DUNCAN ANTIQUITY: same as Seth Lover?

stratfish

Reaction score
Are Seth Lover pickups the same as Antiquities?Seems that S.Duncan touts both as being their "vintage PAF" pickup, so what is the difference?
Packaging and aged covers for the Ants?

Seems that Lovers are better priced.

I am seeking a mild mannered PAF type pickup for a very acoustically loud korina bodied replica that favors an underwound pickup. Have noticed that the korina body/neck is a thicker sounding/less bright/less sustainful sound compared to a mahogany body/neck (Gibson R6.)
(Both guitars are maple topped of course...)
Both guitars strummed unplugged: R6 was brighter and sustained longer - and had the stock bridge/alum stopbar with strings thru it for sharper break angle at the saddles.
Korina guitar was fatter sounding and had less sustain. (It has the bridge sitting on the guitar's top because of shallow neck angle... results in a very shallow break angle at he saddles & low string tension like an overwrapped tailpiece.)

I think the korina guitar will sound best with a low output pickup that is not scooped thru the mid's.
Which would fit that description better: Lovers or Ants?

bluefrog

Reaction score
my favourites when it comes to Duncans...
for neck : Ant N
for bridge : sh55B (SH1B )
I hade all 3 pairs in LesPauls 59s, Ants,SH55s.

theycallmetex

Reaction score
The Seth is like buying a 1955-1957 PAF new back in that era.

The Antiquity is like buying a 1955-1957 PAF today.

Ants have aged magnets and hardware.
Seths are new and shiny with full strength A2 mags.

So in short, the Antiquity is like an aged Seth Lover.

Toxicpizza72

Reaction score
The SH-55 Seth Lover is also better balanced,The Antiquities have low midrange and weaker/aged magnets..

Tested on the same amp,and in the same LP-guitar,both kind of humbuckers tested with nickel-cases:

-The seth Lover sounded noticably warmer on my amp,smoother,more punchier as well.
And one more important thing,The Seth`s are a way more "honky/quacky" sounding humbucker ..The antiquities had nice clearity,better grit,good clean,way more airy sounding,they dont honk at all like the Seth`s,The cons to my ears was the Antiquities sounded to thin for my taste,it was really a challenge,really hard to dial in the sweet spots on my amp ,and I also really missed the MIDRANGE on them,I just gotta have the midrange for my tone.

My music-style is alot of 70`s rock,today I have still the Seth`s in my LP nr. 1 (not sure if they stay for the future,My stumach feels these would even work better/open sounded in hollowbody-ES/Archtop-kind-of guitars,In a LP-kinda guitar,they to me feel a bit compressed) ,
and in my LP nr. 2: double-loaded with Dimarzio 36 Anniversary DP103 (their staying) ,The Antiquities are loaded in my drawer,Sorry Seymor ! :)

..But if you should mix,I would do like Bullfrog said: Antiquities for the neck & a Seth in the bridge,That`s the best of their posistions !

LtKojak

Reaction score
I think the Seth neck is the best sounding neck p'up EVER.

And it takes magnet swaps gracefully.

HTH,

Toxicpizza72

Reaction score
LtKojak

What magnets do you think are the best choices for the Seth`s? Alnico4-A5? What and how did they improve? :hmm: I never tried magnet swap before,but it`s really interesting and also a good way to a cheap upgrade.

I forgot to mention: Some years ago I had a "stock" SH-55 in the bridge on a HSS Deluxe Stratocaster,and in that guitar, it sounded really awesome ! :cool:

Kickstand

Reaction score
The SH-55 Seth Lover is also better balanced,The Antiquities have low midrange and weaker/aged magnets..

Tested on the same amp,and in the same LP-guitar,both kind of humbuckers tested with nickel-cases:

-The seth Lover sounded noticably warmer on my amp,smoother,more punchier as well.
And one more important thing,The Seth`s are a way more "honky/quacky" sounding humbucker ..The antiquities had nice clearity,better grit,good clean,way more airy sounding,they dont honk at all like the Seth`s,The cons to my ears was the Antiquities sounded to thin for my taste,it was really a challenge,really hard to dial in the sweet spots on my amp ,and I also really missed the MIDRANGE on them,I just gotta have the midrange for my tone.

My music-style is alot of 70`s rock,today I have still the Seth`s in my LP nr. 1 (not sure if they stay for the future,My stumach feels these would even work better/open sounded in hollowbody-ES/Archtop-kind-of guitars,In a LP-kinda guitar,they to me feel a bit compressed) ,
and in my LP nr. 2: double-loaded with Dimarzio 36 Anniversary DP103 (their staying) ,The Antiquities are loaded in my drawer,Sorry Seymor ! :)

..But if you should mix,I would do like Bullfrog said: Antiquities for the neck & a Seth in the bridge,That`s the best of their posistions !

How do the seths compare to the dimarzio 36th?

CL-10

Reaction score
The Seth 's have a different wind count than the Antiquities. The S.D. site lists the SH55's as appx. 7.2k ohms for the neck pup and appx. 8.1k ohms for the bridge pup. of the 6 pair of Antiquities that I've had, the neck pup was usually in the 7.7k ohm range and the Bridge pup in the 8.7k ohm range.

LtKojak

Reaction score
LtKojak

What magnets do you think are the best choices for the Seth`s? Alnico4-A5? What and how did they improve? :hmm: I never tried magnet swap before,but it`s really interesting and also a good way to a cheap upgrade.

I forgot to mention: Some years ago I had a "stock" SH-55 in the bridge on a HSS Deluxe Stratocaster,and in that guitar, it sounded really awesome ! :cool:

In Seths, the ones I like the best are UOA5 for the best vintage-y tone and the A4 neck/A8 bridge combo for all-aroung modern-ish.

Having said that, I have a STOCK (blasphemy, LOL) Seth Lover set in my Gibson L-5 CES copy, which worked just perfect for that 20-fretter Jazz Box.

HTH,

LawDaddy

Reaction score
In Seths, the ones I like the best are UOA5 for the best vintage-y tone and the A4 neck/A8 bridge combo for all-aroung modern-ish.

Having said that, I have a STOCK (blasphemy, LOL) Seth Lover set in my Gibson L-5 CES copy, which worked just perfect for that 20-fretter Jazz Box.

HTH,

Sometimes I think that you would swap out the magnets in your children if you could. :)

Latest Threads