Double Whites ?!?!?!

gtrdd

Reaction score
:hmm:
How often did Gibson use factory double white PAF's on 58-60 Les Pauls?
Thanks !!

EvLectric

Reaction score
Just between 59 & 60. Numbers? I doubt anyone can answer that. It might be slightly possible some late 58's had them but doubtful.
My best somewhat educated guess.

Xpensive Wino

Reaction score
[FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1]From what I recall, there was an issue with the available supply of the material Gibson normally used and they substituted white (can't say cream - DiMarzio owns that term) bobbins for a while.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Starting in early 1959, PAF pickup bobbins started to be (randomly) white. On all zebra (half black, half white) PAF pickups, the white bobbin is almost always the non-adjustable bobbin (though there are rare exceptions)."

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Again in 1959 white bobbins were fairly common, and some pickups were Zebras (as seen above) and some were "double whites" (as seen below). For example, on Les Paul Standards around serial number "9 0600", the plastic humbucker pickup bobbins can often be white. By mid-1960 the use of white PAF bobbins ceased, and PAF pickups again because all black ("double black")."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helv,helvetica][SIZE=-1]

Gibson PAF Humbuckers Pickups Patent Applied For Pickups M69 M-69 pickup rings - Vintage Guitars Info
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Pete M

Reaction score
There was some collector who changed all his bursts to double whites.

EvLectric

Reaction score
There was some collector who changed all his bursts to double whites.
And dammit if I wasn't two sleeping pills (I am the Maniac insomniac....and yes it's copyrighted) in I'd remember his name.

mbowen

Premium Member
Reaction score
Kosta Kovachev[sp].Was the collector.He put double whites in a lot of bursts that did not have them originally.

tag2

Reaction score
He got into some trouble on Wall St.

mbowen

Premium Member
Reaction score
He got into some trouble on Wall St.
That is the mild version.He was convicted of numerous crimes all involving stealing people's money in a variety of scheme's.I believe he went to jail for a while maybe more than once.He always paid the guitar guys though,most of them loved him.Mike B.

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fascinating... so what guitars did he own and what became of them?

Fletch

RAG7890

Reaction score
Mike a few people who know, have told me that quite a number of well known Bursts have had their parts swapped out by dealers in the US.

Makes me wonder how many original untouched Bursts there are in circulation?

Cheers, Rudi

Pete M

Reaction score
The Jeff Beck burst for one:

I guess it's true some people have more money than sense. :facepalm:

It's funny isn't it? Where do we get this fascination with double whites? Was there a famous player who had exposed double whites? Was it a Dimarzio super distortion thing? What started it?

Jean Christophe

Reaction score
Mike a few people who know, have told me that quite a number of well known Bursts have had their parts swapped out by dealers in the US.

Makes me wonder how many original untouched Bursts there are in circulation?

Cheers, Rudi
Mine is all original :dude:
JC

mbowen

Premium Member
Reaction score
Kosta owned close to 60 Bursts,when he went down.A lot were sold thru The House Of Guitars .Rudi a lot of bursts have swapped pick-ups yes that is true.Personally i never cared if solder joints were broken or worn out parts were replaced and neither did a lot of the burst collectors.If it had a top guys did not care a lot about breaks touch-ups re-necks etc --to a lot of burst collectors it is the TOP that comes First.Not saying all or that it is the way it should be --just a fact as i know it.Mike B.

mbowen

Premium Member
Reaction score
The Jeff Beck burst for one:

I guess it's true some people have more money than sense. :facepalm:

It's funny isn't it? Where do we get this fascination with double whites? Was there a famous player who had exposed double whites? Was it a Dimarzio super distortion thing? What started it?
Kosta also put whites in my old baby 9-1898 when he got it.Gibson could not make double whites Dimarrzio patented them so you could not get any whites unless you got old ones or Dimarrzio's which few wanted.That is what helped cause the DW shortage and prices.Mike B.

goldtop0

Reaction score
The prices go... Double Black short magnet PAFs being the least expensive, then dbl black long magnet, then zebras, then double whites going through the roof.
The plastic makes no difference to the sound........only the price:hmm:

58burst

Reaction score
Some very rare reverse zebras from a '60 (I believe) es345- these pickups are now in my '58 (which I got without paf's originally).

Latest Threads