"downtown" Jerry Brown signs the Dream Act

morrow

Banned
Reaction score
California governor signs controversial Dream Act | Reuters

(Reuters) - California Governor Jerry Brown on Saturday signed a controversial bill dubbed the "Dream Act" that would allow illegal immigrants to receive public funds for college education.
"Going to college is a dream that promises intellectual excitement and creative thinking," Brown said in a statement issued by his office.
"The Dream Act benefits us all by giving top students a chance to improve their lives and the lives of all of us," he said.
Brown in July fulfilled a campaign promise by signing into law a companion bill to allow illegal immigrants to receive privately funded college scholarships, but not public funds
Opponents of the 'Dream Act' have argued that public funds should not be used to help illegal immigrants, especially as California faces deep budget woes that have prompted cuts in education funding and higher tuitions at the state's public universities.
California is one of about a dozen states that allows illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition, based on attendance and graduation from a state high school. Only a handful of states also allow for financial aid for those students.
A federal Dream Act that would have created a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants who attend college or serve in the military failed in the Senate last year.

And to think i'm moving back to CA soon! I forgot how bad the politics is there!

JerseyJettfan

Reaction score
Even with an "education" they still are "ILLEGAL" and thus "unemployable".

Luckynumber3

Reaction score
Best not to get angry about something I can't control...

Still, if students like me can't get money for college, then whey would they go to people who shouldn't even be living here and give them money? I might as well go "no habla ingles!" and somehow tear up my citizenship, then maybe I'll get a free ride to college.

Also, one time before I heard a question asked that said "What do illegal immigrants do when they ask for social security numbers at your college an elsewhere?" Im assuming that the answer is faking one (which wouldn't be accepted) or stealing one (identity theft= your rear permanently in jail!).

Same thing with driving- how does an illegal immigrant drive? Do they magically pass a us driving test without having people know that they are here illegally?

Questions to consider when wondering if we should just let everybody run across the us border...

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I as well am moving back in 5 months. Absolutely ridiculous. I am all for someone coming here to do better but this is just gonna kill funding for those who are already here.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but he is democratic. You won't see a republican doing this.

JerseyJettfan

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but he is democratic. You won't see a republican doing this.

He is pandering to a constituency. He will fail like his father before him and Ca. will return to the "rule of law" or fall into the sea.

Luckynumber3

Reaction score
Where does a bankrupt state even find the money for that.

IN light of how the State of California is flat ass broke, I don't see how funding can be appropriated for ANYTHING right now...

Part of my point- schools here in california suck and so does everything else.

When brown was elected, people either loved him or pretty much said that california would slide into the ocean like the rest of the country wants. Well, he hasn't been apocalyptically bad, but its things like this that make me "/facepalm."

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Doesn't strike me as a "good" move, especially for a state that's been experiencing serious money problems.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
arnoldlcr.jpg

Miss me yet?

bertzie

Reaction score
You mean he's allowing private organizations to give money to who they want?!

THE MONSTER!!!!

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bertzie, he's allowing public funds to be used. This isn't private. What kind of moron would spend money to get an education for illegals who are probably behind where they should be and still can't legally do a ****ing thing in this country.

Latest Threads