Duncan Amos vs Wizz vs. Throbak vs. ??? Best PAF?

BlackForestSociety

Reaction score
Hey guys, i want to put some new PAF style humbuckers in my old Gibson Flying V from the 70ties.

Someone mounted some seymour duncan custom distortion 5000 afterburner pickups in the 80ties, but i want to have a more vintage like tone.

The sounds i prefer vary from Paul Kossoff to Jimmy Page and early Tony Iommi. Early Hardrock tones and nice clean up with the guitars volume.

Does anybody have experience with all those PAF Clones from Duncan, Wizz, Throbak ect???

It needs to have a aged nickel cover to match the rest of the guitar.

What and why are you using?

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
Tom Holmes. or Throbak. Ive got Tom Holmes, and theyll never leave my guitar. Most clean, articulate, harmonically rich and clear humbuckers Ive ever heard..
My buddy who has a 1 owner 61 Les Paul, calls my replica 59 Burst the harp guitar.

ARandall

Reaction score
I've got pickups from a number of winders.
All do great things, but they also do slightly different things - and they can be very guitar dependent as to whether they suit a given instrument. Every winder has a 'style' of wind, the same way legendary players have their own sound (actually style is more accurate).

Will you get someone raving about any given pickup being awesome....of course. If you wait long enough you'll get recommendations of about 50 other pickups to try as well.
Do any of us know what you want. Not at all. We can only guess. Your ears are the only guide here.

So I'd look at a range of say 5-10 winders, and find the ones that fit your budget. Then read threads, look at vids, and also get a feel for the level of 'marketing spin' you want to deal with (Dave Stephens is pretty much 'too much fluff' for anyone just as an example).
That should leave one or two companies who seem to fit with the level of 'attention to detail', and relatability you want. Then hit them up with your goals and ideal tone, and they will tell you the pickup they think will be the ideal model. A decent winder should have a no/low cost 'returns for tweaking' policy if the first set isn't quite what you want.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Stephens Design, Tone Specific, ReWind all make outstanding PAF clones. WIZZ are good if you can get the right magnet combination. I've always been a fan of Antiquities as well.

It's all subjective. Best of luck!

AJK1

Reaction score
My vote is for Amos
I’m biased as I have a set in my LP Custom
Wonderful PAF sounding pickups and as they are rare and hard to get not many other people will sound like me lol

BigJim

Reaction score
My search ended with ThroBak MXV 101s (in my Goldtop) and ReWind Electric Creme Brulees that @cooljuk modified with A5s.

I would say talk to a few winders and let them guide you, what is "right" for someone's guitar, may not be "right" for yours.

@cooljuk from ReWind Electric is very helpful, and winds a really nice pickup.

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite are Fralin Pure PAF. Available in several output levels. I know a lot of guys use these and love them. He's making yet another set for me in a day or two, if he's not already made them.

Fralin Pure PAF

kingsxman

Reaction score
Whats your budget? Start from there.
Less than $200? Probabaly some sort of Duncan.
$350ish? I really like Sheptones in that category. Used Fralins or Lollars. (Have not had Wolftones but hear really good things.
$500ish? used Throbaks or Wizz.
$600 ish New Throbaks
$1200-$2k: Holmes.

AJK1

Reaction score
Hey guys, i want to put some new PAF style humbuckers in my old Gibson Flying V from the 70ties.

Someone mounted some seymour duncan custom distortion 5000 afterburner pickups in the 80ties, but i want to have a more vintage like tone.

The sounds i prefer vary from Paul Kossoff to Jimmy Page and early Tony Iommi. Early Hardrock tones and nice clean up with the guitars volume.

Does anybody have experience with all those PAF Clones from Duncan, Wizz, Throbak ect???

It needs to have a aged nickel cover to match the rest of the guitar.

What and why are you using?
What did you get ?

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
Tom Holmes. or Throbak. Ive got Tom Holmes, and theyll never leave my guitar. Most clean, articulate, harmonically rich and clear humbuckers Ive ever heard..
My buddy who has a 1 owner 61 Les Paul, calls my replica 59 Burst the harp guitar.

Another vote for Toms pickups. That'd be my choice. Just heard then on a YouTube demo and they are it!

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
Whats your budget? Start from there.
Less than $200? Probabaly some sort of Duncan.
$350ish? I really like Sheptones in that category. Used Fralins or Lollars. (Have not had Wolftones but hear really good things.
$500ish? used Throbaks or Wizz.
$600 ish New Throbaks
$1200-$2k: Holmes.

You can order from Tom, wait 6 months, and pay around $600. If you dont like them, you can most likely sell them for considerably more than you payed for them.

kingsxman

Reaction score
You can order from Tom, wait 6 months, and pay around $600. If you dont like them, you can most likely sell them for considerably more than you payed for them.
Tom has been retired for awhile now. Hence the rather large jump in these pickups prices in the used market.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
I sent Tom a message, and his wife said there is a 1 year waiting list. She asked me if I wanted on the list with no guarantee he would get to me, but I suspect Tom will fulfill peoples orders that are on the list.
I got on the list, though I do have 2 sets of his pickups. One already instaled in a guitar.

Latest Threads