Dudley Craven & Ken Bran - lest we forget.....

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Now, I am sorry JM passed away, respect to the "Lord of Loud".....

Jim Marshall was a drummer, and a drum teacher who opened a music gear shop, down the Uxbridge Road in Hanwell, with his earnings. Ken Bran and the band he was with (Peppy and the New York Twisters) used to go in to "Marshalls" - Jim Marshall's drum shop - and Jim pretty soon hired him as an engineer or technician. Jim often referred to him as "my repair man....."
Ken put to Jim the idea of building their own amplifiers, parts sourced locally, to undercut the expensive imported Fenders, and they brought in another engineer, Dudley Craven, an apprentice poached from EMI, to help them do it.
Dudley is sadly dead now - but his electronics skills which got the sound Ken Bran was after are what made those early Marshalls sound so different from the Fenders they evolved from. Lest we forget.....
We all of us have stood on the shoulders of giants, ALL of us.....

Superlizard

Reaction score
Now, I am sorry JM passed away, respect to the "Lord of Loud".....

Jim Marshall was a drummer, and a drum teacher who opened a music gear shop, down the Uxbridge Road in Hanwell, with his earnings. Ken Bran and the band he was with (Peppy and the New York Twisters) used to go in to "Marshalls" - Jim Marshall's drum shop - and Jim pretty soon hired him as an engineer or technician. Jim often referred to him as "my repair man....."
Ken put to Jim the idea of building their own amplifiers, parts sourced locally, to undercut the expensive imported Fenders, and they brought in another engineer, Dudley Craven, an apprentice poached from EMI, to help them do it.
Dudley is sadly dead now - but his electronics skills which got the sound Ken Bran was after are what made those early Marshalls sound so different from the Fenders they evolved from. Lest we forget.....
We all of us have stood on the shoulders of giants, ALL of us.....

Egg
-zactly. :thumb:

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

@ Fezziwig - I don't "know a lot".
But I do know what I know. I used to go to the same electronics component wholesaler (Radio Spares back then - RS Components now) through the seventies, and I used to talk to these people there, and in various places around Denmark Street. And the guys who used their gear.
Fiction is fine and dandy - but I prefer facts.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Jim Marshall could be, shall we say "economiclal with the truth".
How many people know where son Terry worked when they fell out?
The "T" of JTM is rumoured to have decamped to Simms Watts.....
And when Ken Underwood started to reminisce about the early days of the JTM 45,
he got some pretty sharp emails telling him to "keep his nose out....."
even though he was involved in the first half dozen or so that came out.
Bran, Craven & Underwood. Great name for an amp. :applause:

(This mostly from Vintage Amps and Ken Underwood)

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Most of the names that are giants now had beginnings that are mostly very humble. Vox, Marshall et all. It's like they've been around forever but of course they haven't. People forget that now. 95% of what we take for granted in "guitarworld" was cobbled together in garden sheds over a thermos of tea and a packet of Craven A.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

Too true Cookster - it's the age old story. Overnight success.
It comes after years of blood, sweat and tears. Like Andy Summers - People always ignore the fact that before the Police he was in Zoot Money's band which became Dantalian's Chariot, The Soft Machine for a US tour, various tours and stints with Eric Burdon and the Animals, Kevin Coyne, Neil Sedaka, Kevin Ayers and Mike Oldfield. That's a ten year stretch in to overnight success with the Police.....

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

Sweet find Superlizard - only played a NARB once, and it was good.....

Barbara Craven

Reaction score
Dudley often spoke of those frenetic days - he actually built some of the first prototypes in his little ham shack in the back yard while he was still working at EMI and he would fall asleeo at his workbench from sheer exhaustion!

Dudley and I were married for thirty years until he passed away in 1998 from cancer. I contacted Jim Marshall back in 2005 when I found out he had been trying to find Dudley. Jim was kind enought to send me a copy of his book "The Father of Loud" inscribed "To Barbara, With Best Wishes, Jim Marshall OBE"

I never ceased to be amazed at the things Dudley designed and developed over the years - including the first commercially available, affordable GPS navigation device believe it or not!

nick1962

Reaction score
Wow, the wife of a legendary amp builder is on here!

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you Barabara.
It's an honour to hear from the families of those guys.
And intriguing to hear of Dudley's other innovations and inventions.

I feel that too many associate the early Marshalls and everything they stand for solely with Jim. That is why I took the opportunity (possibly inapropriate to some) of Jim's sad death and the ensuing honours and tributes that flooded in to just remind the younger players that Jim did not work alone, and that a lot of the iconic "Marshall" sound was down to a team, and not Jim Marshall alone. Not my intention to detract from Jim's legacy, but rather to give credit where due.

So - to Jim Marshall :applause:

But also Dudley and the two Kens and all the others, also :applause:

TradoPete

Reaction score
Wow, I was 16 when Barbara married Dudley ... and I had just bought the album that would change the course of my life - Electric Ladyland. Suddenly the world was a different colour.
In his way Dudley, Jim amd Ken Bran - and of course, Jimi, Mitch and Noel - altered the way we perceived the world and challenged the old order.
May their names live forever.