drop fill question

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have tried different ways to drop fill, but have had varying results over the years. in particular, what is the best/most trouble free product to use to drop fill small divits in lacquer finishes. i'm looking for least amount of applications and minimum shrinking. i'm also concerned with leaving a ring around the repair, as i've had happen in past. lacquer works fine, but doesn't build fast. thanks

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Match the finish chemistry. Lacquer for lacquer. Acrylic lacquer will build faster for drop fills but even urethanes shrink back as the solvent evaporates.

As for the ring, use a single edged razor blade as a scraper which will take down the ring without taking down the finish around it, until you reach the point where the ring is level with the finish.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
And wrap "Scotch" tape firmly around either side of the razor blade, leaving enough bare space to scrape your fill. This will let you get it down to ~.003" without scratching anything around it. I think this is a Freddy trick.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Terry McInturff posted a tip where you spill some lacquer on your bench or in a lid and heat it with a heat gun. It’s startsto thicken as the chemicals evaporate. The thicker lacquer can be used as a drop fill with out as much interaction with the layer below and builds faster. The great thing about lacquers is also it’s downfall: it melts into the previous layer. Not good on things like gold tops, translucent finishes etc. a drop fill can thin a color and be more visible than leaving it.

there are lacqure touch up sticks, but I have never tried them.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've used the lacquer touch up sticks for small dings like on headstocks. They do work but they take forever to build up too. And colors are limited.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the particular issue i'm having is on some binding i did. it's multilayered, including one horizontal piece on the bottom of the main binding. for whatever reason there is a depression on the .020 accent strip in a place or two and wanted to get a quicker fill. i was thinking about masking both sides so as to form a barrier, and put in clear epoxy, but wasn't sure about mixing different product. i like the 'distilling' process for some lacquer, getting it to thicken a bit.

thanks to all.

Latest Threads