Doug and Pat compare Gibson Les Paul Specials

mdubya

Reaction score
They compare a 57 single cut and a 60 double cut to modern reissues.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5oIB2o-bw8]Doug and Pat compare Gibson Les Paul Specials.mov - YouTube[/ame]

The guitars are great and I can't imagine how anyone could ever route a 50's P-90 guitar for humbuckers, even PAF's. :hmm:

It is possible that the real star here is the Vox AC10, once again. :shock:

tonebone

Reaction score
"Doug’s passion outside of real estate is music: he is the guitarist for the Portland band Quarterflash for the last 20 years, and he still loves playing and writing music as well as working with at-risk youth through PlayWrite. He enjoys playing tennis as well, but claims to have more enthusiasm than skill."

Doug is an outstanding person. Looking forward to what he and Pat come up with next.

mdubya

Reaction score
"Doug’s passion outside of real estate is music: he is the guitarist for the Portland band Quarterflash for the last 20 years, and he still loves playing and writing music as well as working with at-risk youth through PlayWrite. He enjoys playing tennis as well, but claims to have more enthusiasm than skill."

Doug is an outstanding person. Looking forward to what he and Pat come up with next.
He is an excellent player and he and Pat have the perfect attitude (IMHO) for what they are doing. They apparently have access to some really nice guitars too. :thumb:

Actinic

Reaction score
If there is any better example of why vintage sounds better than modern, then I don't know of any. Some call it honk, the difference between an old P-90 vs. a new one. Nope, I call it body and character. The old P-90's do not suffer from the 1-dimensional character of the new pickups. The difference is more dramatic in-person.

Backstage

Reaction score
Another great video - thanks for posting.

[edit]:Looks like these guys doing more videos in the future - appreciate this a lot.
Anybody knows who they are and what they are doing? To me they are totally new since this last video.

mdubya

Reaction score
Another great video - thanks for posting.

[edit]:Looks like these guys doing more videos in the future - appreciate this a lot.
Anybody knows who they are and what they are doing? To me they are totally new since this last video.
This is only their second video. tonebone says Doug was in the band Quarterflash. There is a photo of him on their website: Marv & Rindy Ross / Quarterflash and he is mentioned on their Wikipedia even though he is not listed as a former member.

I am definitely looking forward to more of their videos.

tonebone

Reaction score
If you follow the lead to where his youtube name goes, he is now in real estate in the PDX area. He's definitely a responsible, caring individual. Sure is nice of him & Pat to put these youtube's up for us. Apparently they were in some band back in the 70's (80's?) called Heavy Thunder or something like that. I'll bet Doug has played on quite a few release's that no one knows about.

Duff's Garage gets some excellent blues players performing. We've been there a couple of time back in the 90's, they used to just have small time local acts.

27sauce

Reaction score
I think the coolest thing about this is that both of their names are verbs.

Vintage-Relic

Reaction score
Man, I only listened on my iPhone and it wasn't even close. That first one sounded killer! Would like to hear the Historic with a better harness and vintage P90s and see how much closer it can get to that vintage tone, but there's no way to replicate the old wood. :dude:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the red singlecut reissue LP special sounded better than the original. It could have something to do with the fact that I own one exactly like it. :D
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Latest Threads