Ducan Antiquities vs. Rewind vs Original T-Tops

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a set of Seth Lovers...they are wonderful pickups in most guitars.

I haven't delved into the bailiwick of individual pup winders' offerings as yet. I can see why it would be a very rewarding experience to hear as well as play a very accurate replica of one of those early Gibby pickups in my own Les Paul.

I settled on a set of Seth Lovers three years ago and while probably not quite as satisfying as say a set from some of the esteemed winders here, they do fit my style of playing which keeps me pleased each time that I pick up my Les Paul.

Classicplayer

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
This has to be one of most fascinating and informative threads re: pickups that I'e read on MLP......which happens to be my fav forum too.

I haven't delved into the bailiwick of individual pup winders' offerings as yet. I can see why it would be a very rewarding experience to hear as well as play a very accurate replica of one of those early Gibby pickups in my own Les Paul.

I settled on a set of Seth Lovers three years ago and while probably not quite as satisfying as say a set from some of the esteemed winders here, they do fit my style of playing which keeps me pleased each time that I pick up my Les Paul. I play more than one style of music, so these work for me in that I can find a way to tweak them and my guitar to accommodate a particular style....so much so that I've started to think that my Les Paul could some day become my one and only guitar. Crazy, I know! I do get that feeling now and then.

I fully understand the feeling of hearing an ancient set of PAF pickups, or even any of the varieties of replicas written and discussed here, in your own Les Paul....for the first time. I may go back on my word at some point and get a set for myself...money be damned. Being that I'm one of those players who rides guitar volume knobs to achieve various degrees of “breakup”, they might be superlative at doing just that.

Classicplayer

Sounds to me like you've already found the perfect pickups for that guitar.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've already found the perfect pickups for that guitar.

Perhaps. I've been experimenting these past few weeks with playing 40's and 50's “jump blues” ala Louis Jordan's concept of it. It requires lots more speed and the leaping up and down one string at the end of a lick or phrase.....maybe some (few?) here remember that style of guitar playing where the only distortion was from those old road-worn amps with tubes that were in bad need of replacing. Who knew that those sounds would later develop into pedal and pickup technology?

In any event; Les Pauls can do the job and the Seth’s seem up for it, too. Don't know about the B.B. 1,2 set in my other Lester. I envision those perhaps becoming eligible for an “experiment”.....sometime later. As for now, still getting their “sound” sort of worked into my
consciousness, so to speak.

Classicplayer

AJK1

Reaction score
I just installed a Dimarzio 59 PAF set and they are excellent !
As they are A5 mags, they are a little bright and edgy, but they do have more mids than other A5 pickups i've used which is good
But i still think A2 mag PAFS are the typical PAF sound

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
An interesting discussion. Lately I have put a set of pickups wound by another member here that goes by Mouse into the Hamer Studio that I will keep. They sound wonderful. I put a set of Antiquities in a Washburn Pilsen Idol that sound fantastic. I have also put Antiquities in for a friend of mine in his Les Paul that made it sound right to him and myself. It had Burstbuckers that didn't give him the tone palette he was looking for. Part of what makes these pups sound great is that they are not potted and are not overly "hot".

The other key to the sound is a set of good pots and wiring the tone caps (non-ceramic) in the 50's style. I like orange drop or PIO caps.

Regardless of which pups you wind up with, make sure the pots and caps are of very good quality. Take you time dialing the pups in. Many crank them too close to the strings and get some nasty sounds.

Latest Threads