Driving me nuts, help me....

BigJim

Reaction score
Wasn't there a famous 50s 'Burst that had a Les Paul Custom "split diamond" headstock?

I thought it was Joe Walsh's, but watched a few old Eagles vids and it wasn't...

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigJim

Reaction score
Nah. It was a 50s Standard with a split diamond overlay, but trapezoid inlays...

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was the guitar he used on the French TV special but I looked at the vids again I could find and can't tell.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Thorpe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guitar in that vid looks like a Custom, not just because of the headstock diamond, but the inlays are a la Custom as well, including a first-fret inlay.

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
BigJim

Dont want my fellow MLP member to go nuts! I am aware of three bursts that were renecked and had the split diamond inlay on the headstck.

First is 0 7446 formerly owned by Brady Bulger . It was renecked by Gibson with a ebony board, large headstock, block fingerboard inlays like a LP Ctm and split diamond inlay. JJB (Johnny Jelly Bean) on the LPF bought it and had it renecked again but with a 59 profile neck. 60 pinstripe on the LPF also knows about this guitar.

Second is 9 0388. Also a reneck (done in the 1970's) with LP Ctm neck (that had a volute). The volute was sanded down to normal 59 type and the neck depth was thinned like a 60. A newer owner had this guitar sent to Historic Makeovers for a new neck that Kim made from old wood he had. A real 52 fingerboard was put on that neck. The HM neck is chunkier and not thin. This guitar has had three necks on it and two refins.

Third is a flamey 59 with a stop tail (no Bigsby) that was refinished and renecked by a LPF member who bought it in 1972 in Detroit. A pissed off roadie busted the reneck! A newer owner had it renecked with a SG Std neck but added the split diamond inlay to the head.

Dont know how famous these bursts are but I hope this might help you from going crazy!! Happy New Year :cheers:

BigJim

Reaction score
BigJim

Dont want my fellow MLP member to go nuts! I am aware of three bursts that were renecked and had the split diamond inlay on the headstck.

First is 0 7446 formerly owned by Brady Bulger . It was renecked by Gibson with a ebony board, large headstock, block fingerboard inlays like a LP Ctm and split diamond inlay. JJB (Johnny Jelly Bean) on the LPF bought it and had it renecked again but with a 59 profile neck. 60 pinstripe on the LPF also knows about this guitar.

Second is 9 0388. Also a reneck (done in the 1970's) with LP Ctm neck (that had a volute). The volute was sanded down to normal 59 type and the neck depth was thinned like a 60. A newer owner had this guitar sent to Historic Makeovers for a new neck that Kim made from old wood he had. A real 52 fingerboard was put on that neck. The HM neck is chunkier and not thin. This guitar has had three necks on it and two refins.

Third is a flamey 59 with a stop tail (no Bigsby) that was refinished and renecked by a LPF member who bought it in 1972 in Detroit. A pissed off roadie busted the reneck! A newer owner had it renecked with a SG Std neck but added the split diamond inlay to the head.

Dont know how famous these bursts are but I hope this might help you from going crazy!! Happy New Year :cheers:
Thank you!

Just wondering where I saw one of these, maybe a guitar book?

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
60pinstripe on the LPF posted pics of 0 7446 with it's LP Ctm neck. I think there might be a thread on the LPF about bursts with split diamond head inlays. Search there and you might learn more. Good luck and let us know if there are more.

Latest Threads