Dozens of Jimmy Buffett fans fall seriously ill in the Dominican Republic

parts

Reaction score
(WFLA/NBC News) - A mysterious sickness left dozens of Jimmy Buffett fans seriously ill during a trip to the Dominican Republic, according to reports.

The Central Oklahoma Parrothead Association was vacationing in Punta Cana in April, staying at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao when a number of them were sickened.

"When all was said and done, I lost 19 pounds," one member told NBC News. "And I'm just grateful to be alive at this point."

Another member, Dana Flowers, told KFOR that 47 of the 114 people on the trip developed symptoms and many of them couldn't leave their rooms.

Flowers said they don't know what caused the illness, but they all "drank at the swim-up pool bar or swam at the swim-up pool."

The news comes after several other Americans were found dead at resorts in the country. The country's tourism minister says the deaths were completely isolated incidents.

All of 114 fans around the world got sick at the same time..
Go figure..

defcrew

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffet. Multi millionaire. Plays "Brown Eyed Girl" at his concerts. I understand people who play it at bars because they have to but, damn, isn't that just being too eager to please? If it weren't for all the baseball talent that comes out of the DR I'm not sure it'd be easy to find somethign nice to say about it.

KP11520

Reaction score
Years ago I went from Santo Domingo by bus to Casa de Campo. It went by a road that went through the middle and up and down a rising mountain or BIG hill.

Had one tourist trap stop for refreshments..

Had the BEST fresh ripe papaya and vanilla ice cream milk shake in my life. NOTHING like papaya picked ripe that morning for this.

Now I wouldn't even think of it .....or Parrot Heading anywhere. Or anywhere there. That sh!t is tired.

And I did have a spectacular Chateau Briand in Santo Domingo for the equivalant of $4. 1989.

NOPE NOPE NOPE!

What a shame.

Safer out in the water with the sharks.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Going to the DR is for middle aged dudes to get laid. It is not for families.
I’ve seen those guys get off the plane and damn if they didn’t have a hoochie mama on their arm before they left the airport.

I’ve been there multiple times with my family and it was fine, but I fell in love with Jamaica.

judson

Reaction score
knew someone that was advised by his attorney to fly there and stay 24 hours and then he could file for divorce without waiting the year period....

he did that...said it was a complete shithole...and that was over 20 years ago...im sure things have not got better...

said he would have taken a bullet if he had to when he was there just so he could get as far away from the nutcase he married....but he said he was scared shitless as well the whole 24hrs