Duncan Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The CS Pearlies are great pickups (especially the unpotted neck). Congrats on the new pickups. Post some clips if you can.

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bobbin color is random and I'd bet they don't have the logo on it.

You can get double creams by request. They MUST tack the covers on though.

That's how I got mine....

Sorry Martin... I see you were talking about non-Custom Shop... :)

Starman

Reaction score
Starman, how do they compare to the Skinnerburst set?

I'm just learning the Skinnners but that is kind of a telling tale right there in itself. I didn't have to learn the CSPG it schooled me up right out of the gate and every note I play since then they have been an adventure in all that is a hot Les Paul tone.

The Skinners are complex, sweet, purposeful and direct. Clean clear, riffing masters. But the CSPG set sounds like they want to just party and get drunk and chase women. It's hard to describe any other way and it's so strange that they are both copies out of real 59' bursts but do such different things.

If I wanted to be an epic jazz or Clapton-ish blues or sound like Boston using pedals type player I'd grab the Skinner guitar. If I wanted to play any loud hard crazy high gain rock and sound 100 times better than my skill level then it's the CSPG.

If that makes any sense.

BlueCajun

Reaction score
I'm just learning the Skinnners but that is kind of a telling tale right there in itself. I didn't have to learn the CSPG it schooled me up right out of the gate and every note I play since then they have been an adventure in all that is a hot Les Paul tone.

The Skinners are complex, sweet, purposeful and direct. Clean clear, riffing masters. But the CSPG set sounds like they want to just party and get drunk and chase women. It's hard to describe any other way and it's so strange that they are both copies out of real 59' bursts but do such different things.

If I wanted to be an epic jazz or Clapton-ish blues or sound like Boston using pedals type player I'd grab the Skinner guitar. If I wanted to play any loud hard crazy high gain rock and sound 100 times better than my skill level then it's the CSPG.

If that makes any sense.

Thanks. Makes sense. I've been toying with throwing a set of humbuckers in one of my Strats. I want to go for a 70s/80s rock tone, but I don't like high output pickups, per se. I'm more of a PAF(ish) person. Sounds like these CSPGs might be what I've been looking for.

AJK1

Reaction score

If that makes any sense.
I totally agree....

Benjammin

Reaction score
Thanks. Makes sense. I've been toying with throwing a set of humbuckers in one of my Strats. I want to go for a 70s/80s rock tone, but I don't like high output pickups, per se. I'm more of a PAF(ish) person. Sounds like these CSPGs might be what I've been looking for.

FYI Seymour Duncan used to make a special Pearly Gates model for Fender HSS strats. I thought they sounded great, but never compared one to a regular PG in the same guitar. Something to think about if your going to order thru the custom shop :thumb:

NotScott

Reaction score
So many pickups. So few guitars.....................

Brutus

Reaction score
FYI Seymour Duncan used to make a special Pearly Gates model for Fender HSS strats. I thought they sounded great, but never compared one to a regular PG in the same guitar. Something to think about if your going to order thru the custom shop :thumb:

Duncan also made the PG and PG+ (Uncovered double white) for the Fender Big Apple Strat (HH).

afranke

Reaction score
when they say lightly potted,,what does that mean?
can anyone that has a custom shop set let me know.
can you see or feel the wax?

woolenmammoth

Reaction score
I ordered a set unpotted, they are definitely potted. really good pickups but they were pretty unresponsive when I called them out on the set they sent being potted. fyi...

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I have an MJ wound Screamin' Demon (hotter Pearly Gates) in the bridge on my LP and it's a fantastic pickup. Congrats! You will love those pickups :thumb::wave:

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
when they say lightly potted,,what does that mean?
can anyone that has a custom shop set let me know.
can you see or feel the wax?

Again, since the potting is done by hand, it varies. Some have visable wax, some don't at all. But either is a lot less than on a production pickup.

afranke

Reaction score
cool,,thank you.
im so tempted to get a set,but so many choices out there......

afranke

Reaction score
what are the main differences between custom shop pearly gates and the standard ones?

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The Pearly Gates Plus has an A5 magnet, and more turns of wire. The resonant peak is lower, but the attack is sharper. It is more 'rock' sounding, to my ears.

Latest Threads