Dumb knob question

lunchbox

Reaction score
I have a 1991 LP Standard that has the stock pots.

I recently bought some gold knobs for it to replace the ambers that were on it. When I got them I noticed that they sit too far down on the shaft and rub on the body. So I took them off and noticed that the plastic where the shaft goes in is not flush with the bell, as the amber knobs were.

So now I want to put some reflectors on and can't seem to find any that are flush across the bottom. Can anyone tell me which knobs I need to buy that are flush across the bottom? Do I have short or long shaft pots? They look like fine spline, but the fine spline one's I ordered don't seem to fit correctly.

Maxwell

Reaction score
You may need to adjust the nut on the shaft of the pot on the inside of the guitar to have some more thread showing on the outside..... Make sense? You will only be able to do this if they are long shaft pots, which is likely

Also, perhaps if they fit neat, maybe you don't need to push them on all the way?

lunchbox

Reaction score
I took a look at that and the shafts are already bottomed out on the grounding plate. And I don't want to remove the plate because it's UGLY under it. Terrible routing gouges; so bad that the pots wouldn't sit straight through the holes if I mounted them against the wood.

Also, the amber knobs that I have that are flush on the bottom fit perfectly as it is, so I'd like to get some more of those in reflector.

Colnago1

Reaction score
Are the amber knobs genuine Gibson? How about the new gold ones that you bought? If the amber ones are and the gold ones are not, I'd assume that genuine Gibson reflectors are what you're after. Sorry, not much help. Just trying the process of elimination.

Maxwell

Reaction score
You won't have to take the pots off the plate, its a but of a fiddly job but you can adjust it. There is a thread here somewhere related to it. I will have a look. ....

lunchbox

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm gonna try adjusting the pots again.

The Archer

Reaction score
I read this and thought "why would this gentleman refer to himself as a dumb knob?"

Then I read the post and realize he didnt.

Latest Threads