"Downgrading" to Epiphone

bytemare

Reaction score
So I've had a few Gibson LP's and other models. So far, I've had deal with quality issues on each Gibson LP that I've owned, and I don't mean like slight blemishes, but major issues requiring an exchange, repair, or both. Anyway, I picked up a couple of Epiphones, and I'm blown away. Quality is great, fretwork is pretty good, and the probuckers sounds great!! Not to mention, Epiphones have improvements that for whatever reason aren't on Gibson models, like the locking stopbar and the tailpiece that doesn't fall off, and can be easily adjusted with a slotted screwdriver. Sure, there are things about the Gibson that are nicer: Perfect fretwork and nut, nice matched back wood grain, possibly a better dye on the fretboards, a case.

I by coincidence (long story) acquired a Gibson modern and Epiphone modern. I almost can't tell the difference. The Gibson is slightly nicer in most respects, but the Epiphone feels almost the same, plays great, and sounds awesome. And the stopbar doesn't fall off when changing the strings :D I can't justify the extra 2k for the Gibson...especially for the quality issues.

Then I have a Prophecy and this thing is amazing. Fret work is as good as my Gibsons, the overall design lets you rip leads, and it's got 24 frets!! It even looks cool too (even cooler after I polished it hehe).

Also I feel there's much less of a chance of an Epiphone disappearing from a show, and if it did, it's not huge money.

I'm just wondering what others think. I'm having a hard time justifying the premium for a product that does not seem like a premium product to me. Oh and I don't mean to offend anyone -- I have both! And other brands, and homemade, I love them all!!!

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. That video makes me laugh so hard.

Epiphones are great. If my Gibsons evaporated tonight and all I was left with was my Epi, I would be just fine. It's a great guitar.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
So I've had a few Gibson LP's and other models. So far, I've had deal with quality issues on each Gibson LP that I've owned, and I don't mean like slight blemishes, but major issues requiring an exchange, repair, or both. Anyway, I picked up a couple of Epiphones, and I'm blown away. Quality is great, fretwork is pretty good, and the probuckers sounds great!! Not to mention, Epiphones have improvements that for whatever reason aren't on Gibson models, like the locking stopbar and the tailpiece that doesn't fall off, and can be easily adjusted with a slotted screwdriver. Sure, there are things about the Gibson that are nicer: Perfect fretwork and nut, nice matched back wood grain, possibly a better dye on the fretboards, a case.

I by coincidence (long story) acquired a Gibson modern and Epiphone modern. I almost can't tell the difference. The Gibson is slightly nicer in most respects, but the Epiphone feels almost the same, plays great, and sounds awesome. And the stopbar doesn't fall off when changing the strings :D I can't justify the extra 2k for the Gibson...especially for the quality issues.

Then I have a Prophecy and this thing is amazing. Fret work is as good as my Gibsons, the overall design lets you rip leads, and it's got 24 frets!! It even looks cool too (even cooler after I polished it hehe).

Also I feel there's much less of a chance of an Epiphone disappearing from a show, and if it did, it's not huge money.

I'm just wondering what others think. I'm having a hard time justifying the premium for a product that does not seem like a premium product to me. Oh and I don't mean to offend anyone -- I have both! And other brands, and homemade, I love them all!!!
Dude at the end of the day, it’s a block of wood with wires in it. It don’t matter if it says Gibson on the headstock or if it has duck tape covering the name. The brand doesn’t determine quality and price certainly doesn’t. It’s about building it right, not building with quality. If every guitar was built the way it was supposed to be, quality control wouldn’t even exist as a necessary inspection for them leaving the factory. I worked on a buddies guitar a while ago. It was an Adam Levine 222 first act guitar. In my opinion, first act guitars are great for any level guitarist. The reason being is this. It’s a guitar. Straight up just a guitar. Granted it is not setup at all from the factory, it is good. Shim the neck the right angle, adjust pickup height, set bridge height and intonation, get tuned, fix a couple dead spots in frets, smooth those sharp edges and that thing played awesome. Better than a Gibson sg tribute or fender tele performer I got the chance to play. If I had the tools, materials, and blueprints, (granted I knew what I was doing) I could recreate an exact replica of a 59 les Paul or a 61 355, etc. and there will be no difference in my guitar vs a new Gibson guitar. Why? Because it isn’t about who made it, it’s about how it’s made. People talk a big talk about mim strats and Chinese epiphones, but in reality whether it’s company fault or not, you can always improve and final touch up that guitar to be set for a life time. Again, it’s about how it’s made. Not who makes it. That’s why you see such a difference in high end custom shop fender vs standard line models. Standards lineups are made to be done fast and put together to be put in production. Fender custom shop master built guitars are (usually) made by one person, and that person gives that guitar 100% of his/her attention. Technically speaking, it’s not even a true fender if a single person is the one building it. And yet they are better. Again it’s because of how it’s made. Good deal going for epiphone man. Sorry for the long rant. I get a little testy sometimes

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
In my estimation, the price of Gibson is directly related to two things:

1) Made in the USA

2) Nitrocellulose

Much of the rest is up for debate, such as resale value, diminishing returns, as well Custom shop, M2M, wood selection, etc.

No problem in favoring one or the other, but it’s really not to the detriment of either which one anyone prefers, despite the amount of Gibson bashing online.

I wonder how many Pros record with Epiphones?

And almost every electric guitar made is a copy of either Fender of Gibson designs!

Legacy is a very important consideration, especially in the realm of guitars.

ucsteve

Reaction score
those are defintely the reasons ill get one someday, somehow. sometimes weird shit falls into your lap. Its def about the history, legacy and all. I see all my guitars for what they are in their own rights. some are pretty good, some are just interesting for one reason or another, and some are both. Couplie are def neither. One thing ill hand to epi tho, they are good enough, and inexpensive enough, to get really creative with in a number of ways, and i wouldnt under value that component. You can really find out how to make a guitar yours without a lot of anxiety or heavy risk. Or i could at least

wjlim22

Reaction score
I really like this topic. Everytime it comes up, people get defensive about Epiphone. I've spent the last 2 years looking for the best of the best in Les Pauls and I've ended up with mostly Gibsons and a couple of Epiphones. I could write a huge essay on my thoughts and findings about this, but to make it short, the best of the best Gibsons I've found are incredible guitars that I would prefer over the best of the best Epiphones by a long shot. That being said, the best Epiphones I've found are worth way more than their retail price tag, but I had to do some digging to find them.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

1) Made in the USA
2) Nitrocellulose

Much of the rest is up for debate, such as resale value, diminishing returns, as well Custom shop, M2M, wood selection, etc.
(...)

1) Made in the USA
2) Nitrocellulose
3) "Gibson" on the headstock.

(...)
Fixed!
:thumb:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Right?! Imagine what if it said chibson or gibbon?

Reminds me of my first car, the Ford Maverick.

Sure- Straight 6 Mopar, but I was never really too sure it was actually a Ford... Norlin era, Fender to CBS, WTH is going on?

Then some D’bag stole my 8 tracks outta the car! Who steals 8 tracks?
Did you know that:
"The name "maverick" was derived from the word for unbranded range animals, and the car's nameplate was stylized to resemble the head of Longhorn cattle." (Wiki)
:eek:

They had straight six but certainly not a "Mopar" (Chrysler Group Brand).
;)

That was quite an "Automobile Era" !

USTTRM

Reaction score
I had that green Mav in college. My brother drove it in college beforehand and handed the keys over when he graduated. Great car! Good times..
On the Gibson/ Epi thing it all comes down to the law of diminishing returns. Both have decades of building great guitars so a rose is still a rose etc etc. Which represents true value to you? Personally I would put my 1959 Epi against any Standard in terms of value. It’s a better deal.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
People tend to forget Epiphones are built by Gibson employees in a Gibson owned factory. I've said for years Gibson should follow Fender, PRS and Martin by putting their flagship name on guitars built outside the United States.

Let the purists scream. It hasn't hurt the other companies.

There's no way I'm paying $1500 for a MIA Junior (ridiculous) but give me a MIC clone for half price and I'll think about it.

Like another mentioned they're wood with hardware attached. Built on assembly lines by bored employees the same as the toaster maker down the street. No elves performing magic in the workshop.

There's no question manufacturing in America costs more than overseas. There's also no debate it's the power of a brand name which can add significantly to the cost of a product. People are willing to pay a huge premium be it shoes or guitars and without their money would stay put.

leifpaul

Reaction score
yes, epiphone have really improved after the new people took over gibson . I`ve been epis biggest critic , but I am really impressed with the new ones . they still need some work , thats to be expected . but better than gibson ?? no ! .

Zungle

Reaction score
All that rambling yet thread title still says...."Downgrade" .........:rofl:

Makes me think about the guy who eventually gets married to a fat homely girl that's a really nice person ....because all the hot women he dated had character defects ......

But.... the guy always keeps a few Hustler's and Playboy magazines around so he can still dream........and yeah...you know......

Last edited:

Latest Threads