Duane Allman 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Up for Sale

Guitarguynumber1

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

Just came across this forum and really like what I see, so I’m hoping to become a part of this community.

For my first post, I wanted to share an incredible Les Paul guitar going up for sale. It’s the 1957 Goldtop Gibson “Layla” Les Paul Guitar, which was his main guitar during his first two years in the Allman Brothers. We all know about this guitar, it is one of the most historic and publicized guitars ever. I even saw this guitar live in concert and the sound was just beautiful. The owner lets people play it, the Rolling Stones were supposed to play it at the end of July. I recently saw Gottahaverockandroll.com has the guitar and they estimate it at 1.5 million - 3 million dollars. Do you guys think its worth that much?

Last edited:

Dick Banks

Reaction score
If it sells for that much, then it's worth that much.

Sounds like I'm being obtuse, but really, for something with this kid of history--there is not a lot of precedence. I suppose you could look at this one:

Gary Moore's '59 Goldtop, $2M:

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
wow. That guitar sold for 2 million. This guitar is better
Not arguing, but how do you arrive at the statement "This guitar is better"?
Have you played them?
I HAVE played the Gary Moore/Peter Green burst above and it is an outstanding guitar.
I have never played the Allman goldtop so I can not speak on that.

And welcome to the asylum.

emerald81

Reaction score
If it sells for that much, then it's worth that much.

Sounds like I'm being obtuse, but really, for something with this kid of history--there is not a lot of precedence. I suppose you could look at this one:

Gary Moore's '59 Goldtop, $2M:

View attachment 393169
Not a goldtop, greeny originally was cherry sunburst. And the sale value was not 2m. Much inferior price.

moreles

Reaction score
Dick Banks got it right. At that level, it's a matter of what the object is worth to a particular individual. Its general worth is of course way, way less, but for some buyers, dollars are insignificant and personal compulsions rule. If I could never resell the guitar -- this one, any one -- I don't think I would spend more than $10K on anything. Greenie included. Though a '57 goldtop is my favorite instrument of all time.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

Just came across this forum and really like what I see, so I’m hoping to become a part of this community.

For my first post, I wanted to share an incredible Les Paul guitar going up for sale. It’s the 1957 Goldtop Gibson “Layla” Les Paul Guitar, which was his main guitar during his first two years in the Allman Brothers. We all know about this guitar, it is one of the most historic and publicized guitars ever. I even saw this guitar live in concert and the sound was just beautiful. The owner lets people play it, the Rolling Stones were supposed to play it at the end of July. I recently saw Gottahaverockandroll.com has the guitar and they estimate it at 1.5 million - 3 million dollars. Do you guys think its worth that much?
:welcome: and i guarantee ya that guitar will cost more than a Squier.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Neither of those fine Les Pauls would sound like 2 mil in my hands...... so why bother.

If all of the proceeds go to a worthy charity or needy children or the like..... I hope it sells for 10 million...... then it would be worth every penny.

But to line someone’s pocket.... Nope.... don’t care.

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
I would pay every dollar I could possibly spare for that guitar, as long as it still has its original pickups.

:doh:
I believe when Skydog traded for his burst he pulled the pickups out of the Goldtop and put them in his burst.

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
WoW...lot of bids! :rofl: :rofl:(minimum bid 1 million?)

E37FAD74-5879-4A3B-96B4-70A5F3495AA6.jpeg