Doublecuts

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A recent NGD post by a fellow member has piqued my interest in doublecuts. I don't really know anything about them. Seems pretty straightforward, as far as similar model names and features to regular singlecut LPs (standard, special, junior, etc.) but perhaps with slightly higher prices? Is that accurate or am I just looking at the wrong listings?

I'm inclined toward something with P90s, as I have humbuckers covered already - so probably a special or junior, depending if I decide on one pickup or two. Anyone have experience with these? Are they essentially just regular LPs with a different body shape, or are there other differences?

Any input in appreciated!

Last edited:

LCPG282

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway Faded Cherry with P90s. It's all mahogany (body & neck.) It's top is flat (similar to a single cut Les Paul Special or Junior,) so it differs from a single cut Les Paul Standard, Traditional, Classic or Studio, which have a carved maple top.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway Faded Cherry with P90s. It's all mahogany (body & neck.) It's top is flat (similar to a single cut Les Paul Special or Junior,) so it differs from a single cut Les Paul Standard, Traditional, Classic or Studio, which have a carved maple top.

That's nice! I am inclined to go with a flat top as well, so either a special or junior. I need a guitar for a band I play in that does mostly punk. I am currently using a Strat but I would like something with P-90s.

I would love something in vintage sunburst, which seems uncommon on those models with double cutaways (obviously very common on single-cut juniors especially).

razorpig

Reaction score
I love double cuts, something about them. I've got a Les Paul Special TV Yellow that I just picked up, and I've had this Custom Shop Special Les Paul DC Full Figured for a little over a year and it just plays so easily. I don't know if I like them more than my Les Paul, but I don't like them less, I play them just as much or more and I find myself when looking for a new guitar looking usually just for double cuts.....they're just great. Yours is a beauty too......just curious how does it play, and does it compare to any others your own? Cheers!
Full Body small.jpg

Red Beard

Reaction score
I have a TV yellow Special single cut and a double cut Junior
There both thinner and lighter then my custom,,,actually i think my 1x12 combo is lighter then my custom
But the double cut is much essyer to play past the 12th fret

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love double cuts, something about them. I've got a Les Paul Special TV Yellow that I just picked up, and I've had this Custom Shop Special Les Paul DC Full Figured for a little over a year and it just plays so easily. I don't know if I like them more than my Les Paul, but I don't like them less, I play them just as much or more and I find myself when looking for a new guitar looking usually just for double cuts.....they're just great. Yours is a beauty too......just curious how does it play, and does it compare to any others your own? Cheers! View attachment 490713
Wow, that is a beauty. That's also a good example of what is confusing: That's a Special, but it has humbuckers.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
GibLP_97StudioDC_2291.jpg

Gibson Les Paul 1997 Studio DC - 24 fret - 8 lbs. - Weight Relived (9 holes) - Carved top
Purchased used in 2017 to work on as a project.

Buying used may be the way to go; just to see if you like the DC s.
It is the only DC I own. Some have 22 frets, some 24.

BTW, the tuners and Bridge are not stock.

Good luck with your hunt. Sometimes the journey is the best part.

Injector

Reaction score
I had a DC Standard years ago and thought it sounded crap. Nothing like a Les Paul. I soon sold it.

pondcaster

Reaction score
I love double cuts, something about them. I've got a Les Paul Special TV Yellow that I just picked up, and I've had this Custom Shop Special Les Paul DC Full Figured for a little over a year and it just plays so easily.
View attachment 490713
Man, wish they made a Special Les Paul DC Full Figured outside of the custom shop. That is one sweet LP.

Or have they?

JMP

Reaction score
Check out the original Epiphone Genesis models from the late 1970s. They are essentially double cut LesPauls. They are a bargain in the vintage world. There’s one for sale locally and I continue to stay away as I simply do not need another guitar ( but I sure do want it!).

Geronimo

Reaction score
I just picked up this 2019 Custom Les Paul Special DC Figured lightly used in May. It’s become my main guitar. It’s light, the neck is smaller than my 58 RI but not as small as my SGs, and there’s access to all of the frets.
8661495C-D694-48CD-BEE8-9BC5E8FBDA43.jpeg
13BFBD27-200D-4C21-9203-52F50E9F26A3.jpeg
BCDD5AD8-0931-4795-BB03-962BFB74E84E.jpeg

Latest Threads