Dozens of Jimmy Buffett fans fall seriously ill in the Dominican Republic

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I just watched the video. My unprofessional diagnosis... Pontiac Fever, a mild form of Legionnaires' disease.

From the video, the guy said everyone who got sick
  • Swam in the swim-up pool bar (nasty)
  • By the middle of the week, people were getting sick.

I believe Pontiac Fever and Legionellae are widely overlooked (or flat out covered-up). I won't even go in a room that has a public whirlpool or spa. Even the brand-new ones at home-shows make me nervous.

Info from the CDC: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/legionellosis-legionnaires-disease-pontiac-fever
==========================================================
Inhalation of a water aerosol containing the bacteria. The bacterium grows in warm freshwater environments. A single episode of possible person-to-person transmission of Legionnaires’ disease has been reported.​
EPIDEMIOLOGY
Legionellae are ubiquitous worldwide. Disease occurs after exposure to aquatic settings that promote bacterial growth—the aquatic environment is somewhat stagnant, the water is warm (77°F–108°F [25°C–42°C]), and the water must be aerosolized so that the bacteria can be inhaled into the lungs. These 3 conditions are met almost exclusively in developed or industrialized settings. Disease does not occur in association with natural freshwater settings such as waterfalls, lakes, or streams.​
Despite the presence of Legionella bacteria in many aquatic environments, the risk of developing legionellosis for most people is low. Travelers who are exposed to aerosolized, warm water containing Legionella are at risk for infection. Travelers who are aged >50 years, are current or former smokers, have chronic lung conditions, or are immunocompromised are at higher risk. Many outbreaks have been associated with exposure to cruise ships, hotels, and resorts. Exposures can occur when a person is in or near a whirlpool spa, showering in a hotel, standing near a decorative fountain, or touring in cities with buildings that have cooling towers. Patients often do not recall specific water exposures, as they frequently occur during normal activities.​
CLINICAL PRESENTATION
Legionnaires’ disease typically presents with pneumonia, which usually requires hospitalization and can be fatal in 10%–15% of cases. Symptom onset occurs 2–10 days after exposure; rarely up to 19 days. In outbreak settings, <5% of people exposed to the source of the outbreak develop Legionnaires’ disease.​
Pontiac fever is milder than Legionnaires’ disease and presents as an influenzalike illness, with fever, headache, and muscle aches, but no signs of pneumonia. Pontiac fever can affect healthy people, as well as those with underlying illnesses, and symptoms occur within 72 hours of exposure. Nearly all patients fully recover. Up to 95% of people exposed in outbreak settings can develop symptoms of Pontiac fever.​
After seeing this movie in the theater when I was a kid, I certainly had Pontiac fever, it lasted a good while.
37F9395D-381F-4934-8711-0FB14493BFD0.jpeg

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have had no interest in going there, but now after all these deaths and sicknesses I will never go....
We were supposed to go with two other couples. They have been there before, multiple times, and they raved about what a great time they had, especially for the money. I could take it or leave it, and when the stories start hitting the news, I told the wife no dice. Then our friends who have been raving about it said hell no.

judson

Reaction score
so let me get this straight......

you pay stupid money to visit a shithole 3rd world country that can not provide the basic necessity of life...clean water :wtf:

:slap:

how many Chibsons do you own?

MooCheng

Reaction score
bet there was a rush to get out after Buffett finished his set

Reactions: Who

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I’ve seen those guys get off the plane and damn if they didn’t have a hoochie mama on their arm before they left the airport.

I’ve been there multiple times with my family and it was fine, but I fell in love with Jamaica.
if I'm bringing family, Bermuda or Anguilla will do. If it's fun time for the boys, other locales might be more appropriate.

Kashmir

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
This is another of many situations like this going on in the DR. Some have been saying it's 'counterfeit alcohol.' Personally, I think it's quite possible that they're using their own water in drinks, instead of bottled water, and the water could be worse than usual. And usual is bad enough. Been there 3 times myself, and loved it. Something is definitely going on there lately though.

45WinMag

Reaction score
I'm going to open a hotel in the Dominican Republic that allows for getting the most out of the experience. Toilets on all the seaside balconies and camp toilets issued to all the guests for use on the beach. They can enjoy their diarrhea and the tropical paradise at the same time. No enclosed shitter that might as well be at home.

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s plenty to see in the good ole USA, I’ll let my wife go with some of her friends and I’ll go back to Montana and fly fishing, hard to fuck that up :lol: