Doubling - achieving Stereo vs. Big Mono

filtersweep

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not a fan of chorus at all but....
....I dunno, clean tones by Eric Johnson, the Edge, Andy Summers, Pat Metheney, Adrian Belew, David Lindley, Billy Duffy, pretty much every 80's new wave guitarist sporting a Roland JC 120, etc. The list is endless. I do not see how a stereo modulation effect could possibly suck anything out of a mix, it doesn't even fight focus if it's supporting a mono, unmodulated version of same guitar track recorded via a different amp. Lot's of players use the wet on the outside, dry in the middle approach. Using chorus on stereo verb or delays to give space to a mono guitar track is also very common and effective.
How wide is the stereo spectrum? I hear very narrow- if not mono chorus tracks on much of the examples listed. I could be wrong.

yeti

Reaction score
How wide is the stereo spectrum? I hear very narrow- if not mono chorus tracks on much of the examples listed. I could be wrong.
I don't know if I can give you a precise value but I can say that when you collapse the track to mono the depth and spaciousness of the guitar all but disappears while the signal itself maintains its volume and tonal character (hopefully). Don't use youtube uploads or other lossy streaming to compare though, stereo has already benn messed with so the difference might not be as pronounced.
But yes, the mono switch on your monitor controller or inside your DAW is your friend, engage it and hear what happens to the width and depth of the guitar, take the reverberated and chorused chords of the police's "walking on the moon" and listen to how much space the guitar takes up, especially as it decays.

dro

Reaction score
If you want to hear some really fat, thick chords. Try doubling the rhythm tracks with a humbucker, and a single coil.
You will get some real nice results.

Latest Threads