dual sound 3-wire hell

79standard

Reaction score
Hi Kidz! :wave:

After frittering away a good 45 minutes searching MLP; the DiMarzio forum; DiMarzio's home page; and the WWW in general, using all the different search strings I can think of (yes, I'm saying all this to avoid another one of River's lectures about wasting people's time), I have found absolutely nothing about how to wire the old-fashioned 3-conductor Dimarzio DUAL SOUND.

I am willing to admit that I may have missed something obvious somewhere, but I gave it a good shot before starting the thread.

If any of you have any info about this, I'd be much obliged.

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
What colours are the wires? What are you trying to do, what guitar, how many pickups, what kind of switching?

You can use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the wires and figure it out in 10 seconds. One wire is the ground, it will be connected to the baseplate of the pickup. Then measure between the other wires and ground. The one with highest resistance is hot and the lower resistance is the coil tap.

79standard

Reaction score
What colours are the wires? What are you trying to do, what guitar, how many pickups, what kind of switching?

You can use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the wires and figure it out in 10 seconds. One wire is the ground, it will be connected to the baseplate of the pickup. Then measure between the other wires and ground. The one with highest resistance is hot and the lower resistance is the coil tap.
Thanks. :thumb:
I metered it last night. One pair gives me 6.5K, another 1 Meg (uh oh!), no matter how I work it.

I'm a little worried that no combination of wires produces the full 13K.

The pickup is home, and I'm at the office: I'm gonna have to give it another good look-see when I get home.

79standard

Reaction score
Thanks, Indyclone! I'll check it out using the knowledge you've provided. I appreciate the quick response muchly! :wave:

Edit: I looked at your link, and mine is a Dual-Sound, designed to be tappable but not advanced enough for series/parallel. The seller tells me "There is one wire for "hot", one for the north coil, one for the south and the bare lead as the only ground wire. If there was a dead coil you wouldn't be able to get a full 13k under any conditions. It should work fine as long as it's installed correctly." The problem is that I never did find a pair that gave me 13K.

79standard

Reaction score
BTW, right now my goal is to just make sure this old Dual Sound is working to spec.

It has an awesome patina/corrosion on the brass baseplate, which has no "DP" number. Grey plastic lead. Full of mojo. Will try to get pix tonight if anyone thinks it'll help.

79standard

Reaction score
Seller seems like a good and honest man, and I am sure that when I get home and test this thing correctly, it'll work.
LATEST FROM SELLER-- COULD BE USEFUL FOR OTHER DUAL SOUND BUYERS:
"The reason for the extra green wire on a modern 4-conductor is so you can pick which of the 2 coils you want to be active in split mode. For full humbucking you solder the clear and black wires together and tape them off, then connect the red wire to the hot lead on your pot and the bare wire to ground.

So for testing purposes hold the clear and black leads together and put the red lead from you multimeter to the red wire and the black lead from your multimeter to the bare wire.
"

79standard

Reaction score
Success! :thumb: Not that anyone gives a poo by now :laugh2:, but I got 12.77K by tying the clear and black together, using the red as hot and the bare as negative.

The ancient Dual Sound is a winner!

I gave the quick-n-lazy test of clipping the leads to a test jack and holding the pup over the strings while I strummed, and WOW is this thing OPEN. :shock:

Surprisingly clear, and it rocks in the NECK, too! (Or, more accurately, when I hovered it over the neck position.)

Of course, some of this is because it's not potted. The ancient Super D that's also going into my Standard isn't potted either. I have this uneasy feeling this guitar is gonna squeal like a piggie when I hit the fuzz pedal. :hmm:

Anyone have any experience playing unpotted Supers?

79standard

Reaction score
Nice, I'm glad you figured it out.
Many thanks, FF! :wave: I hope my findings are useful to others who stumble across these great old pickups. (BTW, does FF stand for Fuzz Face, one of the greatest inventions of the 20th Century?)

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Necro post!

I just had a client give me a Dimarzio humbucker. Looks brand new. But it's not. I e-mailed dimarzio tech and they told me it was an early super distortion (3 wire like the OP)

I am stoked! The Super D was the very first upgrade I ever did to any guitar. I did it to my strat when I was a kid in the 70s, changed out the bridge single coil for a super distortion....and I have never looked back. It was such a great sound for a RAWK guitar back then. Think I'll throw it in my old Kramer Pacer.
P1070083.JPG

P1070084.JPG

79standard

Reaction score
Necroposting can be beautiful. :laugh2:

Yep, olde-tyme Super Ds and Dual Sounds can be great pickups for the right application.

I may wanna shed my old creme-coil Dual -- if you want another one, PM me.

Latest Threads