lovers.

To that extent I modify my Seth Lovers with genuine vintage PAF covers, and late 50s P90 pole screws. This elevates their tone right smack into the $3,500.00 apiece PAF ballpark, it's a mod that increases the price of the Seth by about 600% to 1,000% by the time it's done but oh holy sheepdip can you ever hear the difference! The Seth Lover is wound on the Leesona 102 winder, the same exact winder that original PAFs were wound on, so in a way you are 3/4 of the way there and if the bobbins are all you use from the Seth pickup, and you combine it with vintage original components like long 1950s PAF or P90 magnets, P90 pole screws and metal keepers, the difference in the tone of the original Seth Lover and the uncanny resemblence to the genuine PAF tones are unreal! But... Clean tone is not why I do this. Lush vintage textures, that elusive bell tone, the "halo" around the highs, and that unmistakeable middle position chirp just jump out of the amp like nobody's business. Now I'm telling all my tone secrets but truth be known, -that's- why I use the Seth Lover, and for what I do with them, they are effin killer pickups.

The Pure PAF set I tried didn't do that Keith thing so much, they were warm but clear and just a joy to play on. We were at a guitar show and I was having too much fun jamming on Lindy's LP Special, He finally had to come take the guitar away from me cause people were checking my jams out and he was there trying to make sales... Oh well.. Re-reading the stuff you like to play, I'm not sure that the Pure PAF woudn't be a better choice than either of the Duncans. They are right there with the Seth and the Antiquity, but if I had to make a choice based strictly on the clean sound of the 3? It would be to the Pure PAF.

Backstage

Reaction score
If it has to be one of those my vote goes for the Antiquities - smoother, rounder, more articulated.

Latest Threads