Dual amp setup: Vox AC15 or AC30?

TonyAsh

Reaction score
So...I'm really loving the Vox sound as of late. I've played through the new AC30C2 with Greenbacks, AC15C1 with Greenback, and a used AC30CC2 with Wharfdales. All sounded great with my Les Paul, and I've been thinking that I'd like to pick one of these up to double as a home practice amp (I'll be cranking the pre volume and keeping the master very low for this purpose) and as the second amp in a side by side live setup with my Orange OR120/4x12 half stack.

My question to you is, before I decide which to buy, would the AC15C1 or C2 (the 2x12 model with Greenbacks) be able to hold its own alongside a super loud amp like an OR120? I'm not looking for cleans from the Vox, but I don't want complete saturation either. My preference lies somewhere in the neighborhood of AC/DC, Stooges' Raw Power -esque crunch. Would the AC15C2 with its two speakers give a fuller, bigger sound than the C1 that might make it a better candidate for me? Or do I need to just spring for the AC30?

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
Have you run two amps together before? I ran into a bunch of grounding issues which didn't happen at home, didn't happen in the practice room but sure enough revealed themselves at a show... even with a Lehle dual pedal which was supposed to solve them. I decided it was easier to run just one amp.

TonyAsh

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to run a JCM 800 2203 half stack alongside a JMP 2204 half stack, then very briefly used the JCM 800 alongside a Hot Rod Deville as well. Minimal ground issues, though I've seen/heard plenty of guys have horrible hum issues when doing this.

I feel like the AC15C1 would be ideal so I could transport it more easily when needed, and because it'll be ever-so-slightly-quieter when doing the late night playing at home thing. My fear is that, with my Orange running at half tilt through four G12H30's, the AC15 will disappear, which obviously defeats the whole point of running two amps. I do love my Orange's tone. It's THE amp as far as I'm concerned. I just can't stop imagining what a little edge of breakup, chiming Vox flavor mixed with the darker, slightly fuzzy punch of the OR would sound like. Did I mention there will be a Rangemaster clone in front of each of these? It just sounds so potentially awesome.

chef

Reaction score
I have an AC30CCH Head. It is Loud. Very Loud. Louder with 2x12 or 4x12 but plenty loud with a 1x12 cab.

TonyAsh

Reaction score
I ended up putting an AC15C1 on layaway until my next paycheck or until my Tiny Terror head sells. Took one into the amp demo room at GC. It sounded really good at low, apartment volume levels. Then I cranked the master and turned the Top Boost volume up to about 3:00 and it nearly blew me out of the room. Seems plenty loud.

With my '75 Les Paul, I was playing the main riff to "Search and Destroy" over and over and nailing that sound. Can't wait to take it home. I think it'll sit in a mix with my Orange nicely and add that top end bite that I like to the overall sound. If not, I'll either try a more efficient Greenback-esque speaker in it like an Eminence Private Jack, or return it and go with the AC30C2.

leewaun

Reaction score
So...I'm really loving the Vox sound as of late. I've played through the new AC30C2 with Greenbacks, AC15C1 with Greenback, and a used AC30CC2 with Wharfdales. All sounded great with my Les Paul, and I've been thinking that I'd like to pick one of these up to double as a home practice amp (I'll be cranking the pre volume and keeping the master very low for this purpose) and as the second amp in a side by side live setup with my Orange OR120/4x12 half stack.

My question to you is, before I decide which to buy, would the AC15C1 or C2 (the 2x12 model with Greenbacks) be able to hold its own alongside a super loud amp like an OR120? I'm not looking for cleans from the Vox, but I don't want complete saturation either. My preference lies somewhere in the neighborhood of AC/DC, Stooges' Raw Power -esque crunch. Would the AC15C2 with its two speakers give a fuller, bigger sound than the C1 that might make it a better candidate for me? Or do I need to just spring for the AC30?

The AC15 c2 weighs 66 pounds. The AC30 weighs 70 pounds. If you plan to lug around that much amp get the ac30. Then you know you have the wattage to spare. I myself just bought a AC15c1 and couldn't be happier. Ac30 is way too much for me.

Latest Threads