Dozens of Jimmy Buffett fans fall seriously ill in the Dominican Republic

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Eek. Be glad you weren't in Central America (I hope). My good friend's aunt was down there on vacation, cut her leg on a planter in the hotel room and then got that flesh eating bacteria. She did not survive.
Damn Roxy, sorry to hear that. I stepped on it in my Great Grandmother's back yard when they were having a party. It is amazing how much blood will just pour out of your big toe if you cut it bad enough.

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Note to self, when traveling to The Dominican book a room with two restrooms and extra TP so I can enjoy my trip :laugh2: Also make sure will is current

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
This is Jimmy Buffet Music season for me! Buffet Live: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays plays in rotation at the pool!

:dude:

There have been a lot of tourist illnesses and deaths in the DR recently. Anything from bug spray to drinks from mini-bar are suspected.

Last edited:

Scooter2112

Reaction score
This is Jimmy Buffet Music season for me! Buffet Live - Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays plays in rotation at the pool!

:dude:

There have been a lot of tourist illnesses and deaths in the DR recently. Anything from bug spray to drinks from mini-bar are suspected.
It doesn't even have to be that difficult. They say when you're in Mexico, don't drink the water. I know plenty of people that heeded that advice and got sick anyway, just from a salad that was washed in Mexican water.

I spent a week at Lighthouse Reef, Belize a number of years ago on a dive trip with a buddy of mine. This is a very small tourist island thats 50 miles off the coast. By day 4, one of the workers was going door to door asking people if they had the "shits". We were fine, but apparently, quite a few of the 30 or so people there were getting the trots. We all ate at the same restaurant. There was no other option. If you got sick mid-week, the only recourse was to have a British military chopper take you to the mainland for treatment. Not a lot of good medical options while playing in the 3rd world.

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
The deal in DR is, in at least one case among many others, a couple found dead in their hotel room. Poisoning of some kind is suspected. The FBI is investigating. Just google it.

fry

Reaction score
I’ve been there multiple times with my family and it was fine, but I fell in love with Jamaica.
We were supposed to go to the DR this coming November with two other couples. Just before we booked everything, the stories started hitting the news daily, sometimes multiple stories a day. We booked Jamaica instead. Looking forward to it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My company held our annual Sales Kickoff at the Hard Rock in PC. The place was a shit hole, the food was almost inedible, the staff were rude and lacking, the cleanliness was awful and the resort was "tired" from the endless herds of trourists trampling through it over the years. Epic fail.

More than a few people had encounters with Montezuma, too.

Third World Country Resorts???? And, people are surprised? Ya get what you pay for.