DR Tite Fits and Gotoh locking tuners on a LP - how to restring

ivanvir

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently installed Gotoh SG301 tuners on my Studio; tuners are great so far, I have nothing but good to say about them. However, I'd like to try a set of DR Tite Fits and I'm not sure what would be the best way to restring the guitar. DR recommend to crimp the strings before installing them to protect the string from unwrapping as it is a round core, but I'm not sure how to do that. Should the crimped (curved) part go into the tuner and then be locked? Or it does not matter with locking tuners as they are going to lock and effect the wrap anyway? Thanks!

Lungo

Reaction score
I used Tite Fits for a few years with locking tuners and never crimped. I was playing so much at the time that I changed strings every ten days so I went through a lot of sets. Never had a problem.

ivanvir

Reaction score
I used Tite Fits for a few years with locking tuners and never crimped. I was playing so much at the time that I changed strings every ten days so I went through a lot of sets. Never had a problem.
Thanks, man! It makes sense not to crimp them as the locking mechanism affects the wrap anyway, but I admit I am not an expert...just trying not to screw something. Cheers!

ivanvir

Reaction score
If anyone is interested: I crimped them anyway, cut the excessive part of the strings and locked them, without tightening the lock screws too hard. Thought that crimping might help in preventing the wound strings unwrapping when locked, I read it happened to some people. So far, everything seems and sounds good.

neoclassical

Reaction score
The crimps should end up behind the nut, before the machine head peg.