Duncan Antiquities, any good?

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looking for a good set of PAF clones to drop in to my 60/61 SG project guitar until I'm able to afford some vintage pickups. I don't want to spend too much since the're only temporary but I also dont want to put junk in an early 60's SG. I need something reasonably priced and that I can buy from Guitar Center specifically so I can finance on my GC card.

I generally leave my guitars stock so I don't have much experience with any of the after market pickups. The Antiquities were recomended but I'm wondering what peoples oppinions are.

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
although i havent used them, antiquities seem to get a lot of positive feedback among a lot of players that i know. they seem to be really good pickups.

tojo

Reaction score
Really like my set, very articulate with a nice honk to them. They are slightly less hot than the Duncan Seth Lovers I have in another guitar, which I also like a great deal. Just depends what kind of mood I'm in. For harder stuff I go with the Seth Lovers, for less gainy stuff I go with the Ants.

rykus

Reaction score
i really like the couple sets i have owned, they're easy to find and sound really good for the price, i tried the seth lover too but i think their wax potted and sound way more sterile and clean, antiquities sounded much better too me..... although after owning quite a few sets of vintage and boutique sets i'd almost have to say forget the originals if the guitar has any other issues, i've paid alot for originals to put a few worthy guitars back stock and honestly they are more hit and miss and the scammers are everywhere, it sucks really wanting something and wading through pics trying to spot fakes! the top of the line replica's are really consistent and honestly sound great spend the $ and buy a better set now you will not regret the initial outlay when you hear em and will save huge over vintage! you could always buy more sets instead and figure out what suites you best!
actually i just noticed the pic of my 69 custom too the left i have an antiquity in the bridge position, lived there for many years before being replaced by a pre t top pat# like the neck one(i think its not original probly 64/65)

SkyslideMG

Reaction score
Its rumored that Derek Trucks uses Antiquities in his '61 RI SG, although I've also heard he uses the stock '57 Classics (that was from only 1 source about the '57s though). He has an insane tone, with quite a bit of some gain there.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
Its rumored that Derek Trucks uses Antiquities in his '61 RI SG, although I've also heard he uses the stock '57 Classics (that was from only 1 source about the '57s though). He has an insane tone, with quite a bit of some gain there.

Apparently Derek Trucks has a pair of Classic 57's in his SG, which is what the Gibson Custom Shop fits on those guitars anyway...

Going back to the gain thing, D. Trucks doesn't actually have that much gain coming from his amp, a lot less than one might think.

Having personally used both Duncan Antiquity's and Classic 57's for the last 3 years now, I can testify that the "gain" thing comes mainly from the touch; both those pup's are wonderful & dynamic in the way they let you control the attack and subsequent gain with your right hand, very much like you would with an acoustic guitar; set the amp to crunch, and then you can go from clean to scream pretty much at command, using just the volume control, an OD/Dist. box possibly, and your hands.

The Antiquity's in particular are responsible for me abandoning High Output pups in favour of Low Output ones.
Now I can't stand the way hot pup's compress everything and just stamp their wall of sound on anything you play; on the other hand low output ones just give a wonderful "voice" to the guitar and let you the player take care of everything else.

One thing that gives the Antiquity's the edge over other pup's is the fact that they're unpotted, much like the original PAF's, so you can get 'em to feedback more easily and....I dunno how to describe it, they just sound "bigger" and, I hate to use this word, "airy"!

CL-10

Reaction score
I have several sets of Antiquities. I like them as much as any of the other Boutique pickups I own. Originally I didn't feel that way, I felt that they sounded pretty average to me, and I sold the first set I ever bought. Later I bought them back, and tried changing the magnets out, for a more charged magnet. I had read about others trying this, so I gave it a shot. Then they really came to life.
Antiquities are a fairly "Hot" pickup averaging around 7.7k for the neck and 8.7k for the bridge - while a Seth model is around 7.2k neck and 8.1k bridge and a fully charged magnet. I would guess that's why the Seth's may sound a little hotter, is due to their fully charged magnet vs the weaker magnet in the Antiquity. You could charge up the Alnico 2 magnets to a fuller strength, or experiment with an A-5, Un-oriented A-5, or my personal preference the Alnico 4.
A magnet change will bring theses to life in a big way.

bluefrog

Reaction score
the antiquity neck is superb one of my favourites ...

the ANT bridge may be too weak for a SG - here I wd take a 59b if SD,
or any boutique hotter paf.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Haven't tried them BUT... I really have heard great things from reviews. I'm about to get a set. :) If it's anything like the other Duncan's, it'll be mindblowing.

AllmanJoy77

Reaction score
Don't mean to get off topic but for the record Derek was using Sheptones for a while and now has real PAFs in his SG

The antiquities seem REALLY nice though, Ive heard nothing but good things about them

RossingtonLP

Reaction score
i have some in my R9 - very nice!

According to one of my USA sources...........

The Antiquity is a custom made Seth Lover with an aged cover..........:hmm: :hmm:

GPDUSA

Reaction score
We've had extremely positive feedback from our customers on the Antiquities, they love 'em! :thumb:

cheeseflavor

Reaction score
They are my personal favorite pickup, and for better or for worse, the ones I compare any new pickups against. Very woody with that great 'honk' that a PAF should have.

YMMV :)

Steve

SkyslideMG

Reaction score
Don't mean to get off topic but for the record Derek was using Sheptones for a while and now has real PAFs in his SG

The antiquities seem REALLY nice though, Ive heard nothing but good things about them

Where did you hear that from (just curious)? I think I had heard the Sheptone thing as well, but I heard it along with things that he had tried a bunch of other stuff. I remember that part coming from an interview around the time of Songlines when he said he used the Antiquities, but then the one about '57 Classics being from around the time or a little after Already Free was released.

I wouldn't be surprised about the real PAFs, but I know he owns and plays a real '62 w/ PAFs live sometimes.

Sorry to derail the topic...

56lp

Reaction score
I have a few different brands of "PAF" sets in my collection. I like the PAF Antiquities a lot and currently have them in 2 of my Les Pauls.

Reaction score
Haven't tried the Antiquity humbuckers, but the Antiquity P-90 comes closer than I've heard to my '55 P-90 than anything else.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very good pickups. I sold a ton of them and never had anyone say they didn't dig them.

Seth's are really good too and worth a look.

LtKojak

Reaction score
Ants are great, they're smooth. They REALLY sound Vintage, and so they look, if looks are important to you.

I prefer the Seths, they're sharper and more tridimensional, even though they're not as harmonic complex as the Ants.

You can't go wrong with either of them. The Seth sound like a NOS set of GOOD PAFs , the Ants sound like an OLD set of GOOD PAFs. Take your pick!

Goldtop75

Reaction score
Ants are great, they're smooth. They REALLY sound Vintage, and so they look, if looks are important to you.

I prefer the Seths, they're sharper and more tridimensional, even though they're not as harmonic complex as the Ants.

I fully agree. For some reason, I MUCH prefer the Seths to the Ants. I had one set of Ants, and I hated them. Flat, shrill, and just plain yucky.:laugh2: I was not impressed. I think I got a bad set. Much preferred the SH55s I had in the past.:thumb:

Latest Threads